Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Saffold

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: Saffold

move Smith to guard, bite the bullet and get another OT

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Saffold's regression is baffling. He was outstanding last year. I disagree with any assertion that Smith played really well last year. He has been an injury plagued riddle, wrapped inside a question mark, disguised as a tackle since we drafted him. Of course, using the number 2 overall pick on a right tackle to move him to left tackle to them move him back to right tackle may not have been the best decision in the history of personnel moves, but hindsight is 20-20 and i certainly supported the pick at the time.
    Smith's cap number is a lead weight around our neck. That is not the case with Saffold.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. How a young guy in his prime goes from good to piss-poor in a year is mind-boggling. I don't doubt a new offense throws some wrinkles at you that probably need adjusting to, but it ain't rocket science. We desperately need these guys to perform. And I really don't know what else must be done to get these guys to play to potential.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yea, they suck, let's kill 'em, blah, blah, blah.

Ok, now for folks who want to seriously look at this.....

There's something on a large scale going on here. These two OBVIOUSLY don't suck. They OBVIOUSLY can play their positions. Because they did so quite well just last year!

So what has changed from last year to this year? That is what needs to be answered.
    Yeah Hub they both can play.. that's for sure, so whats changed?

New Offense. the scheme is calling for a lot more 5 and seven 7 step drops.
    The WR we have except DX just are not fast enough to create separation in deeper routes, which causes coverage sacks. No off-season to get the work in that it takes to play as a unit. The rules changes that do not allow the player to practice in pads as much...

WR are not on the same page as the QB yet...

Last year the Rams helped the O-line by moving the pocket and rolling Sam out have not seen that this year.

Last week the Rams went no huddle a lot on the road and did it well except the false starts, not easy to do.

I still think these two young players will get better over time.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-18-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    HUbison likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Rambos;399557]Yeah Hub they both can play.. that's for sure, so whats changed?

New Offense. the scheme is calling for a lot more 5 and seven 7 step drops.
    The WR we have except DX just are not fast enough to create separation in deeper routes, which causes coverage sacks. No off-season to get the work in that it takes to play as a unit. The rules changes that do not allow the player to practice in pads as much...

Well, not much we can do now so if what you are saying is correct, then we should see stepped improvement week to week from these two, right? They are pro's, have played football since they were probably knee high to grasshopper so learning new scheme, taking more steps back in new scheme should all start to iron out SOON. Right? Logically speaking of course. If by season end, we see no marked improvement then I would seriously question their longevity in NFL.
    ZiaRam likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    i will say, Smith sucks, in 2 diffrent systems(one being the WCO, one being the spread) he has underperformed in both.
    Didn't Smith make it to the 2nd pick because he played well in a pass first, spread option at Baylor?

Given that lines around the league are having issues, I think it's a larger problem with the new practice regimen. The league may be trying to reduce practice injuries and concussions, but quarterbacks around the league are paying for it. Sam's just one of the latest. Jason Campbell might wish that his line could have practiced more as well.
    I believe!

Rambos is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=macrammer;399559]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Yeah Hub they both can play.. that's for sure, so whats changed?

Well, not much we can do now so if what you are saying is correct, then we should see stepped improvement week to week from these two, right? They are pro's, have played football since they were probably knee high to grasshopper so learning new scheme, taking more steps back in new scheme should all start to iron out SOON. Right? Logically speaking of course. If by season end, we see no marked improvement then I would seriously question their longevity in NFL.
    Yeah I think we should see improvement from all the players... Salas said that if we had an off season
    That last weeks game would be like week one. If you counted all the practices the players missed.

The coaches have to help these guys out as well move the pocket, use a TE to help out on deeper routes. Lloyd said with him coming in may give the O line hope that if they hold the block a second longer he will get open and make it worth it. Lloyd and Clayton should help with the coverage sacks and run the ball more and take the underneath routes.

My fear is if Smith just can get it together then we wasted that pick! Saffold could go back to the RT and play at a high level if he has to but I hope that they both get it together soon we can't go back and use high draft pick on a tackle when we need a Stud WR!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Smith didnt perform very well last year, at right tackle, when we were performing 3 step drops the majority of pass plays.

