general counsel is offline Registered User

russell vs. hedgecock

who has a better shot of making the team, a fourth running back or a second fullback? This is the hedgecock vs. russell debate. A lot of course would come down to special teams. Personally, i dont see us keeping four running backs. I think hedgecock has a better shot, but if that high ankle sprain is very bad, he could get cut on that basis alone. The tricky thing here is that the more committed you are to running the ball, the more important in my view it is to have two fullbacks on the roster. I dont think you can take the risk that if smith gets hurt (which he already is by the way) we have no one else who is a lead blocker. I like russell also, but a fourth running back, no matter who he is, is really a luxery item i dont see how we can fit roster wise.

If you look at my prior post on the 53 man roster, i dont have either a fourth running back OR a second fulllback on the roster.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: russell vs. hedgecock

Hedgecock can not only work at fullback but see some time at H-back as well. I would put money on keeping Hedge if we keep either of them.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hedgecock can not only work at fullback but see some time at H-back as well. I would put money on keeping Hedge if we keep either of them. --Nick
    Ditto here. I'd much rather keep Madison over Paul Smith along with our RBs. We just need to get that ankle fixed right, even if it does take till mid September. In the meantime work some coache's magic, like using a TE as FB -- a la Ernie Conwell -- in lieu of Hedgecock.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

I say keep Hedge ... as a hedge against a fullback injury.

Can Russel be a serviceable return guy? Special Teams Guy?? Have not been impressed with Curtis, or McDonald, or any other Ram in the PR/KR role.

If so - keep him....too

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I think the Brass will find a way to keep Russell.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

It's a tough choice in my opinion. I would however lean slightly towards keeping Hedgecock. I think we need more than one guy capable of being the lead blocker and I don't think any of our tight ends (the likely backups when we run out of actual fullbacks) are really up for the job. Hopefully we would then be able to keep Russell on the practice squad just in case we have to put a running back on injured reserve later on.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Ditto here. I'd much rather keep Madison over Paul Smith along with our RBs.
    I think Nick meant keeping Madison over Russell, not over Paul Smith. Smith seems to have a hold on the #1 FB spot.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE