Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

Re: Rumor Mill - Rams apparently one of the teams bidding on rights to new L.A. stadi

I'd want to see the ST. LOUIS rams move to Albuquerque before ever going to LA. (Dead Serious), and I actually like New Mex but anyway...

Why people continue to ignore the fact how populated the LA sports market is, is beyond me. You didn't support the team when you had them and yet you want to believe any team is going to consider moving to LA to compete with the 8 franchises already there?....yeah...right.
    Give it up guys, you had your chance and you squandered it.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Rumor Mill - Rams apparently one of the teams bidding on rights to new L.A. stadi

funny I was driving home, close to the Carson site (405 & Del Amo Blvd), and noticed the landscaping like a stadium. I don't know why it doesn't look industrial. Anyways food for thought! This is the same area of past stadium proposal. That stadium was suppose to be called the Hacienda and it was to house the Texans franchise.
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -02-08-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: had wron street, correct now!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

It was Mr. Green the gardener in the stadium with the candlestick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by larams1980 View Post
    I don't think there would be a problem selling out games in LA. The area is prime for nfl football and there are alot of die hard rams fans still around here. I think alot of people will dump their current team and rally around the rams.. And with Roski as the owner I think he will keep building on the current young talent and put a good team for us LA fans to watch.
    Yeah I work with a guy from L.A., hes currently a Buccaneer fan, and when I told em about the POSSiBiLiTY of Rams going back and he flipped, said he'd definitely switch BACK to his old team...I dont think LA would have a problem selling out, I mean have yall seen the pics of the stadium??..(I dont know how the hell to post a pic on here )

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Yeah dude were going to Rams game today but got to roll to the beach before half time since Frankie and Annette will be there LOL. The Rams are supported in St. Louis and will get a new stadium if hustle and effort is part of the team's mantra again.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

L.A. fans holding out for a return of the Rams really should listen to the Silent Bob soliloquy from Chasing Amy.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

It sounds like baloney to me. The Rams are here till 2015, plus, do you really think the NFL would allow a team in another city to get the rights on a stadium? The league still has to vote to allow moves, and there is no way they send that kind of message.

It's malarkey, and ridiculous.
    Barry Waller

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    It sounds like baloney to me. The Rams are here till 2015, plus, do you really think the NFL would allow a team in another city to get the rights on a stadium? The league still has to vote to allow moves, and there is no way they send that kind of message.

But Barry, it was the landscaper! We all know that landscapers have a rigid standard of conduct...especially in matters such as this.

As I recall, Al Davis moved the Raiders to LA without the approval of the league. Then again, I think most owners believe Al is a zombie that will eat their flesh, anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Truth is offline Registered User

Although I don't think the team is going to move at this point, unless the Ed Dome can meet the criteria set forth in the contract, they could lose the Rams prior to 2015. At any rate, here is an artists rendition of the new LA Stadium complex. It's actually quite impressive, and I'm sure the NFL would love to see this built. Since Dez has said he doesn't want us posting links, you can find more info by Googling "New Los Angeles Football Stadium".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Frankly, I don't like the design of the stadium. The stands slope too gradually away from the field. If you are not in the lower reserve, the players will look like ants. It also depends on multi-level parking garages which are a nightmare to get in and out of, plus you can't tailgate.

It may look flashy and patterned to attract the Super Bowl venue, but as a fan friendly experience, it would suck.

Since we are discussing "rumors".....
    NFL's Saint Louis Rams moving to Anchorage

Posted: April 1, 2008 - 6:05 am
    An article in Sports Illistrated said the Rams are looking to move.
    Possible locations include Anchorage, Honolulu, Sacramento and
    Rhode Island.
    It wants to come to Alaska to maintain traditional football weather.
    League officials are hoping to get funding from the Permanate Fund.
    Football Statium would be located accros the inlet, near Pt. McKenzie.
    Offers from the NFL would include statium and site developement.
    Owners are hoping the state will be willing to share team owneship.
    Local investments would be required for infulstructure developement.
    Somewhere near 750 million dollars from PFD is needed.

But there is the realistic outlook....
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    05/21/2008

Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom confirmed Tuesday that he has been approached about selling the team but reiterated his family's interest in keeping the football franchise in St. Louis, its home since 1995.

"When a team is passed from one generation to another, it becomes a calling card that the team must be for sale," said Rosenbloom, who became the team's chairman after his mother, Georgia Frontiere, died in January. "Nothing has changed since my mom's passing. We've been approached by several people. And while we deal with her estate, I can assure you we have every intention of keeping the Rams in St. Louis."

A National Football League source told the Post-Dispatch that the sale of the Rams is being discussed in league circles.

Yahoo Sports reported on Monday that the Rams were being shopped in the $850 million to $900 million range. Former San Francisco ***** owner Eddie DeBartolo told Yahoo: "I know that they are definitely in play. Georgia's kids have decided to sell the team. I've talked to some people who are brokering things, and they've told me about the price and what the deal might entail."

Through a spokesman, DeBartolo declined to comment further Tuesday. Rams President John Shaw did not return a phone message, and attempts to reach Stan Kroenke, who owns 40 percent of the team, also were unsuccessful. But a high-ranking Rams official said, "No decision has been made to sell the team."

And Rosenbloom, responding to an e-mail later Tuesday night, replied: "We are not shopping the team.''

While DeBartolo speculated on a new owner moving the Rams out of St. Louis, the team's lease with the Edward Jones Dome ties the franchise to the city through 2015.

The team can choose to opt out of the agreement in 2015 if dome facilities everything from seats to the playing surface do not rank in the top quarter of the league's 32 stadiums.

"It has to be at least as good as the top eight of the league," said Bruce Sommer, director of the America's Center, which manages the dome.

Sommer did not immediately know what in the fine print of the lease a voluminous document that takes up three thick binders would cover attempts by the Rams to relocate prior to 2015.

But, if nothing else, Sommer believes an attempt to move out of St. Louis before then would trigger a court challenge.

"There is a lease they can be sued," Sommer said. "Whether or not we have a specific provision penalties or what have you I just don't recall. In the 13 years they have been there, it just has not been a topic."

Since taking over as chairman of the Rams, Rosenbloom has made it clear that he intends to keep the team here. "I think that St. Louis is a great home for the Rams," he said April 25 at Rams Park. "I think St. Louis is as committed to the Rams as the Rams are committed to St. Louis."

The Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority is spending $30 million on dome upgrades to meet lease requirements. Dan Dierdorf, chairman of the Convention and Visitors Commission, the dome's landlord, said the bill promised to be vastly higher the next time.

"You can speculate as to what kind of money we're talking about; $30 million again, that's unrealistic," he said. "The dome is going to be 20 years old. So, are we talking about hundreds of millions of dollars to update the dome, or are we talking about a brand-new stadium?

"There needs to be a dialogue involving the business community, the political community and the sports community. Everyone has to start talking about, what are we going to do to make sure that the Rams are here through the end of the lease?"

Additional revenue, Dierdorf conceded, will have to come from the city, county and state taxpayers who also funded construction of the dome.

Rosenbloom, 43, and his sister Lucia Rodriguez, 46, could be facing their own monetary predicament. Frontiere's estate has yet to be settled, and if the team remains within the family, the heirs could be hit with a hefty tax bill.

Several NFL owners have restructured ownership rights so that estate taxes could be minimized. The most recent NFL team sold was the Minnesota Vikings, for $600 million in May 2005. Forbes magazine recently valued the Rams franchise at $908 million.

"We're fortunate to be in a (financial) position where we don't have to sell the team, which allows us to sort of keep our choices open right now," Rosenbloom said in the February interview.

Still, a sale at some point to a buyer who perhaps would have to agree not to move the team for a specified period wouldn't seem to be out of the question.

Bryan Burwell, Jim Thomas and Jake Wagman of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.
    Oh boy. This subject just isn't going to die for the next few years. For now, let's take a look at where things stand with the news and rumors of a potential Rams sale or, gulp, move.

Are the Rams for sale?
    Maybe.
    All this talk started yesterday when Yahoo!'s Michael Silver reported that former ***** owner Eddie DeBartolo said the Rams were "definitely in play." DeBartolo's statements were backed by other unnamed league sources according to Silver. Rams ownership quickly issued a statement noting that they had no intention of moving the team from St. Louis, saying nothing about a potential sale. Rosenbloom said: "We are not shopping the team."
    The Rams owners have yet to explicitly deny that the team is for sale, and the most recent statement does not preclude listen to and discussing offers. Getting into all of this nuance might be a little bit of guardhouse lawyering. However, the statements issued by the Rams owners since Silver's story surfaced have been very carefully worded, and they mostly gone to great lengths to note that they "have every intention of keeping the team in St. Louis."
    The Rams are valued at more than $900 million, according to Forbes. And with the passing of Georgia Frontiere, whose children Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez inherited the team, it's not out of the ordinary that potential buyers would start asking around.

