Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

S. Davis at Rams park, getting a physical?

---BernieM wrote:
    Worked out today... may sign him... for more on this, listen to 1380 today...Jim Thomas at 4:40 p.m.

--B

MORE----

It was confirmed earlier this afternoon by Joe Goldberg of Fox Sports Midwest that free agent RB Stephen Davis is in St. Louis taking a physical. No word yet on whether or not he has passed and what the Rams plans might be if he does.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Re: S. Davis at Rams park, getting a physical?

I thought I read today that he passed a physical for some other team just the other day, so I would expect him to pass here. This is interesting to say the least.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

J.T. on 1380 espn moments ago:

-Davis was at Rams Campt today, took a physical and worked out, and the team is going to offer him a contract.

-Thomas was told that he (Davis) told Philly "I want to go see what St. Louis says first."

-Might be more than one of these league minimum deals..

-If he accepts, he could become a Ram tonight or tomorrow..

-Averaged 300 carries a season for 5 years - he's got some mileage..

-Doesn't really think there is more concern about S. Jackson than before.. Could be wrong, but thinks this has more to do with concerns over the number 2 and 3 spots at RB and that they aren't quite what the team hoped.

Am I way off or are we going to have to cut either Tony Fisher, Moe Williams, or even S Davis? I find it hard to believe we will keep 4 RBs. Maybe we cut Hedgecock for a spot, if we are keeping 4 RBs?
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams are looking to add Davis, then I would like to see them carry all four RBs into the season because I don't think you can count on Davis to stay healthy.

That said, how about the Rams looking to add ANOTHER bruiser north-south runner instead of a speedy back? First Fisher, then Williams, and now maybe Davis.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    If the Rams are looking to add Davis, then I would like to see them carry all four RBs into the season because I don't think you can count on Davis to stay healthy.

That said, how about the Rams looking to add ANOTHER bruiser north-south runner instead of a speedy back? First Fisher, then Williams, and now maybe Davis.
    Are there any half decent speedy backs available? Maybe Davis was the best of the bunch even though he isn't speedy.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Are there any half decent speedy backs available? Maybe Davis was the best of the bunch even though he isn't speedy.
    When you've got two north-south power backs behind your starter and getting some speed in there is a priority, it shouldn't matter who the best out there is. You find the guy with the speed since that's your goal, even if he's currently in your camp. The fact that the Rams are looking at adding their third power guy for depth seems to tell me that maybe a speed back isn't as important to the staff as it is to the fans.

Besides, if Davis is the best option out there, then you've really got to wonder about the options in the free agent pool. Davis is 32 years old and is clearly on his last legs. It'll be interesting to see where Davis signs, and if he doesn't sign here, if the Rams try to add someone from the cut list next week.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The big question is, does this guy have anything left ??

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Talking Re: S. Davis at Rams park, getting a physical?

If we can manage it cap wise why not sign Davis and let the best players make the team and the losers get cut.

When you've got two north-south power backs behind your starter and getting some speed in there is a priority, it shouldn't matter who the best out there is. You find the guy with the speed since that's your goal, even if he's currently in your camp. The fact that the Rams are looking at adding their third power guy for depth seems to tell me that maybe a speed back isn't as important to the staff as it is to the fans.

Besides, if Davis is the best option out there, then you've really got to wonder about the options in the free agent pool. Davis is 32 years old and is clearly on his last legs. It'll be interesting to see where Davis signs, and if he doesn't sign here, if the Rams try to add someone from the cut list next week.
    I understand that speed should be the priority, I was just giving a possible reason as to why the Rams would sign him. Apparently like you said, the Rams aren't interested in speed.

I'm not real worried as of now that he is 32 and could be on his last legs. I will reserve judgement on Davis until I see him on the field.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

I think the bigger question is why??

I believe that there is more concern over Jackson's health than what is being let on out at Rams Park. He has not had a good track record. And when he is even a little dinged he has not performed well, or even average for that matter. I am betting that the coaches are playing the odds and are looking for a solid back-up for when Jackson goes down, knowing full well not a back on this team could carry the load.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I'm not real worried as of now that he is 32 and could be on his last legs. I will reserve judgement on Davis until I see him on the field.
    Davis has played in 15 games over the last two years because of injury, and last season averaged slightly over three yards per carry. He's basically a short yardage option at best at this point in his career, which is why the Eagles are also looking into him. I just don't think based on the last few seasons that we should be so confident in what Davis brings to the table both in terms of skill and durability that we cut either Fisher or Williams. If Davis joins the roster and we want to take him into the season, I would hope it means we're carrying four backs for security purposes.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Wow, I didn't see this coming. Well, at least they are showing that the run game is important to them.

If we can manage it cap wise why not sign Davis and let the best players make the team and the losers get cut.
    I agree, I'm pleased with what I've seen so far in Jackson, Fisher, Williams and Russell. If the coach feels they need to look at another back like Davis why not give him a shot.
    Last edited by RAMMAN68; -08-23-2006 at 09:10 PM. Reason: feeling frisky
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I think the bigger question is why??

I believe that there is more concern over Jackson's health than what is being let on out at Rams Park. He has not had a good track record. And when he is even a little dinged he has not performed well, or even average for that matter. I am betting that the coaches are playing the odds and are looking for a solid back-up for when Jackson goes down, knowing full well not a back on this team could carry the load.
    I hope you're VERY WRONG about Jackson, but it does make sense. The concern is more than likely true. I hope Jackson is fine, this has to be his breakout year, it's just gotta be (especially when I just ranted about him in my article :P), but in all seriousness, I just hope Davis is coming because the other backs aren't performing as well as expected...I really hope Jackson is ok for this season.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Davis has played in 15 games over the last two years because of injury, and last season averaged slightly over three yards per carry. He's basically a short yardage option at best at this point in his career, which is why the Eagles are also looking into him. I just don't think based on the last few seasons that we should be so confident in what Davis brings to the table both in terms of skill and durability that we cut either Fisher or Williams. If Davis joins the roster and we want to take him into the season, I would hope it means we're carrying four backs for security purposes.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not confident, but I'm not that worried about him yet either. I know all about his history of injuries, playing lots of fantasy football for years helps me keep up on players that I normally wouldn't keep up with. I'm just taking a wait and see attitude with Davis for now, I'm not excited about his signing, nor am I upset.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast