Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By RockinRam
  • 1 Post By citr92
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike

Thread: Sacks by a DL

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sacks by a DL

This year the Rams front 4 generated 39 sacks. All total a league leading 52 sacks. That is a lead that the Rams shared with the Broncos. But of course 24 of those came from the blitzing LB pair of Miller and Woodyard. The Broncos front four managed less than 28 sacks. Our front four was truly dominant this year. Below is a comparison of how the front four did in sacks followed by total sacks in parentheses:

2012 - 39 (52)
    2011 - 29 (39)
    2010 - 31 (43)
    2009 - 19 (25)
    2008 - 19 (30)
    2007 - 15 (31)
    2006 - 22.5 (34)

The 2012 front four managed more sacks than entire Rams defenses over the past several years with the one exception of 2010.
    Rambos, shower beers and ZiaRam like this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Sacks by a DL

That is truly an impressive stat for a young up and coming team like ours. We were quietly tied with the Broncos for the league lead in sacks, guys!! That is truly special!! And while it doesnt necessarily translate into wins, it SURE AS HELL is good to know that our defense will be a force to be reckoned with next season!! We've shown in recent years that we can be among the league leaders in getting after the opposing teams' QB. I would like to see ( next season) Long and Quinn get even better, as well as Brockers, as Langford and Hayes are pretty decent already.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Very good performance by the D-Line this year.

However, I'd like to see both Quinn and Long be more consistent. Some games they'll light up and have several sacks, and then be contained and blocked out at times in other games.

If we can get a fast interior pass rusher at DT to complement Brockers, we should be set for next year.
    ManofGod likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Our starters were great, and our rotating ends were also very good. Great depth can be a difference maker for rushing the passer, and we should do what it takes to keep this group together next year. This was a break out year for Hayes, especially.

Some things to look forward to next year:

Better play against the run from Quinn. The guy can't seem to wrap up the important backfield tackles.

Consistency from Long. He had a great year, but seemed to disappear at times.

Growth from Brockers. Imagine what an entire off-season will do for this guy. I'm excited.

Hayes and Sims returning to the rotation. As noted above.

A bit more from Langford. He had a good year, but he has the potential to be great surrounded by all this talent.

citr92 is online now Registered User

i agree with the above, but also, some one has got to get them to not over pursue, they seem to want to always try to just beat their guy by running past them and it takes them out of the play

long and quinn anyway
    ManofGod likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Wow Hub that is a really impressive stat especially comparing the last 6 seasons! Now if we could somehow upgrade our OLB"S I'm sure that would help our scheme as well...

What you think about Langford? I'm kinda wishy washy on him since I think we might be able to get someone that would be a upgrade over him that could be here years to come.

macrammer is offline Registered User

nice post with pertinent facts.......thanks

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Growth from Brockers. Imagine what an entire off-season will do for this guy. I'm excited.
    I'm excited too. Brockers started the seson with an injury, but when he came back and played, he was a difference maker and IMO, his presence was a big factor in the sack total. I can only imagine how much better he is going to become, and how much more of a factor he'll be. If I had to bet on a Rams player becoming a Pro Bowler, my money would be on Brockers.
    live4ramin likes this.