Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

RUMOR The Packers expect to extend a contract offer to Brandon Chillar

The Packers expect to extend a contract offer to Brandon Chillar in the next few days.
    RUMOR ON ROTOWORLD

Strong-side linebacker Brandon Chillar and defensive end Corey Smith met with the Packers as they went through the process of picking their next team. A signing by either player does not appear imminent.

Chillar, a 6-foot-3, 242-pound former St. Louis Ram, flew to Green Bay on Tuesday after visiting the Arizona Cardinals. There he told reporters that he would "love to be a Cardinal" but Chillar indicated he is looking for the best contract.

"It comes down to finances," the 27-year-old said. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I'd like to make the right decision for me and my family."

Chillar is expected to receive an offer from the Packers, who view him as competition for starter Brady Poppinga, in the next few days. Chillar will then decide from among the Packers, Cardinals and possibly the Rams.
    Chillar was hoping to get an offer he couldn't turn down from the Cardinals but that never materialized because the team doesn't have much room under the salary cap. Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt told reporters the team would have to cut players to sign other free agents, unless they can restructure some contracts.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: RUMOR The Packers expect to extend a contract offer to Brandon Chillar

Well we do have Culberson and Draft. Nothing to stress out about

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Draft could be good. Culberson could be good. We have a draft coming up. I like him but lets not go over the edge and throw money at him.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Draft should already be about as good as he's gonna get. Don't bank on Culberson though. Neither will be an upgrade over Chillar otherwise he wouldn't have started last year. But overall, still nothing to worry about, draft one late.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

We'd probably have to pay way more than we should to keep him. For the record, I'd rather see him in Green Bay than Arizona. I will miss saying "It's getting a little 'cold' in here" when he makes a play.
    :1:

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'm pretty sure Chillar will be gone.
    I was hoping we could keep him around, he was a very solid LB, the kind that won't make those Sportcenter Top Ten plays, but also the kind that will rarely miss an assignment or tackle.
    Some team will be lucky to get him.

RedArcher, Draft is a tackling machine. I think he's a good LB. With Chillar gone, he can do a good job there. Sure, he's not as good as Chillar...but he's good.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

So, you don't disagree, but you don't agree?

What I'm trying to say is, even if Chillar is gone, we have potential players in Draft and Culberson.

Draft was a tackling machine, and I haven't seen him play in recent years because he's been a back up. I believe that Draft still has it in him.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Report says Chillar is 27? was sure hes younger than that...24/25?

have been thinking its a similar situation to the Pickett debacle in some ways,a player that performed decent enough in his previous years then improved to a good level in his first "contract" year,but was/is being let go due to cheapness of Rams FO!
    if i knew what the Rams had up their sleeve regarding the SAM position then i may be happier,remember we may have players on the roster who can play that position,but we have none that the position is their "Major"!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

if you look at the current cap space the Rams have, it looks as though they cant give Chillar the big pay day he is clearly looking for

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

There he told reporters that he would "love to be a Cardinal" but Chillar indicated he is looking for the best contract.
    feel free to fall in love my friend. no offense, but with our needs chris draft is very capable

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

What exactly is he looking for? Ryan Pickett was not looking for much. What did he get with Packer; something like 5yr 15 mil. What did London Fletch want. 5yr/$15mil

What if we say that Chillar wants 4yr/12mil with say 2.5mil SB. Would that be alot for a starting LB? We signed a kicker for 5yr 14mil. What did we give Witherspoon. 6yr 30-35mil? Paid twice as much to replace London Fletcher wants.

This might come back and bite the Rams in the behind if he is asking for low starting LB money and we refuse to give him that. This organization has a history of trying to do things on the cheap and getting bit in the a** .
    As the old saying goes:

The cheap becomes the expensive.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The Rams always have a cheap idea on their defense, but shell out big bucks on the offensive side of the ball when it comes to retaining their own FA's. Who have the Rams resigned lately? Little? That's about it. Oh, Pisa who can't stay healthy but Chillar is on the field every game.

Chillar plays with a big motor and was a very steady defensive player for the Rams. I'm hopeful for Culberson but Draft is in his 30's and the body is wearing down I'm sure. Good for Chillar if he gets his payday.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Jim Thomas was talking about Chillar last week and he said Chillar had this idea that he would get a massive contract offer in free agency. He went and visited a few teams and nobody offered him a contract. When he left Green Bay without a contract, Thomas said he was shocked. He said the Rams would be interested in him coming back if they could agree on a settlement but that Chillar's idea of his worth is very different from what teams seem to think he is worth (especially the Rams).

Chillar was routinely out of position last season. I really don't see what everyone has seen in his production to act like the Rams should pay whatever he asks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-11-2008, 12:43 AM