Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By sjacksonrules
  • 7 Post By Fettmaster
  • 2 Post By Rambos

Thread: Saints Player After Hit On Favre: 'Pay Me My Money!'

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Saints Player After Hit On Favre: 'Pay Me My Money!'

Part of an SI article by Peter King:

On Saturday nights during the 2009 NFL season, Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the lightning-rod leader of a feisty unit, would stand in front of his men holding white envelopes filled with cash—bonuses for their performances the previous week. As Williams called up player after player, handing them envelopes with amounts ranging from $100 for a special teams tackle inside the opponents' 20-yard line to $1,500 for knocking a foe out of the game, a chant would rise up from the fired-up defenders:

"Give it back! Give it back! Give it back!"

Many players would do just that, to beef up the pot and make the stakes bigger as the season went on. The NFL alleges that by the time New Orleans reached the NFC Championship Game against the Vikings on Jan. 24, 2010, the stakes had risen to the point that middle linebacker and defensive captain Jonathan Vilma personally offered a $10,000 bounty to any player who knocked Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre out of the game. (SI's attempts to reach Vilma were unsuccessful.)

Over four quarters that Sunday at the Superdome, Favre was hit repeatedly and hard. The league later fined Saints defensive linemen Bobby McCray and Anthony Hargrove a total of $25,000 for three separate improper hits, and NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira said the Saints should have been flagged for a brutal high-low mashing by McCray and defensive lineman Remi Ayodele in the third quarter. Favre suffered a badly sprained left ankle on that play and had to be helped off the field. On the New Orleans sideline, Hargrove excitedly slapped hands with teammates, saying, "Favre is out of the game! Favre is done! Favre is done!"

An on-field microphone directed toward the sideline caught an unidentified defender saying, "Pay me my money!"

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Saints Player After Hit On Favre: 'Pay Me My Money!'

an on field microphone directed towards the sidelines
    Just ask belichick who his microphone was pointed at that day
    Torry Holt and Tampa_Ram like this.

Having Favre knocked out of the game, then Hargrove saying "Favre is out of the game! Farve is done! Farve is done!", followed by another Saints player saying "Pay me my money!", must have been difficult for Williams to explain to NFL investigators. It's easy to see why they are working on the assumption of pay-for-injury.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Over four quarters that Sunday at the Superdome, Favre was hit repeatedly and hard.
    You don't say? Incredible, a football player was hit "repeatedly and hard" during a football game. What a bizarre turn of events. Why didn't somebody stop it?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Show me the evidence. If a microphone captured it, then it should be put out for everyone to see.

Hargrove saying "Favre is out of the game" is not evidence of a bounty system. It's a big deal for a defense to see the opposition starting QB out for the rest of the game, because it makes the game so much easier to play

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Show me the evidence. If a microphone captured it, then it should be put out for everyone to see.
    I agree. The NFL doesn't have a lot of credibility these days, and if they're saying Williams' bounty program targeted players for injury, they need to publicly provide the evidence.

That said, Williams is reportedly working with the NFL on the investigation, and if the investigators played him the audio of "Pay me my money!", I wouldn't be surprised if Williams came clean on everthing the NFL is charging. We'll see.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    You don't say? Incredible, a football player was hit "repeatedly and hard" during a football game. What a bizarre turn of events. Why didn't somebody stop it?
    They didn't have to beat him up they could have just pulled his flag.

Rambos is offline Registered User

How about the Rams super bowl when on the sideline sounds of the game a coach says. You hit him five times we need to hit him five more. Saying hit Warner and hit him often, it's part of the game.

Why would a player take a cheap shot to hurt a player for $1500 when he's going to get a fine of $25000. makes no sense to me.
    Fat Pang and THOLTFAN81 like this.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Because incentive is incentive. No matter how small the reward is relative to the penalty you are still being "Challenged" which means you have extra motivation to use dirty tactics like blind siding Warner, who was in no position to make a tackle, during the playoffs. You have heard every former player on sportscenter talk about how common the bounty system is in the NFL, so obviously the players have to be taking the bait even for a payout as little as $1500