Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is safety our weakest position

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Is safety our weakest position

Does anyone else think this is our weakest position on the field? Dahl seems to blow coverages at an astronomical rate and Mikell isn't close to the pro bowl player he once was.

Hopefully Stewart can return this week and repleace Dahl in obvious passing situations but even he's massively flawed(poor tackler and poor run defender).

We could pretty clearly use an upgrade in our safety talent. I was hoping they would switch Trumaine Johnson to safety with us having 3 solid to great corners but they haven't so far.

I really think we need to focus on acquiring some safety talent in either free agency or the draft next year.
    Last edited by mcpeepants232003; -09-18-2012 at 11:57 AM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is safety our weakest position

That's why I'm keeping an eye on LSU's Eric Reid. He'd look very good in horns.
    ManofGod likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

To be honest we still need a lot of players. The O line is a mess and it's going to be all year. The receivers are still pedestrian, sure Amendola is an elite slot guy but we still have no real outside threat. He maybe on the roster but we have not seen it yet. LB's are playing well but we need an upgrade on the outside. Safety is another spot that is a concern if there is a special player early in the draft next year I would love to add him over a FA.

It's early though.

I agree its way too early to say anything definitive, but I think its safe to say that with the Rams' anticipated cap room, 2 first and 1 second round picks, it is reasonable to assume that the Rams will have an opportunity to upgrade their talent at minimum of 5 positions. In no particular order... OT, WR, S, OLB and OG seem like the logical target areas.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree its way too early to say anything definitive, but I think its safe to say that with the Rams' anticipated cap room, 2 first and 1 second round picks, it is reasonable to assume that the Rams will have an opportunity to upgrade their talent at minimum of 5 positions. In no particular order... OT, WR, S, OLB and OG seem like the logical target areas.
    Yeah I agree, the best part is we have the cap and the draft picks to do it!

Are we going to see the sequel to "The Great Train Robbery" that being the largest player trade in the history of the National Football League pulled off by the Cowboys. They built a dynasty from that move.

The Rams are loaded with picks and they already have the young franchise QB in place. Hollywood loves a sequel "The Great Train Robbery II" sounds good to me.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Weak, yes. Weakest, no. We need major help on the offensive line. I wouldnt get too excited about what things looked like on sunday with two redskins starters out of the game early on. I am not sure that safety is a bigger weakness that olb, and certainly not as weak as our offensive line issues.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    live4ramin likes this.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

I would usually say that those picks wont turn out or do anything for us, just from looking at how we have wasted them in the past..... With that said though it is a new era with fisher and his staff so we will see (as he showed this last draft) if we can get some good picks.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSorryMr.Jackson39 View Post
    I would usually say that those picks wont turn out or do anything for us, just from looking at how we have wasted them in the past..... With that said though it is a new era with fisher and his staff so we will see (as he showed this last draft) if we can get some good picks.
    The past is gone. It went by, like dusk to dawn. Isn't that the way, everybody's got the dues in life to pay?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

It definitely is not one of our strong points. Mikell isn't great, and Dahl is very average. We definitely need more talent there whether or not Stewart is in the line-up.

As an Aggie, it would be very entertaining for me if we used both our first round draft picks on OTs Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews.

However, that is not the case and I have my eye on Robert Woods, David Amerson, and Jarvis Jones.

My linebackers that I am watching are Chase Thomas from Stanford and Johnathan Brown from Illinois.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

It's tough to say which is the weakest between the safety position, OLB and O line. Both the OLB and safety play have been substandard, but the Oline I'll chalk up to injuries. I guess it depends on who we're playing each weak. Teams with a strong pass-rush make it look like its the Oline. Teams that throw the ball a lot expose our weak safety and OLB positions.

I would expect the Rams to look hard at the safety, Oline and OLB positions in the next draft. I disagree at this point on the WR's though. I'm not sure I'd use a top draft pick on a WR in the next draft, and we already have later round WR draft picks in house. Let's give these guys a full season to see what they've got before we abandon the Quick, Givens, and Pettis ships. I believe that we now have a coordinator that understands how to use players properly, and in the current scheme, they'll do just fine and the Rams will move the ball and score. If a top-notch game-changer becomes available as a FA, then maybe we talk.

I have been disappointed in Mikel's play so far. He seems lost at times and out of position. Dahl is also struggling of course in coverage. But in my opinion, even JL has had some head scratching moments. I've watched him fairly closely and he gets trapped all too often and I've seen him take some bad angles as well. Of course, he gets a lot of tackles and makes a great play here and there enough to mask the other deficiencies, and with Mikel and Dalh's play, I think JL's play gets overlooked. From both a good standpoint and bad. I think he too at times has struggled with the new defense. I'm sure though that' he'll get more consistent as he figures it out and gets comfortable with the players around him. We don't have to worry about JL.

SO, giving the O-line some slack because of injuries, and quite frankly with back-ups they've been pretty okay, I'd have to say "yes" that the safety position has been the most disappointing and our weakest link so far.
    mikhal5569 likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

The past is gone. It went by, like dusk to dawn. Isn't that the way, everybody's got the dues in life to pay?
    I am not debating that, but it has been 1 season and I really do hope it is different. Just hard to completely swallow when its been basically a decade since we drafted well

When it comes to our receivers we have some decision to be made.

Rams free agents:

Danny Amendola
    Brandon Gibson
    Steve Smith

Would you break the bank for:

Victor Cruz

We have all year to see how Givens and Quick develop but we also have three players that we need to make a long term decision on. Gibby is playing for a contract you know he is focused on the prize and so far it shows. Amendola is going to cost us some chips. Smith so far looks like he will give way to Quick, Given and or Pettis at some point.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-18-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Not a huge Aerosmith fan but that is a great freakin' song.

I liked the improvement both Dahl & Mikell showed from game 1 to the 2nd but they both have their limitations, for sure. Worth noting that the most effective versions of this pass defense had a great safety in it; Sharper for NO & Bishop for Tenn in its early incarnation.I think Stewart has potential & hope his injury issue doesn't keep him from getting a chance to grow into it now that The Rams have some corners who can both cover & tackle AND a pass rush.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Rambos;437664]When it comes to our receivers we have some decision to be made.

Rams free agents:

Danny Amendola
    Brandon Gibson
    Steve Smith

Victor Cruz
    QUOTE]

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    When it comes to our receivers we have some decision to be made.

Rams free agents:

Danny Amendola
    Sign him up (the Rams are reportedly already working on an extension of his contract).

Brandon Gibson
    I won't say no, given his recent play, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to re-sign him yet.

Steve Smith
    Wait and see.

Victor Cruz
    I don't think so. First, who knows if he'd be as effective without Hakim Nicks on the other side of the field. Second, the Rams will have a chance to get a WR in Round 1 for a lot less money.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-18-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast