Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Saipaia now a TE plus more--Wagoner

Tuesday Afternoon
    Tuesday, October 4, 2005

- Cameron Cleeland is officially back and will wear No. 82. Cleeland wore 87 last season, but that number has been taken by Jeff Robinson.

- It seems that Brandon Manumaleuna is going to be out this week. We will know tomorrow when the Rams resume practice, but there has been a change on the roster that would indicate that the Rams are in search of another tight end in addition to Cleeland.

- Mike Martz said yesterday that he wouldn't go into a game with an offense relying on two tight ends as much when there are only two active tight ends entering the game. With that in mind, it appears that offensive lineman Blaine Saipaia will start working at tight end. Saipaia is listed as a tight end in the official release for this week and has switched his number to 49 from 60.

- Clearly, Saipaia won't be the type of tight end that can stretch the field and make plays, but he could be a nice addition in the running game as a blocker. Saipaia is the ultimate team player. It's amazing that just a week or so ago everyone joked with him about playing receiver or free safety, but now he really is branching out. He has played every position on the offensive line during the season and now he is at tight end. Like I said before, don't expect Saipaia to be heavily involved in catching the ball, but he was a solid run blocker when he got his chance and he should be able to help jumpstart the running game.

- I usually spend my Tuesdays watching other games from around the league on the NFL Shortcuts package on DirectTV, but I had to watch some baseball. Back to the football now and I will have some thoughts from around the league later tonight or tomorrow.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Saipaia now a TE plus more--Wagoner

Hmm, that will be interesting. :football:

As long as Saipaia blocks and/or punches away defenders (pass or run schemes), I'll tag him TE myself! No problem.

Anyone know how Rex Tucker is doing?

maineram Guest

The lack of running game must have left a bad taste with Martz. Saipaia will sure solve the run blocking problems, and if he don't Terrell will. Can't wait to see Jackson deep behind Saipaia, behind Bulger. That'll be a load. I think I like it when Martz is pi$$edoff !!!!

GO MARTZ...how dare they

Maineram - :clanram:

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It's about time they did something to get the run game going.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamsFan16 Guest

I doubt it will get the run going. I mean he didn't do good on the oline what makes you think he will do good at TE?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

He is an offensive lineman !!

Personally, I don't forsee him blocking well in space. Guess we're gonna find out.

Don't listen to em Mike Martz !!

Keep throwing the ball and if possible get that pathetic defense some help !!

BTW Martz - Wilkens still sucks from 45 yds. out in a clutch situation. You need a new punter and the special teams are still killing you with field position.

RamsFan16 Guest

Martz doesn't care. It is not the offense that needs help well the part that he pays attention to because he obviously isn't doing anything to help anything besides switching our garbage players to other positions. Except Furrey that was a good move

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think this is a very intriguing move, and I wouldn't rule out Saipaia becoming a red zone target on a roll out or something (if he shows decent hands) just because teams might not expect it. Still, you have to think an offensive lineman playing tight end would improve your blocking at that position.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Martz doesn't care. It is not the offense that needs help well the part that he pays attention to because he obviously isn't doing anything to help anything besides switching our garbage players to other positions. Except Furrey that was a good move
    What do you want Martz to do? They signed a TE that knows their offense. What more can he do?

Look around the NFL. Every team has a handful of players who lack discipline and self-pride. The majority of todays players are simply collecting a big fat check.

Rams teams of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, who were often seriously outmatched in talent, had more self-pride and discipline than many of todays players. And they made a hell of a lot less money.

Martz doesn't care?

I beg to differ. Too many players don't care.

tim Guest

I know he sucked at pass blocking for Bulger when he was a tackle, but I doubt I'm the only one who saw him blowing up guys in the running game upfield. I don't even pay that much attention to the o-line while watching a game, and I noticed him a few times.

for once i feel good about one of Martz' experiments.

Scidog68 Guest

Saipaia sucked as a Tackle. As a blocking TE I see some possible success. Downfield he was rather effective and he is certainly mobile enough.

For all the naysayers I ask; Could this make it any worse? Hardly. Anything to seek improvement, right? Mike could have just left things alone and told everyone that they'll play the game his way and make it work. Instead, he's making changes and trying to adapt.

Wait to see if any of it works before you brand the moves foolish, eh?

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Thumbs down Re: Saipaia now a TE plus more--Wagoner

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    I know he sucked at pass blocking for Bulger when he was a tackle, but I doubt I'm the only one who saw him blowing up guys in the running game upfield. I don't even pay that much attention to the o-line while watching a game, and I noticed him a few times.

for once i feel good about one of Martz' experiments.
    I agree its not all that crazy to try Saipaia at TE. He did block one of Jacksons bigger runs of the year. I do recall him blowing some people up this year.

The only thing soft about this starting unit would be the doughnut boys midsection.

This would be a huge lineup that we might see with the exception of Bulger instead of Hargrove.

LT Pace 6'7 325
    LG Terrell 6'2 343
    C McCollum 6'4 300
    RG Timmerman 6'4 310
    RT Barron 6'7 320
    TE Saipaia 6'3 310
    FB Manu 6'2 288
    RB Jackson 6'2 231
    QB Hargrove 6'3 269 (okay that might be stretching it but he did play QB and safety in high school.)
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-04-2005 at 11:15 PM.

psycho9985 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I think this is a very intriguing move, and I wouldn't rule out Saipaia becoming a red zone target on a roll out or something (if he shows decent hands) just because teams might not expect it. Still, you have to think an offensive lineman playing tight end would improve your blocking at that position.
    I agree Nick.Martz will probably use Saipaia on short yardage passes,maybe some end around,catches in the flat,and maybe bulldozing the defences to wear them out.I wouldnt blame him for trying either.Blains new nickname(if this works out)might be Kona Gold.
    LOL
    Last edited by psycho9985; -10-05-2005 at 03:00 AM.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

You guys are right, with Manu and Blaine at FB and TE it would be a huge rushing attack. Jackson is large too, so it would be fun to see what this large running attack could do to the Seachickens. Maybe run over Bryce Fisher or Grant Wistrom a litter harder for good measure.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    What do you want Martz to do? They signed a TE that knows their offense. What more can he do?

Look around the NFL. Every team has a handful of players who lack discipline and self-pride. The majority of todays players are simply collecting a big fat check.

Rams teams of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, who were often seriously outmatched in talent, had more self-pride and discipline than many of todays players. And they made a hell of a lot less money.

Martz doesn't care?

I beg to differ. Too many players don't care.

Who did we sign? and when? Cause I didn't see anything official that we resigned Cleeland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast