Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Safety a position to be excited over?

I am actually really excited to see the Safety position. A lot of people are expecting nothing from them because of the release of Atogwe. We can make a seriously nice combo with Jermale Hines, Darian Stewart, Craig Dahl, and Jonathon Nelson. Hines, Stewart, and Dahl are solid tacklers. I cant wait to see some nice nickel packages on 3rd down and moving these guys around. I think our starters will be:

FS - Jermale Hines/Darian Stewart
    SS - Craig Dahl/Jonathon Nelson

Hines or Stewart starting at FS. Doesn't matter though if this lockout continues for a while then its Stewarts job to lose. He played solid ball last year and will only improve. Hines has a big almost LB body type. He will be really nice around the LOS. Nelson has nice coverage skills and gets the occasional turnover. It kinda seems like Nelson should be at FS and Hines at SS. Spags does like blitzing the FS though so he has to be just as physical as the SS.

At the end of the day, I am truly excited to see how our Safeties do. I am expecting some good stuff out of them. This is all assuming we release James Butler because of the ridiculous contract he has and his below average play.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Safety a position to be excited over?

I'm not really excited over the safety position, Spags's system mainly utilizes safeties in hidden blitz packages and these guys should have solid tackling and decent coverage skills to do so. Atogwe, though he improved his tackling skills significantly, hurt his coverage skills (see only 3 INTs) due to being used for Spags's hidden blitz packages plus the money we owe him, benefits both parties.

You're right, and thats part of why I am excited. All these guys are natural tacklers. Last year only seeing Stewart and Dahl play, they had solid tackling skills which make them standout in Spags' defense. I like the idea of applying a lot of pressure and letting Bartell and Fletcher hold up. I look forward to seeing our run defense improve because all 3 levels of our defense got better in that aspect I think, and our pass defense too because Fletcher is improving, our defensive line is killer, and Spags has more options to create mismatches.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Depends on how you define excited, haha.

I am very excited to see these guys come in and compete and see just what Spags has in plan for these physical safeties. This defense has the potential to be a run-stopping monster.

However I am a little concerned about how effective their coverage will be. Yes these guys are physical, but it also looks like they have the potential to get burned on some deep passing routes. Maybe Spags will adjust the corners as needed, play more nickel-packages, look in to the Tampa-2 scheme and have the safeties playing deeper than normal... I don't know. Maybe I am looking in to this a bit too much, but it's no doubt a minor concern, or at least something to look in to.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I think it's safe to say that the Rams could be in big trouble in the secondary this year. We only have one real legit CB in Bartell and some young guys with a lot of upside. The safety position looks to be frigthenly thin this year without Atogwe. Butler has not lived up to expectaions and I think the guy we picked in the draft seems more like a project player that the coaching staff will try to convert into a WLB, but will probably spend most of his time contributing on special teams.

Sossa I really like your optimisom, but make no mistake safety is an area that the Rams need a serious upgrade in. Hopefully it will be addressed in FA.

SLSG is offline Registered User

They better bring in a vet coverage safety. I'm OK with the corners. While they are at it, they need to sign an OLB and DT too (Cofield) and one interior OL and a #2 RB. That's 5 f/a's. I would be happy if they addressed 3 of those spots with high end players. All 5 is asking a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I think it's safe to say that the Rams could be in big trouble in the secondary this year. We only have one real legit CB in Bartell and some young guys with a lot of upside. The safety position looks to be frigthenly thin this year without Atogwe. Butler has not lived up to expectaions and I think the guy we picked in the draft seems more like a project player that the coaching staff will try to convert into a WLB, but will probably spend most of his time contributing on special teams.

Sossa I really like your optimisom, but make no mistake safety is an area that the Rams need a serious upgrade in. Hopefully it will be addressed in FA.
    There may be reason to worry about our newly acquired rookies in the secondary, but Darian Stewart did have a solid year and I dont think anyone that followed the Rams will deny it. Is he good enough to start yet? Maybe not, but I am not too concerned. I am much more frightened of our OG spot. Bartell and Fletcher I am really comfortable with, just as long as our Safeties can hold up I think we will be fine. Especially with the amount of pressure our defensive line will generate now with our rotation between Long, Quinn, Hall, and Robbins.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Remember, a good pass rush really helps a mediocre secondary.
    Last edited by Flippin' Ram; -05-14-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Safety a position to be excited over?
    I believe this question was supposed to be posted in the "Hell, no!" thread.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I agree with you.
    James Butler will be gone. I also like Jerome Murphy, I know Rams have him listed as LCB. I think you could also list him on your list as FS.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    I agree with you.
    James Butler will be gone. I also like Jerome Murphy, I know Rams have him listed as LCB. I think you could also list him on your list as FS.
    Its a possibility he plays at one of the Safety spots, though it wouldn't make much sense. We drafted 2 Safeties probably expecting one of the 2 if not both to start. Maybe there just depth, though I am willing to bet that Murphy will stay at CB.

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting about Darian Stewart. He had some good play last year. I am excited to see how he does this year. I think the job is his, though he and Hines will probably rotate lots (especially in Nickel packages).

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I just like the compitition and let the best player win and start.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Playing devil's advocate here, does anyone really think that we have such premiere corners that they don't need safety help over the top?

On whether Stewart has the potential to be a starter, Steve Spagnuolo said, "I think he can get there eventually, whether he'll be at that point when we get this thing going this year or not, that remains to be seen. But I think he's got the qualities to do it. You know we played him at that nickel WILL linebacker spot and I thought he gave us some things there talent-wise. So he's certainly a guy that plays into the picture now."

So Stewart is a guy who might one day get there, Dahl doesn't have great range and he beat out Butler for the starting safety job opposite Atogwe. Then there are the rookies. If we were hoping to come up with one starter out of the lot we'd probably be okay, but hoping to find two quality starters in that group is probably a bit overly optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here, does anyone really think that we have such premiere corners that they don't need safety help over the top?

On whether Stewart has the potential to be a starter, Steve Spagnuolo said, "I think he can get there eventually, whether he'll be at that point when we get this thing going this year or not, that remains to be seen. But I think he's got the qualities to do it. You know we played him at that nickel WILL linebacker spot and I thought he gave us some things there talent-wise. So he's certainly a guy that plays into the picture now."

So Stewart is a guy who might one day get there, Dahl doesn't have great range and he beat out Butler for the starting safety job opposite Atogwe. Then there are the rookies. If we were hoping to come up with one starter out of the lot we'd probably be okay, but hoping to find two quality starters in that group is probably a bit overly optimistic.
    This is why my views may seem overly optimistic. I believe we have a servicable/average starter in Craig Dahl. Im thinking one of the other 3 guys (Hines, Stewart, Nelson) will pan out to be at least a decent starter at FS. I feel our CB core is strong, but not extremely strong. Fletcher is only getting better and Bartell has the skills to be a pro bowler. When you really break the numbers down, our CB's were among the top of the league. Here are the stats showing we had the 4th best duo among completion percentage:

1 Raiders Stanford Routt Nnamdi Asomugha 37% (28/76)
    2 Jets Antonio Cromartie Darrelle Revis 41% (53/130
    3 Eagles Asante Samuel Ellis Hobbs 44% (34/77)
    4 Chiefs Brandon Carr Brandon Flowers 46% (68/147)
    5 Rams Bradley Fletcher Ron Bartell 47% (60/129)

If its ok with the Mods, may I post a link to a website that shows stats for Top 10 Cornerbacks in :success rate (Ronald Bartell 5th), yards per pass (Ronald Bartell 5th), and YAC allowed (Bradley Fletcher 7th).

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Best Cornerback Charting Stats 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast