Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By macrammer
  • 3 Post By chiguy
  • 1 Post By Richbert88

Thread: ( Rumors Josh McDaniels To KC Talk Surfaces BLOG)

eldfan is offline Registered User

( Rumors Josh McDaniels To KC Talk Surfaces BLOG)

By Ryan Bibber SB Nation
    Rumors Josh McDaniels To KC Talk Surfaces

The annual NFL coaching carousel is about to kick get going. The St. Louis Rams figure to be in the middle of it all, after a disappointing third season under head coach Steve Spagnuolo. While Spagnuolo looks to be as good as gone, the case of Josh McDaniels is a curious one. Talk of him finding his way to Kansas City to work for Chiefs general manager and old New England friend Scott Pioli.

Here's the item about McDaniels from the National Football Post this morning. Chris Mortensen talked about it again on the air today too.

"If, as expected, Todd Haley does not survive in Kansas City, Josh McDaniels could end up with the Chiefs three years after many thought he would land there. Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli could hire his old buddy from their New England days to be his head coach-if he could sell McDaniels to Clark Hunt. Or, Pioli could hire a defensive minded head coach and make McDaniels the coordinator, assuming McDaniels is fired in St. Louis. Aside from the Pioli connection, another reason McDaniels makes sense on the other end of Missouri is he has a strong relationship with Matt Cassel. In fact, the quarterback and his former offensive coordinator still talk frequently."

If Stan Kroenke replaces general manager Billy Devaney and head coach Steve Spagnuolo, McDaniels might have the option to stick around, and finish out the last year of his contract.

The Rams offense has been terrible. McDaniels was supposed to inject some dynamism into the Rams offense. That didn't happen. The lockout prevented a smooth transition. The front office failed to acquire much in the way of offensive talent to pair with a bright young quarterback. Remember, Mike Sims-Walker was seen as the answer to a team with serious needs at receiver? Exactly.

The decision to not hire a quarterbacks coach was particularly short-sighted. Even more curious, all of the offensive coaches under McDaniels were here last year, part of the Spagnuolo-Pat Shurmur group of coaches that looks overmatched on most Sundays.
    Last edited by eldfan; -12-11-2011 at 09:58 PM.

:ramlogo:

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: ( Rumors Josh McDaniels To KC Talk Surfaces BLOG)

Why is everyone down on Todd Haley? The guy won the West last year. This year, his team is decimated by injuries- lost his RB and safety Eric Berry early in the year- and he's trying to win with Tyler Palko at QB.

I'm so disgusted with McDaniels, they can trade him for a bag of footballs, for all I care.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Good, Josh Mcdaniels failed on Sam Bradford.. I don't think it was him who made Tom Brady or Matt Cassel It was the other way around.

general counsel is offline Registered User

McDaniel has not "failed"on bradford in my view. It is a new offense and the rams had no off season to acclimate. The offensive line was horrible from day one. I dont know how you put that on the new coordinator. The receivers were awful early in the season, countless drops. Again, sam can only throw it, he cant catch it. McDaniels can only call the plays, he cant also execute them. Sure, we have all had criticisms this year of the play calling at times, but the personnel has been extremely limited on the offensive line and that is where it all starts.

Bottom line. We should all be careful what we wish for. Putting sammy into a third different offensive system in three years is not something i think is a good idea. Stability is cricital, as are functional wide recievers and a solid line. Resign lloyd, draft blackmon, stabilize the line through free agency, given the offense a full offseason to practice and watch how much better the rams look next year with the exact same offensive coordinator.

No coordinator in the history of the league has been successful with an offensive line as truly dreadful as the rams have been all year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    rNemesis likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Good, Josh Mcdaniels failed on Sam Bradford.. I don't think it was him who made Tom Brady or Matt Cassel It was the other way around.
    So was Kyle Orton also the reason of McDaniels's way of being famous? 'Cause his numbers were pretty abyssal after McD left. I think it's the talent we have trying to force rectangular pegs into circular holes. We have the right receivers at the depth chart (Pettis and Salas), but lack of starting receiver options that can get separation consistently as well as Bradford's initial habit of holding the ball too long have brought the downfall of our offense. Continuity is crucial for success and the Rams just happen to be REALLY unlucky with injuries.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    McDaniel has not "failed"on bradford in my view. It is a new offense and the rams had no off season to acclimate. The offensive line was horrible from day one. I dont know how you put that on the new coordinator. The receivers were awful early in the season, countless drops. Again, sam can only throw it, he cant catch it. McDaniels can only call the plays, he cant also execute them. Sure, we have all had criticisms this year of the play calling at times, but the personnel has been extremely limited on the offensive line and that is where it all starts.

Bottom line. We should all be careful what we wish for. Putting sammy into a third different offensive system in three years is not something i think is a good idea. Stability is cricital, as are functional wide recievers and a solid line. Resign lloyd, draft blackmon, stabilize the line through free agency, given the offense a full offseason to practice and watch how much better the rams look next year with the exact same offensive coordinator.

No coordinator in the history of the league has been successful with an offensive line as truly dreadful as the rams have been all year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Yes, we could end up 2-14....wait looks like we are already headed there.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

chiguy is offline Registered User

The biggest mistake we made last offseason (short of not finding more depth at corner) was hiring McDaniels. I have no doubt he is a good OC, but he was never going to be a good fit for Spags, we should not have changed systems with a young QB, and he's been too stubborn about using a QB Coach.

We had a formula that was working on offense and defense, but then got away from it. The offense wasn't sexy, but it worked well enough and clearly the personnel were more comfortable in the old system (the line was much, much better last year). Now we've wasted a season with our young offensive players (Saffold, Bradford, and some of the WRs) and they'll have to start all over again next season.
    thoey, lostsoul and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Your points are well taken here GC. Who knows what's best to do ?

bradwill is offline Registered User

The OL wasn't good last year either. They were better at protecting Bradford because Shurmurball emphasized short drops and just as short passes, but Brown, Bell and Smith were mediocre at best. Saffold is the only guy who truly fell off a lot from last year. Dahl has been solid in STL just like he was in ATL.

If it was thought that Shurmurball could consistently win in the NFL which is highly debatable as Shurmur has been an OC for only two years in the NFL-one terrible and one decent- the present OL might be adequate enough but even that's a real stretch. If you cannot pass block for longer than 2-3 seconds, it's not a "system" issue, it's personnel.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I don't care where he goes.......he just needs to.

He has done so little to help this team and Bradford that it is almost criminal. He has a scheme, and tries to fit his current team into it, even when it's not feasible.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    Semper Fi!

lovetheramsnomatterw is offline Registered User

Eh, I say we give him more time. Our offense hasn't been good for years. I haven't watched a Rams game and had confidence that we would get a first down at least every other drive. We are just turrble on offense

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Your points are well taken here GC. Who knows what's best to do ?
    To be honest, I feel like he is not the man to lead Sam Bradford.

Im sorry, can you delete this please.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-12-2011 at 05:05 PM.

MelloStang is offline Registered User

McDaniels was never that good hes average, he got credit for 2 seasons as the OC under Bellichek but when he left here the talk was who cares not o no what do we do, the Pats didn't miss a beat and he sucked in Denver and was running them into the ground now hes here running us into the ground, He got credit like Mangini and Weis and none of them have been able to be a head coach and McDaniels has reverted to not being a good coordinator,the offense could work if he knew what to do with it, 1st and goal and Jackson is watching on the sideline? then you try passing when hes in, he even yelled at the sideline and they let him punch it in the next play, the writing is on the wall this team will end up with new coaches and a new west coast location soon enough, dont fool yourselves you must see this coming.
    Last edited by MelloStang; -12-13-2011 at 01:29 AM.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Question.

If people are supposed to basically only talk about LA in the LA thread, why are they constantly allowed to throw it in their posts as a footnote snipe?

As for McDaniels. I don't know if I even care anymore. For me to judge McDaniels, I'd have to know he's making the play calls, and I don't.