Will they sell the team?
    People will make offers, official or not, and they'll listen; they'd be fools not to. They'll also be looking at a substantial estate tax bill in the wake of Georgia's passing; however, Rosenbloom, as the PD pointed out, said earlier this year in responding to similar questions about the team's for sale status, they're not in a place financially where they have to sell the team.
    Tune your attention to this part of Rosenbloom's statement from yesterday:
    "We've been approached by several people. We plan on using the season to show that the performance on the field will be exciting and to honor my mom. And while we deal with her estate I can assure you we have every intention of keeping the Rams in St. Louis and will have no further comment on this article."
    The continued emphasis on keeping the team in St. Louis, as we speculated yesterday, wouldn't rule out selling the Rams and including a provision for keeping the Rams in St. Louis for a set amount of time as part of the deal. Also note the emphasis on the coming season, tuning up a 3 win team with young players under contract could help up the value. Getting a better team on the field will bring in more fans, i.e. more revenue, which will make keeping the team in St. Louis easier or luring a potential buyer willing to accept a clause to keep the team in STL in the face of a looming CBA battle and a big empty market in a little place called Los Angeles...or Las Vegas for that matter.

Will the Rams move?
    Not in the immediate future. Whether "Georgia's kids" sell or not, the Rams have a lease to stay in the Edward Jones Dome until 2015. At that time, the Rams can opt out if the deal if the facilities don't rank among the top quarter (8 of 32) in the league. At that point in time, it's unlikely the Dome will meet those standards, based on the comments made by the Chairman of the Convention and Visitors Bureau, to the PD. Even with the $30 million infusion for upgrades, it likely won't be enough as new facilities spring up around the league.

So what happens in 2015?
    The magic 8-ball isn't so clear on this. The ownership situation and a new CBA will have a lot to do with what happens at that point. Assuming the league, the owners and the players union work out a deal that remains at least somewhat friendly for small market teams, there would at least be incentive to stay in STL, where the Rams franchise can make a profit. You can bet there'll be clamoring for a new stadium though from owners, the Convention and Business Bureau and other interested parties. New stadiums mean more money, and that's particularly true when local taxpayers kick in at least something to pay for it.
    The bottom line is this: if the Rams are going to stay in St. Louis, they'll be asking for a new stadium. And with LA or Vegas interests begging the league for a team, the Cardinals trick of threatening a move across the Mississippi River won't even be necessary...and quite frankly wouldn't matter as much to the league and fans as it would the City of St. Louis itself.

Can the Rams opt out of the Ed Jones Dome lease before 2015?
    They can try, but you can bet it won't go down without a fight. The city and the dome's owners have a vested interest in keeping the team here through that date; they do generate revenue you know. The parties could always work out a settlement, and the CBA madness might make give the team a good argument that they just plain can't afford to honor the lease. Leases that fill three large binders are bound to have a few sticking points each side's lawyers could latch on to.
    Whatever happens, there's nothing out there to suggest that the Rams will be leaving St. Louis in the immediate future. So, the best thing to do for us fans is probably to focus most of our attention on the 2008 season, while maintaining a keen awareness of whether or not we need to start printing those "future fans of a St. Louis NFL team" t-shirts that filled area sports bars from 1988-1994.
    Last edited by bigredman; -02-07-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Frankly, I don't like the design of the stadium. The stands slope too gradually away from the field. If you are not in the lower reserve, the players will look like ants. It also depends on multi-level parking garages which are a nightmare to get in and out of, plus you can't tailgate.

It may look flashy and patterned to attract the Super Bowl venue, but as a fan friendly experience, it would suck.
    You have to remember that this is just an artist's rendering. The slope for seating looks much like that of the Rose Bowl. I've seen tons of games there, and love that stadium. If you have to sit in the upper decks, it would be nice not to feel like you might fall off a cliff. You've got to love that this is a PRIVATELY funded project.

As for parking, I haven't heard that they were planning on multi level units. I agree, those are a pain to get in and out of.

Tailgating?? In L.A.?? Never heard of it. More the get in, get out type of crowd. I think the planned attractions at the site would take up most of the fans time.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post

What if a group associated with the stadium were to buy the Rams? They could put the building on reserve until they can buy their way out of the lease.

L.A.RamFan is offline Registered User

Don't tease me like this! I'm getting all giddy inside just thinking about it!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Although I don't think the team is going to move at this point, unless the Ed Dome can meet the criteria set forth in the contract, they could lose the Rams prior to 2015. At any rate, here is an artists rendition of the new LA Stadium complex. It's actually quite impressive, and I'm sure the NFL would love to see this built. Since Dez has said he doesn't want us posting links, you can find more info by Googling "New Los Angeles Football Stadium".

Purple seats? Vikings are another team on the table!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheTalkOfTheArch View Post
    I'd want to see the ST. LOUIS rams move to Albuquerque before ever going to LA. (Dead Serious), and I actually like New Mex but anyway...

Why people continue to ignore the fact how populated the LA sports market is, is beyond me. You didn't support the team when you had them and yet you want to believe any team is going to consider moving to LA to compete with the 8 franchises already there?....yeah...right.
    Give it up guys, you had your chance and you squandered it.
    Just like people who don't live in L.A. We did support our team. they moved because Georgia wanted more money. Plain and simple

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast