Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: RUMOR The Packers expect to extend a contract offer to Brandon Chillar

Maybe Devaney told Chillar to go out and test the market to get a better sense of what his worth is and then the Rams will be in a better bargaining position to offer him what they feel he's worth to them.

Of course I'm probably being a rosey eyed optimist because the Rams are notoriously cheap in these matters. If they feel they can get by with Draft or Culberson at less $ then they'll do that and save the money for the offense.

Let's hope we wind up with the best player at the SAM LB spot for many years to come.

Go Rams!:r

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Draft should already be about as good as he's gonna get. Don't bank on Culberson though. Neither will be an upgrade over Chillar otherwise he wouldn't have started last year. But overall, still nothing to worry about, draft one late.
    That logic doesn't really work. If Brady was as good as Bledsoe, he would have started earlier, same with Tony Romo.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Chillar is only 25 years old.

The only shot we have at a good defense this year is the D'line. If they draft a DE, we could be much improved. Our LB's are small, and Chillar was actually the biggest. (They're all in the 235-240 range, at least on paper.). No true MLB. The hope is that with a front four that can get pressure, we can get by with these guys at LB, but I would prefer we keep Chillar. I don't believe he's completely dispensible. Like Pickett, Chillar has been playing better each year and he's young, so I think there is quite a bit of "upside" there....

I will miss saying "It's getting a little 'cold' in here" when he makes a play.
    Can't you still say that when "Draft" makes a play???????

(actually, perhaps Green Bay is the perfect place for a guy named "Chillar". They'll love him in the frozen tundra.)

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Chillar was routinely out of position last season. I really don't see what everyone has seen in his production to act like the Rams should pay whatever he asks.
    I have to agree with you there. This guy was a below average linebacker his entire career and finally had a decent season (not spectacular) in a contract year. He still missed plenty of tackles, was pretty pourous in coverage, and was out of position on a bunch of occassions. You can't give him money that's comparitive to the upper tier outside linebackers. Now, I agree with someone else's assertion about Ryan Pickett- out of all the 1st round picks we wasted on DTs- he was definately the most solid, but because lovie smith didn't want to admit that jimmy kennedy was a flat out bust- Pickett got let go, so that fatboy could have a chance to start. All that succeeded in doing was proving what many of us already knew- kennedy couldn't play. Thanks lovie!!!

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

That logic doesn't really work. If Brady was as good as Bledsoe, he would have started earlier, same with Tony Romo
    Of course that logic works. That's why you have starters and back ups. You have an aged vet in Draft, we know what he's done. You have an undrafted rookie in Culberson. It's a safe bet he's not as good as Chillar. Chillar is also younger than Draft, so you're comparison is all off.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I have to agree with you there. This guy was a below average linebacker his entire career and finally had a decent season (not spectacular) in a contract year. He still missed plenty of tackles, was pretty pourous in coverage, and was out of position on a bunch of occassions. You can't give him money that's comparitive to the upper tier outside linebackers.
    You say he's been a below average linebacker his "entire" career? I totally have to disagree with you there. For one he has only been in the league four years. He has progressively gotten better each year and in this last year he was actually in position OFTEN. Granted, he is NOT top tier, but he is also not going to get top tier money from anyone. Although I doubt that we will keep him, I am still convinced it's a mistake to let him go, especially for the fairly low amount of money (considering) that it would take to keep him.

Rambos is offline Registered User

OldSchoolRamFan Welcome to the Clan, nice first post keep them coming.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Draft should already be about as good as he's gonna get. Don't bank on Culberson though. Neither will be an upgrade over Chillar otherwise he wouldn't have started last year.

That's not necessarily true. The fact that Chillar started actually means nothing. There are back-ups all over the league with more talent than the player starting in front of them. Some players simply take longer to develop than others, and in some cases players just need to learn the defense before they take over. Some players are coaches favorites. I could go on and on with reasons why one player starts over another, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-11-2008, 12:43 AM