RamWraith is offline Registered User

Running back issue?

I am starting to think that Linehan has lost faith in Jackson. This might be the reason why you called "the play" on 4th and 1. I remember several plays yesterday where the call should have been a run because we were sitting 3 and short and we opted to pass. Has Jackson style and lack of production in a pinch landed him in the short yardage dog house?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Running back issue?

Yep I saw the same thing, one call was a MM trick play on short yardage. I would say maybe it the O-lne and SJ he does not trust.

If you have no faith in the O line, I dont think you would run a long developing trick play.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    If you have no faith in the O line, I dont think you would run a long developing trick play.
    Exactly....

Another area were Linehan's play calling leaves some desire.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Yeah let's blame Jackson again. The only guy that is consistantly good every week. It's the o-line that leaves Jackson nowhere to run play after play and especially on short yardage.
    Just Fix It

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Yeah let's blame Jackson again. The only guy that is consistantly good every week. It's the o-line that leaves Jackson nowhere to run play after play and especially on short yardage.
    Exactly, the O line is a huge part of the problem, and like you said "especially on short yardage."

Jackson looked fine to me as he was running over Hamlin and one or two other guys on his way into the endzone.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I agree it definitely looks like Linehan has no trust in our running game. I think it's the O-line he's not trusting rather than Jackson though, but of course that's just speculation based on my own opinion. Jackson has been outstanding this year, improving a lot on last year IMHO, but our O-line is still too weak at run blocking to gain the crucial 1 or 2 yards on 3rd and 4th it's one of our big problems on offense that we have to fix. You'd think with guys like Pace, Incognito and Barron we should be able to pound the rock a yard forward pretty consistently, but something's not clicking.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is only speculation but I'm assuming our O-line was getting pushed backwards all day. That's the only way I see Linehan calling for a pass play on 4th and 1.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I don't think I was blaming anyone. I was just stating an observation.

Point be known. I have been hard on Jackson this year and still am not 100% convinced that his style doesn't cost him some big yardage and maybe even some positive yardage at times. But, the last couple of games he has earned a lot of respect from me. His touchdown run in Sundays game was a thing of beauty and I would love to see that every time he touches the ball. He showed explosiveness, vision, determination, strength and most all heart all in one play.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

But, the last couple of games he has earned a lot of respect from me. His touchdown run in Sundays game was a thing of beauty and I would love to see that every time he touches the ball. He showed explosiveness, vision, determination, strength and most all heart all in one play.
    I second that, SJ has been running hard, but with the injuries on the O line it's going to be hard to get consistent blocking. Perhaps a change at LG, (Steterstom?) is needed.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

methodical_reaction is offline Registered User

We also have to fight the fact that anybody who comes into St Louis after Marshall has retired is going to be looked upon with some skepticism by the fans. Marshall Faulk is a Hall of Famer and we have gotten used to that type of runner and when we see SJ's running we all collectivly say 'Hey that isn't Marshall!'

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I think confidence in JAckson had nothing to do with it. If that were the case he would've ran with Davis who is a proven stud in short yardage situations. (minus his one costly fumble). The problem I'm sure is confidence in the line to get that push when needed, especially since Seattle would've loaded up the box even tighter than normal. That and I think we wanted to try something tricky, which if it would've worked he would've looked like a hero instead of a zero.