RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rumph likes Jackson on his side

By Bill Coats
    07/31/2007 4:34 pm

Mike Rumph first met Steven Jackson at about midfield in San Francisco. It was a rude introduction.

Rumph, then playing cornerback for the *****, tried to arm-tackle Jackson, who was steaming upfield. Rumph needed two operations to repair the damage and missed the last 12 games of the season.

“I remember that play; I see it in my sleep,” Rumph told reporters later. “I remember thinking at the time, ‘Why am I doing this?’ But I stuck out my arm to try to trip him. When I was running off the field, I didn’t even want to look at it, because I knew it was bent pretty bad.”

Now, they’re teammates. Rumph, signed in the offseason as a free agent, said he hadn’t brought up the broken-arm issue with Jackson.

“It’s in the past,” Rumph said. “That’s part of football. But it is good to be on his team.”

Every summer, it seems as if some fans can’t wait to shove Dane Looker aside for one or more of the young wideouts in camp. So, here’s a bulletin: Barring a major surprise, Looker will be around for his sixth season with the Rams.

The reasons are simple. First, he’s a better receiver than any of the young hopefuls, even though Dominique Thompson and Marques Hagans are having strong camps. As the No. 5 wideout, Looker didn’t get on the field much in Scott Linehan’s offensive scheme. But he has caught 83 balls in the league, including 47 in 2002.

Second, Looker holds for kicks, and Jeff Wilkins is very picky about his holders.

Notes from Day 5 of training camp:

>>Todd Steussie took reps at left tackle with the No. 1 unit, as Linehan continues to try to keep his veteran starters fresh. Linehan stressed that Orlando Pace’s triceps muscle, which was torn last season, is fine.

>>Jim Hanifan, whose back problems are behind him (get it?), has attended every practice. Hanifan, the 73-year-old former head coach of the Big Red and Rams assistant, has recovered nicely after surgery.

>>Former Pro Bowl tight end Eric Green is helping out at camp as part of the NFL’s intern coaching program. Green was Pittsburgh’s first-round draft choice in 1990 and spent 10 years in the league.

>>The battle for the No. 1 center spot between Andy McCollum and Brett Romberg is as spirited as expected. They two are splitting reps with the first team.

>>Conversely, Claude Terrell has mounted little challenge to Mark Setterstrom at left guard. Barring injury, that job is Setterstrom’s.

>>Punter Donnie Jones, a bit inconsistent in the first few workouts, seems to have found a groove. He boots lately have gone high and long.

All for now…

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Re: Rumph likes Jackson on his side

Rumph just doesn't want Jackson to break his other arm and went to the only team where he'd be safe

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

helorm341 is offline Registered User

“I remember that play; I see it in my sleep,” Rumph told reporters later. “I remember thinking at the time, ‘Why am I doing this?’
    Lol, this is exactly the kind of impression I want Jackson leaveing defenses with.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Now if he could just break Champ Baily's arm...

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I would want to be on Jackson's side too.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Now if he could just break Champ Baily's arm...
    If Bailey was in the NFC I would agree. More like any of the Defensive Players in the NFC preferrably from the NFC WEST would be nice.:arisux::sfosux::seasux:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats
    07/31/2007 4:34 pm

Mike Rumph first met Steven Jackson at about midfield in San Francisco. It was a rude introduction.

Rumph, then playing cornerback for the *****, tried to arm-tackle Jackson, who was steaming upfield. Rumph needed two operations to repair the damage and missed the last 12 games of the season.

“I remember that play; I see it in my sleep,” Rumph told reporters later. “I remember thinking at the time, ‘Why am I doing this?’ But I stuck out my arm to try to trip him. When I was running off the field, I didn’t even want to look at it, because I knew it was bent pretty bad.”

Now, they’re teammates. Rumph, signed in the offseason as a free agent, said he hadn’t brought up the broken-arm issue with Jackson.

“It’s in the past,” Rumph said. “That’s part of football. But it is good to be on his team.”

Every summer, it seems as if some fans can’t wait to shove Dane Looker aside for one or more of the young wideouts in camp. So, here’s a bulletin: Barring a major surprise, Looker will be around for his sixth season with the Rams.

The reasons are simple. First, he’s a better receiver than any of the young hopefuls, even though Dominique Thompson and Marques Hagans are having strong camps. As the No. 5 wideout, Looker didn’t get on the field much in Scott Linehan’s offensive scheme. But he has caught 83 balls in the league, including 47 in 2002.

Second, Looker holds for kicks, and Jeff Wilkins is very picky about his holders.

Notes from Day 5 of training camp:

>>Todd Steussie took reps at left tackle with the No. 1 unit, as Linehan continues to try to keep his veteran starters fresh. Linehan stressed that Orlando Pace’s triceps muscle, which was torn last season, is fine.

>>Jim Hanifan, whose back problems are behind him (get it?), has attended every practice. Hanifan, the 73-year-old former head coach of the Big Red and Rams assistant, has recovered nicely after surgery.

All for now…
    Would like to add that laram0 injured his left knee, rehab and strength conditioning is going well. Shouldn't miss any significant time.