Saffold played great in the 3 step drop system.

now in our new scheme, which warrants us to protect longer then 3 steps, our tackles have performed less then average.
    I think you're hitting on it here. These guys were better when they weren't asked to block for longer drops. Makes you wonder if Shurmur's dink and dunk was as much for Saffold and Smith as it was for Bradford.

Remember, when Saffold was drafted, the assumption was that he'd become the Rams' new starting RT with Smith being the blindside protector. That Saffold emerged as the starting left tackle was a bit of a surprise at first. If these two continue to disappoint this season, maybe it's time to evaluate whether or not Saffold needs to be tried on the right side and Smith needs to be... well... removed from that role.

Of course, that would leave the Rams with a vacancy at left tackle. For thoughts on that, see the poll I started in Draft/FA.

Then again, maybe the light switch gets turned on and they start improving through the rest of the season. Certainly could happen, and I hope it does. I really don't want this team to have another hole needing to be filled.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think you're hitting on it here. These guys were better when they weren't asked to block for longer drops. Makes you wonder if Shurmur's dink and dunk was as much for Saffold and Smith as it was for Bradford.
    I get frustrated with how nuanced and specialized some of these players have become, but I think Tampa Ram has hit on THE difference.......the WCO vs. Air McDaniels.

The WCO does a wonderful job of hiding weaknesses and minimizing risk. I think Saffold and Smith gained as much (or more) from that as Bradford and Amendola. As mentioned, much less was asked from them in Shurmur's offense.

So now, our question moves to the next level. Which is true:

1. Smith and Saffold are one trick ponies that can not successfully block beyond the low risk WCO?
    2. Smith and Saffold are basically in a rookie campaign as the difference in offenses is too great for much carryover?

For the long term health of this offense (and Bradford), I hope it's the latter.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Saffold was not as good as it appeared last year. He's not doing a good job of holding his block for the extra second or so it takes to get the ball out in McD's offense.

From Stats, Inc.

Saffold allowed only 3 sacks last year, however he yielded 10 additional QB hits, easily a team high. So he allowed the QB to be hit 13 times overall, and that led the team.

This year he's given up 7 sacks and 2 additional QB hits.

For those with AGENDAS in this thread, and there are some, the game against GB was easily the best we've pass protected all year, and if that is not good enough for you, then nothing ever will.

Bradford was hit 5 times total in the game, one on a Woodson blitz, once of Hawk's blitz, once on Matthews blitz which came on a stunt, and two other times by Matthews.

Only one of the hits was attributed to Jason Smith, who played an EXCELLENT game on Matthews.
    live4ramin likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So what has changed from last year to this year? That is what needs to be answered.
    Yeah... its almost as if both players were banged up in a shortened preseason during which a new offense was installed.

Nah... that can't be it. Last year must have been a fluke.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm still trying to figure out all the false starts. With the system changes I'll give them a pass on performance, but I still see no reason for undisciplined play. Undisciplined play that is killing the offense in critical situations.
    Tampa_Ram and RockinRam like this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out all the false starts. With the system changes I'll give them a pass on performance, but I still see no reason for undisciplined play. Undisciplined play that is killing the offense in critical situations.
    Thats what i can't understand too. Unless the new snap count is massively difficult to remember!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

He will put it back together. All these silly mock drafts about us taking a tackle in round 1 are making me angry.

We are much more weak at other positions.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

The way it was described to me, it's not so much the snap count as the anxiety.

You want to get to the block faster and harder, and the defense will do ANYTHING to get you to jump and draw you off.

I know that probably should not apply in the NHL, but when you're overwhelmed mistakes happen at any level?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    The way it was described to me, it's not so much the snap count as the anxiety.

You want to get to the block faster and harder, and the defense will do ANYTHING to get you to jump and draw you off.

I know that probably should not apply in the NHL, but when you're overwhelmed mistakes happen at any level?
    This is the only explanation that I could come up with as well. Both Saffold and Smith have been dinged up and are regularly getting beat, so I would imagine they are both pressing to get a jump on the opposing rush.

That said, it might be a reason, but it's not an excuse. If you know the count, you stay in your stance until the ball is snapped. If these guys are having a problem with anxiety, they need repeated repitition in practice, with defensive lineman yelling at them and jumping around to try and draw them off again and again until they get it right. The drive killing, red zone busting false start penalties absolutely have to stop. I put this in large part on the coaching staff.
    macrammer likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast