Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Saffold Starting at Right Guard

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Saffold Starting at Right Guard

Source: ESPN.com

Rodger Saffold is expected to start at right guard for the Rams on Sunday against the Colts.
    Harvey Dahl is out with a knee injury. Saffold has been rotating at right tackle with Joe Barksdale since Saffold returned from a knee injury of his own a couple weeks ago. Some around the game believe Saffold makes a better guard than tackle. At 6-foot-5, 314 pounds, Saffold hasn't played guard since middle school.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Saffold Starting at Right Guard

I thought he played pretty well.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Saffold was actually projected to play guard when the Rams drafted him.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The most incredible thing about Saffold's performance yesterday is that he made it through 60 minutes of football without an injury.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bruce4life is online now Registered User
    If Saffold continues to play well does he deserves a big Contract? I think saffold has potential to be a solid guard in the league.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    If Saffold continues to play well does he deserves a big Contract? I think saffold has potential to be a solid guard in the league.
    Even if he stays healthy for the rest of the year, he still doesn't warrant a big contract. He's been injured entirely to much as a Ram and hasn't exactly been a world-beater when healthy.

If he can finish out the season strong, I could see the Rams offering him a low-end 1/2 year "prove it" deal.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Even if he stays healthy for the rest of the year, he still doesn't warrant a big contract. He's been injured entirely to much as a Ram and hasn't exactly been a world-beater when healthy.

If he can finish out the season strong, I could see the Rams offering him a low-end 1/2 year "prove it" deal.
    Which he will likely reject as he tries to get a job as a LT for somebody in need then take a RT job when none are offered and the money isn't there for him. He's a good Tackle just can't stay on the field. Glass Rodger.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Even if he stays healthy for the rest of the year, he still doesn't warrant a big contract. He's been injured entirely too much as a Ram and hasn't exactly been a world-beater when healthy.

Agreed as most likely plan.

general counsel is offline Registered User

While not impossible, i think its highly unlikely he is back. As fans, we should not underestimate the sheer and utter desperation of several teams in the league at the tackle position. Tackles are far more in demand than guards and Saffold is young enough for someone to step up and make him a real offer in my view. Never say never, and i would love him back on the cheap, but i think someone will pay him to play tackle and i dont believe that the Rams will be that team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    mde8352gorams likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Looking at the tackle situation at a number of teams, Rodger will get paid. He is an upgrade for quite a few teams. However, that doesn't mean he is great.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The fan base in St Louis is under the impression Saffold is injury prone whereas actual GMs know that's not a medical reality. The Rams can't sign him to a major contract and risk him getting injured again because fans will declare it as an obvious outcome and denounce Fisher and Snead. If the Bears sign him and he gets injured, the fans in Chicago won't reach that same conclusion.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Looking at the tackle situation at a number of teams, Rodger will get paid. He is an upgrade for quite a few teams. However, that doesn't mean he is great.
    I'm not so sure. If you look at last year's FA period, you'll see that RTs such as Eric Winston and Andre Smith found that the market was not all that interested in paying premium $ for their services. I think Rodger may find a similarly soft market for his services, particularly given his durability issues.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not so sure. If you look at last year's FA period, you'll see that RTs such as Eric Winston and Andre Smith found that the market was not all that interested in paying premium $ for their services. I think Rodger may find a similarly soft market for his services, particularly given his durability issues.
    The key in your post is RT. Those players are not given the big $ because there are so many outsize contracts given to LT's & QB's (but that is a whole different argument). Saffold has shown he can play LT, making him that much more valuable and if he finishes the season at RG, listen to the cash register ring.

Look at Miami right now, they'll pay Saffold in my opinion. Not to mention the thrill of taking a player from us after we secured Jeff Fisher and took Jake Long away. Those are superfluous matters admittedly. After last night, the GM and HC may have job security about which to worry.

My point is Saffold may easily get an offer too big to refuse because there are enough teams looking to bolster their O-Lines. Green Bay and AZ come to mind.

Go Rams!

live4ramin is offline Registered User

As a tackle I think he's in Alex Barron territory, but to become a great guard for us would be serendipitous indeed. By demonstrating his versatility he becomes much more valuable to us as well as others.
    Randart likes this.
    The break, don't bend offense.

Randart is offline Registered User

I had hopes in preseason Roger would be good at RT but he really was not very good there, not sure the why of it but his foot work was horrendous. Only thought him serviceable at LT and he could not stay on the field as you guys point out. Now as a guard it seems to really be his spot as his foot work is not so exposed and he can use his size and techniques of power to contact in small areas and be effective. If we can see this I really wonder what other coaches and GM's might see in him? His niche trully seems to be guard imho.

Would be nice if he could finish out the season and keep the ball rolling at guard, then it is a dice roll. If healthy he really might be getting some attention as you guys said, he would show his versatillity and his willingness to be a team guy. A guy who did what he was asked and played hard that will go along way in his favor with any team needing a O-Lineman! A good question might be... Does Roger feel any loyalty to this organization and will he give them a chance to match offers? That would be fair, but not sure how he feels about changing positions twice in a season. I am just glad the guy finally has a fit on the line that seems to suit him and the team!
    Torry Holt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast