Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Saffold

  1. #16
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    a
    Posts
    2,521
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Saffold

    Bradford was hit hard numerous times besides the three sacks. I saw Jacob Bell get spun around like a top, as well.

    I started this thread out of the disgust over the false starts by Saffold as I know that the O-line is not adequate for the spread offense. I am also pissed at Kendricks over false starts today and last week. Both Kendricks and Saffold seem to save the false starts for critical situations.

    Quote Originally Posted by rayzorram View Post
    I wasn't able to watch the game but did follow it on Espn gamecast I don't recall hearing of Bradford being sacked. I'm assuming that you are referring to run blocking because it seems we did have a decent passing game inspite of alot of dropped passes.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #17
    Keenum's Avatar
    Keenum is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Saffold

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yea, they suck, let's kill 'em, blah, blah, blah.

    Ok, now for folks who want to seriously look at this.....

    There's something on a large scale going on here. These two OBVIOUSLY don't suck. They OBVIOUSLY can play their positions. Because they did so quite well just last year!

    So what has changed from last year to this year? That is what needs to be answered.
    I'm almost convinced it may have been a lack of work during the offseason. Yes there was a lockout and coaches couldn't meet with the players, but could it have been while players from other teams were getting together to workout and run plays (or at least what plays they knew) we may have had a lot of guys slacking off? While other teams were running drills and actually organizing practices a lot of our guys just decided to take it easy? NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED, but with the way the O-line has been getting pushed around, the bone-headed plays in all aspects of the game, and the lack of disipline I've seen it sure looks like it...

  3. #18
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,737
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Saffold

    It doesn't take a lot of work to realise that "on two" means you go the second time Bradford says "HUT"

    However, maybe that isn't the case. Maybe McDaniels changed the cadence and snap count etc. That still doesn't excuse the false starts.

    But in all honesty, I would rather this offense just go on 1 every single play than have more false starts. I don't care about trying to get an edge over the defense with the snap count, just go on 1 and then beat them with your talent. It's better than going five yards back every time.

  4. #19
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,614
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: Saffold

    Saffold's regression is baffling. He was outstanding last year. I disagree with any assertion that Smith played really well last year. He has been an injury plagued riddle, wrapped inside a question mark, disguised as a tackle since we drafted him. Of course, using the number 2 overall pick on a right tackle to move him to left tackle to them move him back to right tackle may not have been the best decision in the history of personnel moves, but hindsight is 20-20 and i certainly supported the pick at the time.
    Smith's cap number is a lead weight around our neck. That is not the case with Saffold.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Tampa_Ram and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.


  5. #20
    Flippin' Ram's Avatar
    Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,453
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Saffold

    I'll reserve my judgment to see where they're at next season when they get to the 2nd year in the system. What I am pissed off about is how Smith gets paid bundles of cash for bringing a half-assed product to the table when he could at least bring some effort to protect.

  6. #21
    Ironmaidenram's Avatar
    Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Turlock, Ca
    Age
    44
    Posts
    265
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Saffold

    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I remember before the season started we all thought we had put togerther one of the best offensive lines in the league. Now, in such a short time we see we somehow put together one of the worst lines. Our bookend tackles who were supposed to protect Bradford for the next 10 years cant even do it for 1 game. I pray and hope they get there act together. These penalties are rediculous, drive killing and totally a major part of there regression this year. sad...sad doesnt even begin to describe these guys.
    these dummies cant do it for 1 down, much less 1 game. These Tackles suck.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

  7. #22
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,595
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Saffold

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmaidenram View Post
    these dummies cant do it for 1 down, much less 1 game. These Tackles suck.
    See, now this is the overly simplistic comments that I'm talking about. These two tackles played very well last year. Saffold was the "steal" of the 2010 draft. It's intellectually lazy to say they "suck". If they "suck", they would have "sucked" last year as well.

    I don't know what the answer is, but I know what it isn't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  8. #23
    fearsome foursome is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Saffold

    Wasn't Saffold helped off of the field at the end of the game? As bad as he has been this season, do we have a better backup? We still have almost NO depth at ANY position.

  9. #24
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,223
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: Saffold

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    See, now this is the overly simplistic comments that I'm talking about. These two tackles played very well last year. Saffold was the "steal" of the 2010 draft. It's intellectually lazy to say they "suck". If they "suck", they would have "sucked" last year as well.

    I don't know what the answer is, but I know what it isn't.
    There aren't who we thought they were! If you want to crown their.......

  10. #25
    badmoforamfan's Avatar
    badmoforamfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Saffold

    Co-hesion. They ain't got it. What they do have is: a new offense, lack of practice repetition and babies protecting the corner. Maybe the Rams could have tried to grab an OL from Pats or Broncos in the offseason to ease the new system transition. Idk. If I did.......probably would be working in the NFL. But I'm not and (just going out on a limb) I don't suppose many of us on this board do. Just saying.
    AlphaRam likes this.

  11. #26
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,954
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Saffold

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    See, now this is the overly simplistic comments that I'm talking about. These two tackles played very well last year. Saffold was the "steal" of the 2010 draft. It's intellectually lazy to say they "suck". If they "suck", they would have "sucked" last year as well.

    I don't know what the answer is, but I know what it isn't.
    yes they played well LAST year. and to be honest, werent there a number of people complaining about smith last year also? Saffold played great last year at left tackle, Smith played mediocre at right. it is in our right, bradfords right, the line coaches right to say they suck right now. if you dont think they suck right now then what do you call it? this is not last year, this is the here and now, and they are sucking right now.

    if its intellectually lazy for me to say they suck right now, then what would you call there play thus far in the season, cause in my eyes, they have played like complete horse crap. this has nothing to do with last year. this is all about this year. Most sacks given, most hurries, most hits. yea...they definatly dont suck........people can produce one year, and suck the next

    so if they dont suck right now in this year, how are they playing? cause obviously were seeing something completly diffrent. if you think theyve played good football this season then wow, just wow, im at a loss for words atm.


  12. #27
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,530
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Saffold

    Lol cliff saunders is laying it down real like on 101 sports right now!! King, kendricks, saffold, smith, harris and everyone getting it!

  13. #28
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,595
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Saffold

    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    yes they played well LAST year. and to be honest, werent there a number of people complaining about smith last year also? Saffold played great last year at left tackle, Smith played mediocre at right. it is in our right, bradfords right, the line coaches right to say they suck right now. if you dont think they suck right now then what do you call it? this is not last year, this is the here and now, and they are sucking right now.

    if its intellectually lazy for me to say they suck right now, then what would you call there play thus far in the season, cause in my eyes, they have played like complete horse crap. this has nothing to do with last year. this is all about this year. Most sacks given, most hurries, most hits. yea...they definatly dont suck........people can produce one year, and suck the next

    so if they dont suck right now in this year, how are they playing? cause obviously were seeing something completly diffrent. if you think theyve played good football this season then wow, just wow, im at a loss for words atm.
    You're not hearing me, Tampa. Let's try it again. To say Saffold/Smith suck, is intellectually lazy. Why? Because they have in fact demonstrated they can play the position quite well. They don't suck. Alex Barron sucked. Jimmy Kennedy sucked. John St. Clair sucked. Why do they suck? Because they NEVER played well. Saffold and Smith are different because they DID.

    So, again, the real question is......what has changed from last year to this year?

    (Well Smith and Saffold aren't playing well this year)

    No, that's a different result. Something has had to change in order to bring about that different result. What is that "something"?

    The offense scheme changed. Maybe that's it. Maybe they simply never picked up the new offense. I don't know; that is one option. But I know they didn't magically forget how to play football in one offseason.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  14. #29
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,460
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Saffold

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You're not hearing me, Tampa. Let's try it again. To say Saffold/Smith suck, is intellectually lazy. Why? Because they have in fact demonstrated they can play the position quite well. They don't suck. Alex Barron sucked. Jimmy Kennedy sucked. John St. Clair sucked. Why do they suck? Because they NEVER played well. Saffold and Smith are different because they DID.

    So, again, the real question is......what has changed from last year to this year?

    (Well Smith and Saffold aren't playing well this year)

    No, that's a different result. Something has had to change in order to bring about that different result. What is that "something"?

    The offense scheme changed. Maybe that's it. Maybe they simply never picked up the new offense. I don't know; that is one option. But I know they didn't magically forget how to play football in one offseason.
    HUb is right here. These guys didn't obviously just forget how to play. Saffold was having a pro bowl caliber year. Smith had himself a good year too. What the problem is? We dont really know.

    A shortened offseason, less time to gel with teammates. The new offense. The fact that we have limited padded practices I think is actually the reason were having such problems with fundamentals.

    Before you could practice as much as you wanted. Now I believe you can only practice like 2 times a week in pads or something. That in my opinion is the main reason our guys have had so many issues with the fundamentals of football.

  15. #30
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,954
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Saffold

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You're not hearing me, Tampa. Let's try it again. To say Saffold/Smith suck, is intellectually lazy. Why? Because they have in fact demonstrated they can play the position quite well. They don't suck. Alex Barron sucked. Jimmy Kennedy sucked. John St. Clair sucked. Why do they suck? Because they NEVER played well. Saffold and Smith are different because they DID.

    So, again, the real question is......what has changed from last year to this year?

    (Well Smith and Saffold aren't playing well this year)

    No, that's a different result. Something has had to change in order to bring about that different result. What is that "something"?

    The offense scheme changed. Maybe that's it. Maybe they simply never picked up the new offense. I don't know; that is one option. But I know they didn't magically forget how to play football in one offseason.
    i get what your saying, and i thought about this as well. but..

    Smith didnt perform very well last year, at right tackle, when we were performing 3 step drops the majority of pass plays.

    Saffold played great in the 3 step drop system.

    now in our new scheme, which warrants us to protect longer then 3 steps, our tackles have performed less then average.

    yes last year was a diffrent sytem, we had no OTA's, we lost al our offseason etc etc.

    i do see what your saying HUB, not trying to undermine you at all, Saffold played great in last years sytem, smith played servicable.

    Were in a new system now, and niether are performing near average in it.

    Is it the systems fault for not addapting to there abilities? or is it there fault for not adapting to they systems needs?

    what it comes down to is this: Smith has definatly underperformed as a number 2 overall pick. moved from LT to RT and still isnt playing well.

    Saffold played great as a rookie in one system, but has played poor in a diffrent one.

    i will say, Smith sucks, in 2 diffrent systems(one being the WCO, one being the spread) he has underperformed in both.

    Saffold showed he could protect for the WCO but not int mcd's offensive scheme, and he also is creating lots of penalties.

    Whether we think they suck or not, they both have clearly regressed in this new system. which does not bode well with me.
    RockinRam and ZiaRam like this.


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. X-ray, MRI Negative On Saffold
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-15-2010, 09:24 PM
  2. Saffold
    By Dwight Frye in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -11-15-2010, 04:19 PM
  3. Video Breakdown of Saffold
    By RamsSB99 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -10-08-2010, 09:12 AM
  4. Saffold Passes First Test
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
  5. Saffold close to a deal.
    By Varg6 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •