Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams hire Kurt Schottenheimer as new DB coach

This is being floated around. Hopefully someone can confirm.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-25-2005 at 01:07 AM.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Re: RUMOR: Rams hire Kurt Schottenheimer as new DB coach

It sounds as if Bernie's confirmed it:

Kurt Schottenheimer as the new DBs coach?

My gosh....

Fired after one season coaching DBs in Green Bay.

And what a season it was....

These notes on the secondary's performance under Schottenheimer from Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Schottenheimer was part of a dysfunctional defense that set club records for most touchdown passes allowed (33, with four more in the playoffs) and fewest interceptions (eight).

Under Schottenheimer’s teaching and (defensive coordinator) Bob Slowik’s coordinating, the defense blew numerous coverages and allowed 65 passes of 20 yards or more, 19 more than the four-year average with Ed Donatell as coordinator.

There were countless missed assignments and a steady stream of penalties as the secondary never came to grips with new officiating emphasis regarding illegal contact and holding.

Schottenheimer tried a laid-back approach with his players that fell on deaf ears.

“That group needed someone in your face, someone to kind of get after them a little bit,” a source close to the team said. “He wasn’t a good communicator.”

The opponents’ passer rating of 101.5 in 17 games was the worst in the NFL and established another team record.

Under Schottenheimer, Darren Sharper had his poorest season since 1999. Schottenheimer consistently defended the other safety, Mark Roman, even though he probably was the worst starter on one of the worst defenses in club annals.

Starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Ahmad Carroll combined to allow 22 plays of 20 yards or more in 17 games even though Carroll didn’t start until Week 6. That was the most by a pair of cornerbacks in Green Bay since Doug Evans and Craig Newsome allowed 28 1 /2 in 1995.
    Carroll and Harris were whistled for 26 penalties on defense, with 19 being accepted.

The Packers allowed 228.9 passing yards per game to rank No. 25, their worst finish since the merger in 1970.

(endit)

Cheers,
    Bernie

radjohns is offline Registered User

*****“He wasn’t a good communicator.”*****

He'll fit right in.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

SI.com is confirming that this as a done deal. Don't know if what Bernie says is true, but if it is, it sure does not look like a good hire, which is pretty much par for the course. I wonder if Kurt was ever at ASU??

As far as I know, Schottenheimer has no ASU ties.

Some notes from Schottenheimer's firing in GB...

Packers dismiss defensive backs coach
    Pete Dougherty, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman has fired Kurt Schottenheimer as the team's defensive backs coach, NFL sources said Thursday.

Schottenheimer took over the position last January after Sherman promoted Bob Slowik to defensive coordinator from defensive backs coach.

Schottenheimer is the first assistant coach Sherman has fired this offseason. Defensive line coach Jethro Franklin also has left the Packers to become defensive line coach at the University of Southern California.

There were no indications Thursday whether Sherman will fire any of his other assistant coaches. The jobs of several defensive coaches might be in jeopardy, given that the 2004 Packers had one of the worst defenses in the team's history. It finished 25th in the 32-team NFL in yards allowed, 23rd in points allowed and gave up a franchise-worst 33 touchdown passes.

Meanwhile, Packers receivers coach Ray Sherman interviewed Thursday with the Miami Dolphins for their opening at receivers coach.

Sherman, 53, whose contract expires at the end of this month, has been Green Bay's receivers coach since 2000. He's considering a move so he can be closer to his wife and two daughters, who live in Bradenton, Fla.

Jerry Sullivan, who was the Dolphins' receivers coach last season, also is expected to interview for that job on new coach Nick Saban's coaching staff.

Schottenheimer, 55, had one year left on his contract and was believed to be making a little more than $200,000 a year. The Packers owe him that salary unless he gets another job, in which case they'd have to make up the difference between his new contract and what they owe him.

He was a target because the Packers' young secondary made an inordinate number of assignment errors.

Rookie Ahmad Carroll started 12 games, including the playoffs. Rookie Joey Thomas worked as a dime defensive back much of the year, Starting safety Darren Sharper had a sub-par year, and new safety Mark Roman was a major disappointment as a free-agent signee.

As the season closed with the Packers' playoff loss to Minnesota, there was open dissension on the defense. Several defensive backs had a shouting match on the Packers' bench after the Vikings' Randy Moss caught a 34-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter.

Green Bay ranked 25th in the NFL in passing yards allowed and intercepted only eight passes, which was the second fewest interceptions.

The Packers have a potential replacement for Schottenheimer in Lionel Washington, who's been their assistant defensive backs coach since 1999. Or, if Mike Sherman removes Slowik as defensive coordinator, he might retain him as defensive backs coach.

Schottenheimer had worked with Sherman once before, in 1983, when both were assistant coaches at Tulane University. He has been an NFL assistant for 18 years, including stints as defensive coordinator for Kansas City (1999-2000), Washington (2001) and Detroit (2002-03).

In another development, Ted Thompson, the Packers' new general manager, said the San Francisco ***** have not contacted him for permission to speak with team scout John Schneider about their GM position. The Web site profootballtalk.com listed Schneider as one of four possible candidates for the job.

Schneider, 33, is the Packers' personnel adviser to the general manager.

The ***** fired GM Terry Donahue and coach Dennis Erickson earlier this month, then made the unorthodox move of hiring a new coach, Mike Nolan, before hiring a new GM.

ESPN.com is reporting a rumor that the Saints were making a strong play to bring Kurt Schottenheimer in as their defensive coordinator for 2005, for what it's worth.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    As far as I know, Schottenheimer has no ASU ties.
    Nick, I was just kidding about the ASU ties. I couldn't help myself, it's become such a huge cliche with regard to Martz these days. Forgive me.

Well, figured I'd clear it up anyways.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Nick...why would a guy (Kurt) pass up an opportunity to be a defensive coordinator and instead choose to make a lateral move with nowhere near the money? It kind of makes me wonder about ESPN'S rumor...

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam
    Nick...why would a guy (Kurt) pass up an opportunity to be a defensive coordinator and instead choose to make a lateral move with nowhere near the money? It kind of makes me wonder about ESPN'S rumor...

Maybe the Saints % is a rumor unless Ken Venturi has left the saints officially. Working in NO is a bigger joke than working for sMAartZ!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Or maybe he'll be our defensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam
    Maybe because he liked us better, or the Saints weren't offering him the kind of money he expected with the position, or they weren't going to give him the kind of control he wanted with that position, or he didn't agree fundamentally with their staff or front office, or maybe the Rams grabbed Schottenheimer before the Saints could begin an aggressive pursuit of him...

I don't know, but I think there are plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't accept a job and come here instead. I believe the PD has also jumped on this as well, so I'm not doubting New Orleans' interest at this point.