Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Safety? Do we already have one?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Safety? Do we already have one?

With all the talk about the Rams needing a safety, I can't help but wonder about Gregg Williams' take on our safety needs. We already have a very athletic, physical guy on our roster who though currently listed as a linebacker, has a lot of experience playing safety back in college. Is it possible that Williams will find a more prominent role for Ray Ray? I would think/hope the answer is yes.

Ray Ray loves contact as evidenced by his proclivity for violent hits both in college, and for the Rams. What will Gregg do with Armstrong? Ray Ray certainly seems to possess the mentality Gregg desires. Can Ray Ray be utilized as a safety again? Obviously he can defend the run , but can he be counted on in coverage? At 6'-3" and 234 lbs he is sort of a tweener - any thoughts/projections on how Williams might use Armstrong?

From what I have read, the 2014 draft class is a bit thin on safeties, but not so with cbs. Would the Rams get better value taking the best cb available over a safety? Should Ray Ray be given the chance to play safety this year? Thoughts??

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: Safety? Do we already have one?

McDonald at SS and Armstrong at FS...

well if he can cover well enough yea, that'd be a promising set of safeties imo

apparently he was compared to sean taylor when he was playing in Miami

edit: looking around and found most not liking the sean taylor comparison lol
    Last edited by citr92; -03-20-2014 at 03:42 PM.

punahou is offline Registered User

the question is this: does Ray Ray have the range and speed to play FS? if he was a 4.4/low 4.5 guy OK, but I dont even know what kind of range this guy has-- especially if the Rams had him playing Linebacker.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    the question is this: does Ray Ray have the range and speed to play FS? if he was a 4.4/low 4.5 guy OK, but I dont even know what kind of range this guy has-- especially if the Rams had him playing Linebacker.
    says he ran a 4.65 at the miami pro day

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think punaho makes a good point. RRA may not have the speed/range to play FS that a Pryor or Clinton-Dix have. It wouldn't surprise me to see us take a CB who is converted to FS, if he's got the skill set. Alternatively, Jeff and Gregg may like a safety in round 3-4 where we got TJ last year.

I also think GW might want to coach RRA into an OLB as a back-up to Dunbar/Ogletree.

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    says he ran a 4.65 at the miami pro day
    That was a few years and pounds ago, plus that's not blazing fast speed. Pryor and C-Dix I'm certain were faster at the Combine.

Hey, let's not forget your USC buddy Dion Bailey. I saw a mock that had us taking him in round 3 recently.

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If the Rams have one it is McLeod, not Ray Ray.
    rammiser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    That was a few years and pounds ago, plus that's not blazing fast speed. Pryor and C-Dix I'm certain were faster at the Combine.

Hey, let's not forget your USC buddy Dion Bailey. I saw a mock that had us taking him in round 3 recently.

Go Rams!
    neat lol

didn't say it was blazing fast though...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    In April, 2010, Robet Quinn broke UNCís lineman record in the 40-yard dash, clocking in at a blazing 4.38 seconds, .15 seconds faster than the previous holder, Julius Peppers. Additionally, he holds the lineman record for the power clean lift at 374 pounds. He recently tipped the scales at 266 pounds.

Maybe we should give Robert Quinn a look ..

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    With all the talk about the Rams needing a safety, I can't help but wonder about Gregg Williams' take on our safety needs. We already have a very athletic, physical guy on our roster who though currently listed as a linebacker, has a lot of experience playing safety back in college. Is it possible that Williams will find a more prominent role for Ray Ray? I would think/hope the answer is yes.

Ray Ray loves contact as evidenced by his proclivity for violent hits both in college, and for the Rams. What will Gregg do with Armstrong? Ray Ray certainly seems to possess the mentality Gregg desires. Can Ray Ray be utilized as a safety again? Obviously he can defend the run , but can he be counted on in coverage? At 6'-3" and 234 lbs he is sort of a tweener - any thoughts/projections on how Williams might use Armstrong?

From what I have read, the 2014 draft class is a bit thin on safeties, but not so with cbs. Would the Rams get better value taking the best cb available over a safety? Should Ray Ray be given the chance to play safety this year? Thoughts??
    I , too, am perplexed about our lack of activity on the FA scene, especially with regards to the Safety position. I've been thinking somewhat along the same line as your post recently. Only I'm wondering if the Rams are planning on either Cody Davis or Matt Daniels to break out and take the FS job by storm.

I gotta think Fish and crew will keep Ray Ray at OLB as it seems to be his best position in the NFL. But I wonder if Davis or Daniels might be thought of in a better light by the coaching staff than we are led to believe.

WHAT SAY YE?

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Am thinking the best help you can give your Safety is a dominate DL. It might be too out-of-the-box thinking on my part, but perhaps bookend DT. Rams already have Brockers as a solid fit and his presents on the field is a huge help to Long and Quinn. A second Brockers just adds to Long/Quinn threat and also frees up more options for LB blitz packages. I like the idea of the Rams having a solid man-mountain front on "D"--might even bring a CB blitz option to the Rams' playbook--they have T. Johnson, and he isn't exactly small.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Ray Ray could definitely platoon in at SS - but that's covered pretty well by McDonald.

He's not the answer at FS, and I'm unaware of a long term prospect there that is equal to the challenge. McLeod is OK, but at this point is a below average starter, and there's not a lot of confidence that he will grow into the role for most analysts.

I think we are looking draft, though with some cap room I would have liked to have taken a ride on one of the better FS candidates.

Randart is offline Registered User

Well thought out points guys, I agree Ray Ray is a LB/SS backup at this point just hope he sees more action this year. As for FS I think we draft one and in round 3 or so unless we trade back a few times then maybe round 2. Just my guess at what our FO and coaches might be thinkin'. The kid from SC might just make a perfect tandem linking up with his old mate TJ. Good thoughts there!
    citr92 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

Maybe we should give Robert Quinn a look ..
    Ha! Good one Maui!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think if there's a more expansive role for Ray Ray it's going to come via an increased role on Special Teams instead of the defense. He could become one of the premiere thumpers in the league and I'd be happy for him to do so. Not sure I see him as anything more than a situational 'backer and maybe a platoon safety at this point though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast