RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Salary Cap/Contract Questions!

I just finished reading an article that stated the Rams are still in fairly good shape financially. 11.5 million dollars UNDER the cap....not bad!

But, with Leonard, Carriker, and Bulger left to sign, how will we fare?

I guess that there will be about a 4 million dollar difference once these contracts are signed, leaving us with about 7.5 million.

But, what about Brown's suspension? What happens to the quarter million he won't be earning? Does that go back into the kitty? Or, does that cash get forfeited by the club, too?

Either way, with 7.5 million left this season, I would think that leaves us some space for a defensive free agent (if one comes available) plus a little rollover for signing Jackson next season.

Of course, if I knew the answers, I wouldn't be asking. So, can someone tell me the answers?

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

Re: Salary Cap/Contract Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I just finished reading an article that stated the Rams are still in fairly good shape financially. 11.5 million dollars UNDER the cap....not bad!

I guess that there will be about a 4 million dollar difference once these contracts are signed, leaving us with about 7.5 million.

But, what about Brown's suspension? What happens to the quarter million he won't be earning? Does that go back into the kitty? Or, does that cash get forfeited by the club, too?

Either way, with 7.5 million left this season, I would think that leaves us some space for a defensive free agent (if one comes available) plus a little rollover for signing Jackson next season.

Of course, if I knew the answers, I wouldn't be asking. So, can someone tell me the answers?
    As far as Brown goes, I don't think the money goes back into the pot. At least I wouldn't think it would, wouldn't make much sense on why it would. I would suppose teams would have to bite the bullet with that kind of thing.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Suspended players salaries still count on the cap, and I think the money goes straight to the league office, but I'm not sure.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Suspended players salaries still count on the cap, and I think the money goes straight to the league office, but I'm not sure.
    Interesting question.... If the league received a suspended player's salary it might appear to be a conflict of interest. Why should the league benefit financially from a suspension? Maybe if it went to the league retirement fund or some such but not to where the league can access it. :x
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well that's what I mean by to the league. They use it for something, like positive PR(to offset the offender's bad PR), or retirement funds, or who knows, but I doubt it just goes into Goodell's pocket.

z.nrd Guest

This does not answer your question. Though I am trying to find the answer. Chances are someone else will post it first.

But here's just a couple of FWIW facts. Some here might know them, some might not.

The whole suspension policy thing is revised this year. There are more elements to it. The revisions were put in place after negotiations between the league office and the union.

* Players get a 4 game suspension after their first positive test for steroids. For street drugs (pot, coke) there is no suspension until there is a second violation. This is probably because the first reaction to street drugs is out-reach and counseling, etc.

* They increased the number of people they are testing randomly per week. It is now harder to cover things up, and harder to use performance enhancers cause now it;s harder to cover it up. They've also increased the sensitivity of the tests for performance enhancers.

* A suspension does not take effect until an appeals process is completed.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Interesting question.... If the league received a suspended player's salary it might appear to be a conflict of interest. Why should the league benefit financially from a suspension? Maybe if it went to the league retirement fund or some such but not to where the league can access it. :x
    \

This policy came about through a process of negotiation with the player's union. Both had to agree to every part of it.

Chances are great that the union would not agree to procedures that put the league in a conflict of interest position. So the fines must go somewhere and do something that would not put the league office in that position.

z.nrd Guest

BTW, I learned why the Rams can't say anything. The league/union policy mandates complete confidentiality. If any medical info of any kind is revealed by the team in relation to tests or a suspension, the league is empowered to fine the team up to $500,000.

thanks, Z, that might 'splain a few thins...
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

bustin_figs is offline Registered User

Here is something I read on NFL.com.

The NFL donates its fine money to charities, and those charities cashed in Monday -- to the tune of $55,000.
    Figs:ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by bustin_figs View Post
    Here is something I read on NFL.com.

The NFL donates its fine money to charities, and those charities cashed in Monday -- to the tune of $55,000.
    Hey Figs, thanks for the update! We would appreciate links to stories you find on other sites though so we can read them in toto.

I don't see it on nfl.com but I don't doubt it is there, somewhere. That is why links help us!

$55K doesn't sound like much for the the number of incidents of late. Maybe the fines have to clear waivers first....

Thanks again, keep posting.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post

Brown's salary isn't spent and doesn't count against the cap. His bonus money does, though.

Signing Bulger will cost considerably more than 1 million this year. If he gets a deal in the 60-70 million range, which is likely (if it isn't more), he could have a 5 or 7 million dollar cap hit this year, easily.

I doubt they will have much left over after signing Bulger.