AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Run vs. Pass/Cameron vs. Linehan

I've been trying to find a reason to favor Linehan or Cameron. This caused me to wonder: which of the two has demonstrated a greater commitment to the running game over the past two years?

So, I had the research department at the Avenger Institute (AI) research the playcalling tendencies over the past two years of Cam Cameron as OC of the Chargers and Scott Linehan as OC of the Vikings (2004) and Dolphins (2005).

Here are the interesting results:

Cam Cameron

Total Plays: 2,026
    Running Plays: 990 (48.9%)
    Passing Plays: 1,036 (51.1%)

Scott Linehan

Total Plays: 2,004
    Running Plays: 831 (41.5%)
    Passing Plays: 1,173 (58.5%)

The disparity is pretty clear. Notwithstanding the fact that Cameron supposedly runs a "Martz-style" offense, he has clearly demonstrated a greater commitment to the running game.

Now, of course there's an obvious caveat here. Cameron has had Ladanian Tomlinson over that two year span.

Still, Linehan this year had two quality backs (R.Brown, R.Williams) and poor QB play, and nonetheless ran far fewer times (444) than he passed (582). Also, in 2004, the run/pass ratio actually is worse than the stats show, as 88 of the team's 387 "running plays" were actually runs by Duante Culpepper (most of which, arguably, should be considered "passing plays").

Thus, with little else to go on, I'm going to put my vote in for Cameron. That's not to say I'll be all that disappointed if its Linehan, but Cameron seems to be more likely to focus on the running game.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-18-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Run vs. Pass/Cameron vs. Linehan

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Now, of course there's an obvious caveat here. Cameron has had Ladanian Tomlinson over that two year span.
    As well as the better offensive line.

So...

SD RB > Miami RBs
    SD O-line > Miami O-line
    SD Defense > Miami Defense (over last two years)

I believe those all play factors that makes it difficult to draw any clear conclusions from a run/pass ratio.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Here are the interesting results:

Cam Cameron

Total Plays: 2,026
    Running Plays: 990 (48.9%)
    Passing Plays: 1,036 (51.1%)

Scott Linehan

Total Plays: 2,004
    Running Plays: 831 (41.5%)
    Passing Plays: 1,173 (58.5%)
    Just for comparison, this is our past two seasons

Total Plays: 1,940
    Running Plays: 761 (39.2%)
    Passing Plays: 1,179 (60.8%)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

As with any statistical analysis, there are going to be caveats. The question is, after all the caveats are considered, does the discrepancy disappear, or would Cameron still be more run intensive?

Tough to say, but I see the discrepancy as being large enough to be worth noting.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

first thing we need to do is fix the defense so we are not always playing from behind,if we are able to do that and the o-line can run block that the pass/run ratio becomes a very important stat,if we dont improve then it doesnt really matter because bulger will have to throw 40-50 times a game.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm not so much concerned about the run/pass ratio as I am about what they do with the personnel that they have.

Cameron's recent success has coincided with the emergence of Gates as the premier pass catching tight end in the NFL. As many of have noted over the last few weeks, the absence of such a threat in the Rams scheme has caused problems, not the least of which are our well documented struggles in the red zone.

The presence of a top quality TE also creates space for the run game through playaction and this has enabled LT to flourish and Brees to operate under a lot less pressure than in his first couple of seasons.

Cameron has done a great job with these guys over the last couple of seasons, but if you take Gates out of the equation would Brees have emerged in the same way, and would LT have achieved the same results?

Would Cameron have been able to commit to the run in the same way as he has.

I don't know for certain, and I don't want to decry the job Cameron has done, he's obviously going to get his shot some day. I just feel that Linehan has done more with less, and in radically different environments.

And whatever guy does get the call, I'd like to see a lot more focus on the TE position.