Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By lostsoul
  • 1 Post By rammiser
  • 1 Post By hawaiianpunch

Thread: Rushing stat from tonights game- comments please from those who watched

general counsel is online now Registered User

Rushing stat from tonights game- comments please from those who watched

I just read in the box score that we rushed 22 times for 52 yards. Pead had an 11 yard run and Cunningham had a 17 yard run. That means that excluding those two runs, we had 20 attempts for 24 yards. I know my math has to be correct, but can the guys who watched the game provide some color on the play of our offensive line, which based on those numbers could not have been too good. I am not particularly concerned with what happened late in the game, in part, because all of us know that the depth on our oline is highly suspect to say the least. That isn't news to anyone.

I am the first one to say that preseason game results mean nothing, and i am not changing my tune (i care about staying healthy), but i continue to STRONGLY believe that all of our new weapons arent going to mean much if our offensive line does not play well and that is going to come down in large part to staying healthy. I am really nervous about the offensive line and while the rushing statistics from tonight in any particular direction, good or bad, wouldnt change my underlying concern, I am curious as to what you guys thought you saw especially with the first team on the field.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rushing stat from tonights game- comments please from those who watched

Horrible. Our first, second, and third string offensive lines got absolutely no push what-so-ever and GB had penetrating defenders all over the place. Outside of the first play from scrimmage (Isaiah Pead 11 yard rush) we ran the ball at an embarrassing pace. The Cunningham 17 yarder was on 3rd and 18 so it was meaningless.

It was a horrific performance all around. People couldn't tackle, still too many dropped balls, off-target passes, way too many pressures. We gotta work hard this week at practice and improve for the dress rehearsal.

THE DREAM TEAM

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Pead did well,imo, whenever he had the chance. Several plays blown up behind the LOS that weren't his doing. Maybe a vet would have minimized the damage better but he hit the holes when they were there & made a nice move on his one reception.First time he's looked like a real NFL player to me. Shelly Smith was a disaster at LG. Maybe he just ruined big Jake's mojo but a lot of the breakdowns seemed to occur on that side.
    In short, a mixed bag on the OL. I disagree with Sosa; they got excellent push on some plays but there were far too many breakdowns & others where they did indeed get handled. GB was pressuring a fair bit but it wasn't pretty a lot of the time, esp in the RZ.
    My first impression- I only watched the Rewind once- was that pass pro was more consistent. Even the young RBs had some nice blocks.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -08-18-2013 at 06:57 AM.

emuen is offline Registered User

The pass protection from the starting unit maybe, but Clemens and Davis got smacked around. It also noticed some nice blitz pick up from the RBs. Pead I think had two really good pick ups.
    The O-line got the packers D pushed back on some place. But it didn't help them that on the play that Torry Holt complimented them for pushing the D-line back 5 yrd, Pead managed only to pick up 2 yrd on the play.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    The pass protection from the starting unit maybe, but Clemens and Davis got smacked around. It also noticed some nice blitz pick up from the RBs. Pead I think had two really good pick ups.
    The O-line got the packers D pushed back on some place. But it didn't help them that on the play that Torry Holt complimented them for pushing the D-line back 5 yrd, Pead managed only to pick up 2 yrd on the play.
    GC specified the starters but you're right; there's no depth at all on the OL, it seems. Never said Pead was the new Faulk but he looked better than he has . Still a disaster as a returner. I still like D-Rich better as a RB - he's more physical than Pead to me. Hope Stacy is OK. Clemens got Bulgerized a couple of times, that's for sure, but played plenty bad of his own accord,imo..

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

While pre-season doesn't count in the standings, you still want to see elements of good football. Bradford, Givens, the Davis kid and some others have performed pretty well, while many others have not. Quite simply, we're not there yet. When you rush for 52 yards on 22 carries, that isn't good enough. When the line gives up 3 sacks and contributes to the poor rushing attack, that also isn't good enough. When you can't put the ball in the end zone until the end of the game, it is a concern. Next week it is important that we start putting everything together so we can get that first win in week #1.
    Curly Horns, r8rh8rmike and Varg6 like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    When you can't put the ball in the end zone until the end of the game, it is a concern.
    Well, Sam did overthrow a wide open Tavon far an easy touchdown. In the heat of the moment maybe Sam forgot that Tavon was only 5' 8"......Just Sayin

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

More disturbing was fundamental break downs on first team "O". A lot of poor technique in blocking and, worst, failed recognition of what Green Bay's defense was attempting. Granted Green Bay issues coming into 2013 season was need for a better running game and stronger interior defense, so the Rams saw the Packers putting extra effort into it. Still I found it troubling and now am getting concerned

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

One team got away with a WHOLE LOT MORE offensive holding than the other.

Outside of that, Eddie Lacy is a beast, and appears to be very hard to tackle; once he gets past his OL holding.

gap

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    One team got away with a WHOLE LOT MORE offensive holding than the other.

gap
    This is true. Maybe our O-line needs to do some film study on their holding techniques so we can get away with it too.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Hopefully we are just getting off the rust and getting the stupid mistakes over with early. Isn't that what preseason is for?
    rammiser likes this.
    Brett Hundley Bandwagon 8/24/2014

rammiser is offline Registered User

Hey on a positive note we went 4-0 in pre-season a few years ago and went 2-14 so the play of the team in pre-season is a direct reflection of how the season will go. I actually feel Isah Pead lacks some vision and tends to just run in to the back of his offensive linemen at times. Richardson is much more direct and confident when he has the ball. Bradford missed a wide open Austin for a td but was dead on accurate with most of his throws so lets not panic. Rogers missed a wide open tight end down the seem too I wonder if Packer fans are panicing today. Bradford then fumbled the snap because he pulled away from center too fast and spoiled a scoring oppourtunity. It's preseason and while i think our depth on the o line isnt great our starters will be just fine. We are running some very vanilla offense right now and showing virtually nothing at all.

On some positvie notes if seeing Jared Cook catch and run with the ball didnt make the hair stand up on your neck you are out of touch. This guy is going to be a BEAST. I for one cannot wait to see us running our full offense and getting this guy some touches.
    Last edited by rammiser; -08-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.
    Just Fix It

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

I agree with Rammiser. 4-0 in pre season and 2 - 14 in the season. I think we all just need to calm down a little. I heard fisher does treat his pre-seasons like this when he was in Tennessee. He gives his guys very basic things to do and tries to make them watch the film and work on awareness. Fisher likes to seem very passive in the pre-season to see what guys actually do. It does worry me a little when we only score in the 4th quarter, but we have to remember pre-season is hardly a way to tell how the actually team will do AKA the Scott Linecrap era. The reason we are worried is understandable, we have been bad for a really long time. And since fisher showed us a taste last year of what we are to expect, we are even more eager because we now have the ability to be a contender. So everyone take a deep breathe for 3 seconds and let it out for 3 seconds its just pre-season.
    rammiser likes this.