Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Re: The S.L.O.P.P.Y. Manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    in the end the coaches DON'T PLAY the game.. they can yell and scream all they want, but it won't do any good if the players don't believe in the coach.
    Oh....are you suggesting Linehan's attempt to fire up or scare the team in Tampa didn't produce positive results?

SFLW
    Last edited by PossumBoy9; -07-13-2008 at 01:58 AM.

Josh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Oh....are you suggesting Linehan's attempt to fire up or scare the team in Tampa didn't produce positive results?

DUUHH. If he would have fired them up they wouldnt have fallen apart in the second half AHAB.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    SLOPPY will always be second to SLOP, and nobody likes SLOPPY seconds.
    Damn Av isn't holding back..! Great punch-line.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Ugh.

I have not "gone soft." I still think Linehan is a bad head coach. But, right now, like it or not, he's the only head coach we're going to have this year.
    It is good to hear you say this Avenger. I was starting to wonder what your thoughts were these days after the SLOP manifesto.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: From wanting him fired....to looking to excuse him

No, you're wrong. You're wrong because you have repeately attempted to twist my words or put words in my mouth.
    I'm not sure words were being put in your mouth...

but with the support of friends like me, what do you have to worry about...buddy, ol' friend, ol' buuuuuuuddy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Josh Guest

Thats funny. and it looks painful at the same time. I here by ask that all partys shake hands and give the rightful group it's praise.

D
    A
    M
    N

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    It is good to hear you say this Avenger. I was starting to wonder what your thoughts were these days after the SLOP manifesto.
    The Manifesto is designed to enhance SLOP's credibility. If SLOP starts from day 1 screaming for Linehan's head, regardless of how the team plays, then nobody would take it seriously (nor should they). On the other hand, if SLOP emphasizes that it supports the team, and will evaluate Linehan in a rational manner, then, in the event that Linehan fails, nobody will be able to argue that SLOP didn't give him a fair chance.

Make no mistake... I don't think Linehan is a good coach, and I doubt he'll still be around in 2009. But, if he proves me wrong, that will mean that the Rams are having a good year, so I'll be happy about that.

The Manifesto is designed to enhance SLOP's credibility.
    Does SLOP's credibility need to be enhanced? Obviously, those in SLOP feel Linehan is a bad head coach. We're fighting from the high ground in that argument.

If SLOP starts from day 1 screaming for Linehan's head, regardless of how the team plays, then nobody would take it seriously (nor should they). On the other hand, if SLOP emphasizes that it supports the team, and will evaluate Linehan in a rational manner, then, in the event that Linehan fails, nobody will be able to argue that SLOP didn't give him a fair chance.
    Oh....since he's here anyway, he should be given a fair chance. He'll be given a fair chance to produce results. In his third year, there is no excuse for his team to not be able to compete or beat decent and good teams. SLOP SHOULD EXPECT RESULTS, not look for excuses as to why those results didn't happen....such as the schedule. Why would the schedule be an issue?

Anybody that expects a 2-6 start in Linehan's third year is already suggesting that his hiring was a failure. End of story there.

Make no mistake... I don't think Linehan is a good coach, and I doubt he'll still be around in 2009. But, if he proves me wrong, that will mean that the Rams are having a good year, so I'll be happy about that.
    I'll be happy too. I just don't want SLOP to be on the frontlines of excuse makers if things don't go well.

The "schedule" part of the Manifesto needs to go, IMO.

SFLW

SLOP SHOULD EXPECT RESULTS, not look for excuses as to why those results didn't happen
    There's a perfect example of you twisting my words/putting words in my mouth.

The "schedule" part of the Manifesto needs to go, IMO.
    Not if I want SLOP to be taken seriously, it shoudn't. Yes, the Rams should be able to compete against anyone, but to suggest that there is no difference between a road game against the Patriots and a home game against the Dolphins is just silly.

There's a perfect example of you twisting my words/putting words in my mouth.
    Did you not write this?

2. SLOP recognizes the difficulties that may arise from the Rams' schedule during the first half of the season, and views that schedule as a contingency that must be considered in evaluating Scott Linehan's progress.

but to suggest that there is no difference between a road game against the Patriots and a home game against the Dolphins is just silly.
    It looks like you're the one attempting to put words in somebody's mouth....as I never said anything remotely close to there being no difference between a road game against the Pats and a home game against the Dolphins.

SFLW

How does consideration of a contingency equate to "making an excuse?"

If the Rams play a road game against team that went 16-0 last year, I still expect them to compete. There is no excuse if they don't. But if they play a good game, and get beat 24-23 on a last second field goal, does that mean everyone involved should be condemned?

By the same token, if the Rams play a team that went 1-15 last year at the EJD, and win by a score of 17-16, I'll be disappointed with the performance.

I expect the Rams to compete in every game. I don't expect them to win every game. That' doesn't mean I'm making excuses. Just being realistic.

How does consideration of a contingency equate to "making an excuse?"

If the Rams play a road game against team that went 16-0 last year, I still expect them to compete. There is no excuse if they don't. But if they play a good game, and get beat 24-23 on a last second field goal, does that mean everyone involved should be condemned?
    If it keeps happening....yeah, eventually somebody will need to be condemned. I've never said anything about jumping on him for one loss. If he can't manage a game well enough to figure out a way to win a few of such games in his third year, the Rams obviously have the wrong coach to help them reach their objectives.

I don't see much difference between considering an excuse and making an excuse. Like I said early on....it looks like a preemptive excuse. I merely question SLOP getting involved in that business. Why should SLOP be looking for reasons to keep a coach, that SLOP knows is lame, around?

I expect the Rams to compete in every game. I don't expect them to win every game. That' doesn't mean I'm making excuses. Just being realistic.
    Hey....nobody said anything about winning every game. I just don't want SLOP graciously accepting a 2-6 start.

Anybody expecting such a start....has already basically stated that Linehan should have been fired.

SFLW
    Last edited by PossumBoy9; -07-14-2008 at 02:55 PM.

I don't see much difference between considering an excuse and making an excuse.
    Well, apparently that's because you don't understand that the words "contingency" and "excuse" are not interchangeable (notwithstanding your repeated attempts to substitute one - which I have used - for the other - which I have not).

Well, apparently that's because you don't understand that the words "contingency" and "excuse" are not interchangeable (notwithstanding your repeated attempts to substitute one - which I have used - for the other - which I have not).
    The contigency is losing games due to a "tough" schedule, right? Accepting that contigency is an excuse.

I don't see a difference between a reason and an excuse when it comes to a third year head coach losing games.

SFLW
    Last edited by PossumBoy9; -07-14-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Dude, you're getting annoying. I never said that the contingency is "losing games due to a tough schedule." I said that the Rams might have difficulties (i.e. the games will be tougher).

You can try as much as you like to twist my words and put words in my mouth, but it won't work. I've made no excuses, nor have I stated that losing is acceptable.

My Manifesto was entirely clear, and you either (1) are incapable of understanding, or (2) don't wish to understand.

Either way, I'm done.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast