r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Round Two: Why Not Null At QB For Rams?

11.25.2009 11:53 am
    Why not Null at QB for Rams?
    By Roger Hensley

QUESTION: With only six games remaining and the St. Louis Rams sitting at 1-9, and with QB Marc Bulger injured, why are the Rams not considering Keith Null at QB so they can see what they’ve got there? Rookie QBs play all the time, surely he’s prepared after being with the team since training camp, right?

JIM THOMAS

Apparently this is hard for some to fathom, but Keith Null IS NOT READY. He played at WEST Texas A&M, not Texas A&M. It wasn’t until October that he even felt comfortable taking snaps from center. If you think Marc Bulger had communication and timing issues with Brandon Gibson, what do you think will happen with Null? To borrow from a Rams Park colleague, about the best thing Null has going for him right now is an absence of failure. And whether you’re 1-9 or 9-1 — this is the NFL. You play to win. This is November, not August. And right now, Kyle Boller gives the Rams their best chance to win.

BERNIE MIKLASZ

No. 1, Null is a very raw project. A small-college guy from a spread offense. He needs a lot of time to prep before he can start an NFL game. He’s at a disadvantage compared to other rookie QBs who played in major-college programs and in more pro-style offenses.

No. 2, he has had virtually no practice time at all in running this offense. It would be a disservice to the kid to throw him to the wolves. Why do people want to see him fail at a job before he’s ready to take on that job? What’s the point? Why get him massacred? Irresponsible.

No. 3, the Rams aren’t as high on Null as people seem to think that they are.

BRYAN BURWELL

Unless there is a major medical disaster to Kyle Boller, there is no reason to put a rookie QB who doesn’t forecast as a star into the lineup as a starter. Would I like to see him in for a look-see? Sure, but perhaps the Rams staff has already seen enough of Null and they don’t think he is ready yet.

BILL COATS

Null’s simply not ready. As the No. 3 QB, he’s gotten very few reps in practice since the start of the regular season because Kyle Boller does the scout-team work. It would be unfair to Null to toss him in there now. You would set him up to fail by doing so.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Round Two: Why Not Null At QB For Rams?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    11.25.2009 11:53 am
    Why not Null at QB for Rams?
    By Roger Hensley

QUESTION: With only six games remaining and the St. Louis Rams sitting at 1-9, and with QB Marc Bulger injured, why are the Rams not considering Keith Null at QB so they can see what they’ve got there? Rookie QBs play all the time, surely he’s prepared after being with the team since training camp, right?

JIM THOMAS

Apparently this is hard for some to fathom, but Keith Null IS NOT READY. He played at WEST Texas A&M, not Texas A&M. It wasn’t until October that he even felt comfortable taking snaps from center. If you think Marc Bulger had communication and timing issues with Brandon Gibson, what do you think will happen with Null? To borrow from a Rams Park colleague, about the best thing Null has going for him right now is an absence of failure. And whether you’re 1-9 or 9-1 — this is the NFL. You play to win. This is November, not August. And right now, Kyle Boller gives the Rams their best chance to win.

BILL COATS

Null’s simply not ready. As the No. 3 QB, he’s gotten very few reps in practice since the start of the regular season because Kyle Boller does the scout-team work. It would be unfair to Null to toss him in there now. You would set him up to fail by doing so.
    Unfair to Null?

Set him up for failure?

Hmmm.... Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning failed their 1st season. How'd that workout for them?

How's Mark Sanchez the kid from the big school program doing?

Now I'm not saying that Null is in the same class as Aikman, Manning or even Sanchez. However I would sure like to put the Null (is he NFL material or not) questions to bed. The RAMS would be foolish not getting this kid on the field at some point THIS season.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

I realize that this is a news article, but this is also the 3rd thread about Null. Is there any reason this could not have been posted to one of the other 2 existing threads?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Now I'm not saying that Null is in the same class as Aikman, Manning or even Sanchez. However I would sure like to put the Null (is he NFL material or not) questions to bed. The RAMS would be foolish not getting this kid on the field at some point THIS season.
    What do you think the odds are that Boller survives the next 6 games?

If Null isn't prepared to play in the NFL and he's our #2 QB (when they only go with 2 QBs), that's extremely negligent on their behalf. EXTREMELY. That's just saying that Null is 1 play away from having his career irrevocably damaged by being force to play. If they think Null is that ill-prepared, why wasn't he on the practice squad all season and a better option available in case of emergency?

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think playing Null effectively tells the team, "we're packing it in for the season" and would crush the already fragile morale. This team is improving every week and showing more heart and determination that I can remember in recent years. We're finally finishing games, and making them close in the end, rather than being completely blown out in the second half. What kind of attitude do you think the team will have when the message being conveyed to them by the front office and coaching staff is that "we've given up on the season, and we're looking at the future"? It's certainly not a pretty picture to imagine, and a near certainty of finishing the season with one win.

Don't you think most of them figured that out when they voluntarily took over $20 million in cap hits to cut Trent Green (is he better than Null?), Orlando Pace, Torry Holt, Chris Draft and Pisa? I mean really, when did they think this season was about winning?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Don't you think most of them figured that out when they voluntarily took over $20 million in cap hits to cut Trent Green (is he better than Null?), Orlando Pace, Torry Holt, Chris Draft and Pisa? I mean really, when did they think this season was about winning?

Well, they may not have been predicting a super bowl appearance this year, but I guarantee you that the players were and are still, primarily concerned with winning, and believe they have a chance to do so. I mean, it can be argued that we have less talent on our team this year, but we're competing at a much higher level.

And they made the decision to part with those players to get out of the financial hell that the previous regime had left them in. I'm sure that if the Rams were in different cap shape at the beginning of this year, some of those players would still be on the roster.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Can anyone please answer not onlywhy he was drafted but why he is still on the roster? If this kid hasnt been able to understand an offense after going through training camp and 9 weeks of football then why is he even in the NFL? Talk about a wasted roster spot.
    Just Fix It

HornyRam is offline Registered User

I'm sure it boils down to what the coaching staff thinks NOT what the sportswriters say.

The fact that Null played at a small school should not be much of a consideration. Talent, ability and knowledge of the offense should be the key factors.

Top Ten Big Name NFL QB Busts:

1. Ryan Leaf
    2. Akili Smith
    3. Heath Shuler
    4. Tim Couch
    5. David Klingler
    6. Cade McNown
    7. Andre Ware
    8. Todd Blackledge
    9. Todd Marinovich
    10. Dan McGwire

A Few Small School Success Stories:

1. Joe Flacco (Baltimore Ravens) – College: Delaware
    2. Tony Romo (Dallas Cowboys) – College: Eastern Illinois
    3. Steve McNair (Tennesee Titans) - College: Alcorn State
    4. Jake Delhomme (Carolina Panthers) – College: Louisiana-Lafayette
    5. Josh Johnson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) – College: University of San Diego
    6. Kurt Warner (Arizona Cardinals) – College: Northern Iowa

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Can anyone please answer not onlywhy he was drafted but why he is still on the roster? If this kid hasnt been able to understand an offense after going through training camp and 9 weeks of football then why is he even in the NFL? Talk about a wasted roster spot.
    Wasted draft pick too. But I'm going to hold my judgement until the future. If he ever gets to play that is.

I think you guys may be jumping the gun a little bit on labeling him a waste of a pick and spot on the roster. I mean, you have to give the staff some time to coach him up, and to let him adjust to the NFL level. He was drafted to be in this role, not to come in immediately and contribute. In all reality, he should be given at least a couple of years to get adjusted. He would have been picked much higher if he were expected to come in and be a major contributor to a team. Just give him some time to develop.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I think you guys may be jumping the gun a little bit on labeling him a waste of a pick and spot on the roster. I mean, you have to give the staff some time to coach him up, and to let him adjust to the NFL level. He was drafted to be in this role, not to come in immediately and contribute. In all reality, he should be given at least a couple of years to get adjusted. He would have been picked much higher if he were expected to come in and be a major contributor to a team. Just give him some time to develop.
    This isnt immediately, this is week 10 for crying out loud and one of the writers said he looks uncomfortable taking snaps. How could you still be this inept 10 weeks into the NFL season? It's not like we are asking the staff to throw him in in week 1. He didnt look that uncomfortable in pre-season, and what do we really have to lose at this point. I want to know if the guy can play, if not see you later. We already know Kyle boller cant play and probably wont lead us to any victories so start the rookie. Null has had plenty of time to grasp an offense and if he still cant figure it out we wastd a draft pick on him. We've got wr's coming in and are expected to grasp the offense in 3 weeks and Marc Bulger expected to look great throwing to them, but Null isnt ready in week 10 come on.
    Last edited by rammiser; -11-26-2009 at 11:58 AM.
    Just Fix It

Personally I'm more inclined to believe the writers are completely over stating their position since we saw him take snaps in preseason but if they aren't, and he's truly that horrible, it's irresponsible that he's been on the active roster this long.