View Poll Results: What do we need to fix, improve and how do we do it?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secondary

12 42.86%
  • Special teams play

0 0%
  • Defensive line play

10 35.71%
  • O-line line play

2 7.14%
  • Running the ball

1 3.57%
  • Passing the ball

0 0%
  • Game plan

2 7.14%
  • FO

0 0%
  • Other

1 3.57%
    Rambos is online now Registered User

Itís the bye week, what is our weakest link?

What do we need to fix, improve and how do we do it?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Itís the bye week, what is our weakest link?

I voted for other. The reason being I feel like our coaching staff needs to be more flexible and adjust what we are doing as the game dictates.

We were clearly outcoached in the 2nd half of both the Whiners and Seahawk games.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'm having mixed feelings, if I could have voted for this choice I would have :Cornerbacks/Defensive Line. I was really hoping we'd try to aquire Nate Clements to be a cortesy to Fakhir Brown, that didn't happen though. So I guess were stuck with Fisher/Brown combo. I'm not going to rant on Hill like some other people. He's a rookie and is going to have growing pains as he is right now, but has really been with the reciever tightly every catch but just needs to try and get into a better position. But as you all know, I'd like us to start against San Diego with a Cornerback Combo of Fakhir Brown/Ron Bartell.

The defensive line needed help to, and I don't think that trading Hargrove was a good option unless we got a Defensive Linemen in return, but they did (the Rams) signed Defensive End Tony Bryant from New Orleans, he in the reserve role last year had 4 sacks which I guess if you look at that, we improved in the pass rushing department which we needed since Hargrove only had 6.5 sacks all year and he started, this guy had it in a reserve roll and had 4 sacks as I said.

We probrably should have tried to beef up the depth at Cornerback, and didn't. But, I think we improved the Defensive Line with the signing of Tony Bryant.

Hopefully they'll get it together.

Oh yea, now that Fakhir Brown is back our Defensive Backs will look improved out there because of his Blitzing ability, and his ability to get to the quarterback.
    RamsFan16

general counsel is offline Registered User

It looks like corner, but it isnt, and it isnt really even defensive line. The biggest weakness on the team is pass rush or lack thereof. We cant get one without blitzing and we arent getting enough of one even when we do blitz. Could we do better stopping the run? Sure. But that isnt whats killing us which is why i think saying defensive line is too broad.

Could our corners be better? Sure. They will be better as hill matures and brown returns. That being said, without a pass rush we are in deep deep trouble against the quality teams and in jeopardy against everyone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Our D-Line is getting no push, letting the opposing QB find an opening, making our secondary look like the problem. Opposing RB's are also getting through our line picking up the 1st easily.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: It’s the bye week, what is our weakest link?

I say secondary. I know it's connected to defensive line play, and I'm sure a lot of people will lean towards improving the pass rush first. However it goes both ways, we could make up for lack of pass rush with better coverage to give the guys up front more time too. Either way could work. When I look at the games though, I just don't see good coverage, especially from the CB's, the safeties make mistakes too, but I think CB is the position on the team that looks the worst. There isn't much we can do about it though, the trading window is closed, we have to make do with what we've got, which means practice and scheme is what we can adjust. Short of giving Butler a chance of (re-)proving himself, which I'm strongly hoping they will, but it doesn't look like he figures in Haslett's plans whatsoever for some reason.

Thinking (prematurely I know! But it's the bye week, we can speculate a little with no game on our minds...) ahead to next year's draft I wouldn't necessarily go for a CB though, even after calling it the weakest position on the team. We just spent a 1st on Hill and Hargrove didn't pan out, so getting a stud DE with our first pick doesn't look to bad to me at this point. Especially since I feel our younger guys on the offensive line have stepped up their game, so the need for a strong inside player (a guard) doesn't seem quite as big as it used to, at least not compared to what a good DE could do for us.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Hey is it the playcalling. Because everyone on the D line seemed to play pretty physical but also lacked the killer instinct to finish. I frankly think that
    the O-line needs to protect better. Pace and the gang were getting pushed around in the Seahawks game.
    THE FIELD GOAL

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    It looks like corner, but it isnt, and it isnt really even defensive line. The biggest weakness on the team is pass rush or lack thereof. We cant get one without blitzing and we arent getting enough of one even when we do blitz. Could we do better stopping the run? Sure. But that isnt whats killing us which is why i think saying defensive line is too broad.

Could our corners be better? Sure. They will be better as hill matures and brown returns. That being said, without a pass rush we are in deep deep trouble against the quality teams and in jeopardy against everyone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Hit it out of the park, GC. Great points as always!

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I say secondary. I know it's connected to defensive line play, and I'm sure a lot of people will lean towards improving the pass rush first. However it goes both ways, we could make up for lack of pass rush with better coverage to give the guys up front more time too.
    The way I look at it is this. In our base defense we have four D-linemen and four defensive backs. Of those four defensive linemen, two of them have been to the Pro Bowl (Glover and Little) and are widely considered to be excellent players. Of our four defensive backs, only Chavous has made it to the Pro Bowl and is considered a very good player but probably not at the level of Glover and Little are at their positions.

So which unit do you think we should expect more from - a defensive line with two excellent former Pro Bowl players or a secondary with one very good former Pro Bowler? I think we need to make improvements in every phase of the defense, but with more talent on the defensive line, I personally hold them to a higher standard of play than I do a less talented secondary.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    i agree GC, unless we improve our pass rush,we are going to have some long sunday afternoons with the db's we have,although if we can get that pass rush for an ENTIRE game that will help the db's and make the defense better to the point that we can knock off some of these very good teams we are about to play.alot of big "IF'S need to happen.