Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rumors, speculations--all things Titan's--FA--the future

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Rumors, speculations--all things Titan's--FA--the future

Rumors are not starting that Fisher might look at bringing on Chris Johnson, yet another Titan from Fisher's glory days. This rumor is has no creditability yet. Still NFL experts are looking that this is a possibility. Considering how many former Titan's have walked into Ram's camp, its a real possibility, though I have no idea how Snead/Fisher would crunch the numbers with the salary cap, and a host of new draftees to come into the fold come May.

I can't say, that Fisher/Snead are only focused on getting Titan players having looked at a few other prospects. But there is a trend that seems to favor Titans finding their way to St Louis. But as to FA, its possible the Rams didn't look hard enough. I can see taking a pass on some high priced players, or older players in the twilight years of their careers, but at some point you have to find players that add a dynamic edge to your team. Red Skins are taking a chance on s pass catching speedster in D. Jackson.

Its more a concern that Fisher is making statements that WRs are not really on his radar. At second pick, its a stretch that its smoke screen to cover your intentions. Someone if the Texans trade down is going to pay threw the nose to get that 1st pick--and seriously there is no Andrew Luck in this years draft.

Yes the Rams defense can hold their own in the division and should help keep them in a game. But the offense has to win the game. If Fisher does pick up C. Johnson, having him and Stacy solves the ground game and might free up Cook/TA to go deeper down field and hopefully draw single coverage for WR. Its at what point what does Fisher/Snead make their moves that brings the Rams out of the NFC-West Cellar to challenge for the top spot and the playoffs. I don't think the Rams are there yet
    Randart likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rumors, speculations--all things Titan's--FA--the future

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Its more a concern that Fisher is making statements that WRs are not really on his radar. At second pick, its a stretch that its smoke screen to cover your intentions.
    I don't think its a smokescreen as far as the No. 2 pick is concerned. I do think, however, that there are scenarios in which the Rams might consider a WR the BPA at a later spot.

Yes the Rams defense can hold their own in the division and should help keep them in a game. But the offense has to win the game. If Fisher does pick up C. Johnson, having him and Stacy solves the ground game and might free up Cook/TA to go deeper down field and hopefully draw single coverage for WR. Its at what point what does Fisher/Snead make their moves that brings the Rams out of the NFC-West Cellar to challenge for the top spot and the playoffs. I don't think the Rams are there yet
    I'm all for bolstering the running game. I think that is the key to beating teams like Seattle and San Francisco. However, I don't believe that signing CJ at this point is the best plan. I don't see him accepting (a) the type of deal that the Rams might offer, or (2) a "second fiddle" role behind Zac Stacy.

For me, RB is a position that is rarely worth addressing in FA. I'd rather use a 3rd round pick on a Tre Mason than spend FA $ on a RB who is closing in on age 30.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't see him accepting (a) the type of deal that the Rams might offer, or (2) a "second fiddle" role behind Zac Stacy.

For me, RB is a position that is rarely worth addressing in FA. I'd rather use a 3rd round pick on a Tre Mason than spend FA $ on a RB who is closing in on age 30.
    Agreed, and would also like to add that, as impressive as Chris Johnson's numbers look, he's the type of back who gets -4 on one play and +12 on the next, for an average of 4. I'd rather stick with no-name guys like Stacy and Cunningham who will give you a consistent 4 yards a pop, despite rarely breaking out for a big one.

Chris Johnson is not as good as he thinks he is.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Tre Mason or Bishop Sankey please.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I take Chris Johnson in a heartbeat, if he were willing to take a serious paycut and settle into a role as the yeng to Stacy's yang, over spending a 3rd round pick on a RB.

Then take that 3rd rounder to draft Bradford's backup/competition/replacement. How ever you want to look at it.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think The Rams miss SJ39's blocking & leadership almost as much as his running. I wouldn't dismiss a healthy D-Rich as the change-up back & hope for a vet castoff with , shall we say, more apparent leadership and blocking skills. No doubt CJ2K at even 75% is better than any current Ram back but I doubt he'd accept the role or be worth the money for a limited role.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Why would anyone entertain the idea of signing this dog? What has he done since getting his big contract two years ago? Hopefully, this is indeed speculation. Enough with the "Titans pipeline" and enough with the "let's take a flyer on this guy or that guy". You'd think Tennessee won 3 Super Bowls with the (mostly unsuccessful) players from their franchise we've brought here. As a wise and successful football exec once said; "If a talented player is or will become available and no one has signed him, it's probably with good reason". Such are my sentiments about Chris Johnson. Though he's still a member of the Titans, there are plenty of question marks that should give an organization pause when considering him.

My support of Jeff Fisher is a matter of public record, and I campaigned for his hire. And I obviously knew what he was all about and what his general tendencies were. I have no problem with his defensive approach- the personnel, the Williams hire and most of the decisions made on that side of things. This is his strength, and I have complete and total confidence here.

With that said, I tend to disagree with the general offensive philosophy coming out of Rams Park. He seems intent on grinding out as many 12-7 games as humanly possible while prioritizing the running game- which is not only boring but to me in 2014 is ass backwards. For the umpteenth time, THIS IS A PASSING LEAGUE. Also for the umpteenth time, WE NEED A PLAYMAKER- a go to guy who defenses have to honor. Yes, the run is still important. Yes, a team needs to be able to run the football. If you can run successfully, your passing game opens up. But without quality wide outs, what does it matter? You are at a big disadvantage- especially in games where you are behind and need to throw the football. It seems like 20 years have gone by since Bruce and Holt were here, and since that time we've had a collection of substitute teachers- the Laurent Robinsons, Greg Salases, Austin Pettises and Keenan Burtons of the world, plus the current crop of guys which presents many, many question marks. I don't expect GSOT, but I DO expect to see guys who are bonafide threats to a defense. I don't see them. And having had an abundance of high picks the past couple of years, I am just not a fan of "trying to land WRs in the lower rounds" because "they are not critical in this type of offense" and hoping they stick. How has THAT worked so far??

I hope this offensive strategy has a happy ending.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -04-03-2014 at 09:37 AM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    With that said, I tend to disagree with the general offensive philosophy coming out of Rams Park. He seems intent on grinding out as many 12-7 games as humanly possible while prioritizing the running game- which is not only boring but to me in 2014 is ass backwards. For the umpteenth time, THIS IS A PASSING LEAGUE. Also for the umpteenth time, WE NEED A PLAYMAKER-
    I think recent evidence contradicts the assertion that you must pass to win in today's league.

Lets look at the super bowl. On one hand, we have the Seahawks, who run the ball and play shutdown defense. On the other hand, we have the Broncos, who had the best offense in league history thanks to their passing attack. How did that game turn out?
    citr92 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I think recent evidence contradicts the assertion that you must pass to win in today's league.

Lets look at the super bowl. On one hand, we have the Seahawks, who run the ball and play shutdown defense. On the other hand, we have the Broncos, who had the best offense in league history thanks to their passing attack. How did that game turn out?
    exactly.....

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post

Wrong. You don't take one game which was an extreme exception to the rule and say "oh, we should do things like the Seahawks". We are not Seattle, nor should we try to be. We have our own personnel and a QB that was drafted to throw the football. Of course if we keep drafting stiffs at the WR position, we may have no other choice than to run the football 40 times a game.

And not for nothing- Russell Wilson threw for 3300 yards and 26 TDs in 2013. yes, they can run the football. But I say it again: this is a PASSING league.

sntlouisrams is offline Registered User

If we are going to through stats out to prove a point I thought Id check. So to compare Il look at 2 SB teams QBs and RBs.

Passing
    Russell Wilson 3300 yards 26tds (pretty bang on average) Seattle - 339 Passing Yards per game
    Peyton Maning 5470 yards 55tds (way above the average) Denver - 457 Passing Yards per game

Rushing
    Marshawn Lynch - 1257 yards 12tds Seattle - 136 Yards per game
    Knowshon Mareno - 1038 yards 10tds Denver - 117 yards per game

So clearly Seattle rely more on a solid run backed up by average to above average QB play with a stout defense. As opposed to an air it out system which is apparently far superior. I just note that teams that seem to have consistantly solid rushing attacks and good defense do seem to work.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by sntlouisrams; -04-04-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sntlouisrams View Post
    If we are going to through stats out to prove a point I thought Id check. So to compare Il look at 2 SB teams QBs and RBs.

Passing
    Russell Wilson 3300 yards 26tds (pretty bang on average) Seattle - 339 Passing Yards per game
    Peyton Maning 5470 yards 55tds (way above the average) Denver - 457 Passing Yards per game

Rushing
    Marshawn Lynch - 1257 yards 12tds Seattle - 136 Yards per game
    Knowshon Mareno - 1038 yards 10tds Denver - 117 yards per game

So clearly Seattle rely more on a solid run backed up by average to above average QB play with a stout defense. As opposed to an air it out system which is apparently far superior. I just note that teams that seem to have consistantly solid rushing attacks and good defense do seem to work.

Just my two cents.
    I have NEVER advocated for a pass happy attack with absolutely no running game. To the contrary, I very clearly stated that being able to run the football is important for success. What I DO believe, however is that to sustain long term success, you need an excellent passing attack, and that's where your primary drafting efforts should lie. Brady's teams have done it. Peyton's have. Brees' teams have been formidable, save for last year's disaster. Aaron Rodgers. Eli Manning. Roethlisberger. None of these teams have had great defenses recently, yet each of them has won Super Bowls. Teams look for the franchise QB for a reason- he's of singular importance to the sustained long term success of a football team.

There should be a balance. The Rams SB championship team had a phenomenal offense but also a very solid but unspectacular defense. Fisher has been largely successful building a decent defense but has whiffed thus far in many areas of the offense. We need upgrades on offense, particularly at the receiver position. You can't just rely on your defense to win you football games. It's asking too much.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post
    Tre Mason or Bishop Sankey please.
    Those are two good choices and would be a huge upgrade on the likes of DRich and Peadster...
    However I am more in line for a Hyde or Hill, we desperately need a back who has size and power with a modicum of speed to accent our smaller backs who all were injured last season with multiple injuries cept Pead. That is my take on our RB needs for this draft mate...

With one of those two big backs and our stable of smaller guys we could be the pound and ground team our coaching staff seems to hope for and should be able to keep our guys fairly healthy that way too! Not having poor Stacy trying to handle 70% of the carries which is a disaster waiting to happen... imho

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    Those are two good choices and would be a huge upgrade on the likes of DRich and Peadster...
    However I am more in line for a Hyde or Hill, we desperately need a back who has size and power with a modicum of speed to accent our smaller backs who all were injured last season with multiple injuries cept Pead. That is my take on our RB needs for this draft mate...

With one of those two big backs and our stable of smaller guys we could be the pound and ground team our coaching staff seems to hope for and should be able to keep our guys fairly healthy that way too! Not having poor Stacy trying to handle 70% of the carries which is a disaster waiting to happen... imho
    Smaller RB do work, seriously. However the catch is you have to have a dominate OL especially at the point of attack to get the RB into the second level of a defense. I am not sold that Fisher coming into 2013 thought he had a dominate OL--if he was, he shouldn't be the Ram's HC. It was pretty obvious during preseason.

So maybe Fisher is serious about thinking OL, OL, OL this coming season and going through the draft and likely to over look higher picks at the skilled positions. If I was Fisher, I'd go both ways--the Rams got to keep Bradford on his feet and someone to spread the defense and that will require speed and talent
    Randart likes this.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have NEVER advocated for a pass happy attack with absolutely no running game. To the contrary, I very clearly stated that being able to run the football is important for success. What I DO believe, however is that to sustain long term success, you need an excellent passing attack, and that's where your primary drafting efforts should lie. Brady's teams have done it. Peyton's have. Brees' teams have been formidable, save for last year's disaster. Aaron Rodgers. Eli Manning. Roethlisberger. None of these teams have had great defenses recently, yet each of them has won Super Bowls. Teams look for the franchise QB for a reason- he's of singular importance to the sustained long term success of a football team.
    Roethlisberger and Manning had great, overwhelming defenses during their runs. The Patriots defense is always good, but when it wasn't great, the Patriots didn't win the SB - even when their pass offense was great.

The Saints D was only average - but was great at turnovers, 2nd highest in the league during the regular season.

The Colts D in 2006 was the only one you could say was 'bad', because they were dead last against the run in the league that year. However, they were 2nd against the pass, and they went on their playoff run right when the S Bob Sanders came back from injury and really stiffened up their run defense. They played good D against Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis and Corey Dillon in the playoffs. Thomas Jones gouged them, but with Rex Grossman at the helm that game really wasn't in doubt.

Good teams win championships, but I'd say that having a strong overall D is more of a hallmark of a great team than a great passing game over the last 20 years. Plenty of great passing attacks failed, and there's been lots of cases of great passing attacks vs great Ds where the D won. You mention Aaron Rodgers, and rightly so, but remember his team the next year at 15-1 was bounced out of the playoffs in its first game by the Giants and their amazing pass rush.

There should be a balance. The Rams SB championship team had a phenomenal offense but also a very solid but unspectacular defense. Fisher has been largely successful building a decent defense but has whiffed thus far in many areas of the offense. We need upgrades on offense, particularly at the receiver position. You can't just rely on your defense to win you football games. It's asking too much.
    The '99 Rams had a top 5 defense - 4th in points allowed, 6th in yardage, 4th in turnovers, and 1st in rushing defense. More importantly, on a team where everyone had to pass and they teed off constantly to get to the QB, they were 1st in rushing yards allowed - 3.5 yards per carry. That defense does not get the credit it deserves. D'Marco Farr was a monster that year - when he blew out his knee the heart of that defense was gone, and the next year they were epically bad - and despite having a phenomonal offense didn't make the playoffs.
    Randart likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast