Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By ZiaRam

Thread: Salas Bounces Back

Rambos is offline Registered User

Salas Bounces Back

By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. – After a tough night in New York in week 2, it would have been easy for Rams rookie receiver Greg Salas to go into a shell.

Instead, Salas went back to work and battled in practice to regain the coaching staff’s confidence in him. With slot receiver Danny Amendola now officially out for the year, the opportunity came Sunday against the Packers.

And Salas took advantage of his second chance, catching the ball clean and showing nice moves and burst when running after the catch.

“I know he faced a lot of scrutiny for the Monday night game he had but he came back and showed he can play,” fellow wideout Danario Alexander said of Salas’ performance. “I feel like him being a rookie and just coming in camp there’s a lot of things he had to learn. Once he got everything down, he just came out and played fast.”

Salas did play fast. He was targeted 10 times and led the Rams with eight receptions and posted 77 yards in the process.

While the bright lights and big stage of Monday Night Football in his debut as the slot receiver might have been too much for Salas to digest, his bounce back performance against the Packers was every bit as encouraging.

In that game against New York, Salas had a couple of costly drops on passes in the offense and muffed a punt that led to a Giants touchdown. In his first extended action in the NFL, it was far from the debut he’d hoped to provide.

“Definitely,” Salas said. “It was tough. It’s definitely not the way you want to start anything by having drops and a big fumble on a punt return. But you have got to stay mentally tough and know that you’re here for a reason and know you’ll get another shot if you just keep pushing.”

Salas did keep pushing and though he was inactive in the ensuing games against Baltimore and Washington, he began to methodically work his way back into the mix.

The drops were uncharacteristic of Salas, whose numbers at Hawaii would indicate he was one of the most reliable receivers in collegiate history. In taking away the punt return duties, Salas was able to focus solely on understanding the offense and his role in the slot.

Over the bye week, the Rams were able to get in a couple of extra practices, emphasizing fundamentals.

“I think it was,” Salas said. “You have always got to focus on the fundamentals, catching the ball as a receiver. That’s what you do. You catch the ball. The bye week helped recharge, get our minds off of football for a while and then focus up and get back to work.”

When the Rams came back to practice last Monday, the coaching staff informed Salas during a quarterbacks meeting he attended that he would be back up and involved in practice and likely active against the Packers.

During the practice week, Salas was heavily involved in the passing game and quarterback Sam Bradford wasted no time going to him Sunday as he caught three passes in the opening quarter though one was nullified by a holding penalty.

“I felt a little more comfortable,” Salas said. “I was able to get some catches real quick to help get my confidence up and I was getting more comfortable as the game went along.”

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Salas Bounces Back

It was nice seeing a Rams player actually getting some run after the catch, good job Greg Salas. I feel he is coming along quite nicely, he will only benefit when Clayton and Lloyd get up to speed too.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -10-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Five real games into their career and there appears to be some growing in all the rookie recievers (Salas, Kendrick & Pettis).

I only hope that growing continues and picks up its pace when Lloyd, Clayton and Bradford are all on the field together.

Hold onto the ball guys. It's hard enough battling the false starts and other miscues (dropped lateral returned for a touch down). Eliminating a large amount of the drops, and those passes that aren't caught that should be caught (because the statistician defines things differently) will go a helluva long way in this teams improvement.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -10-18-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: continuing thought
    Semper Fi!

Vote WR Salas for Pepsi Rookie of the Week

Wide Receiver GREG SALAS of the St. Louis Rams, is a finalist for PEPSI NFL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK honors for games played on October 16-17, the NFL announced today. Fans can vote on NFL.com/rookies beginning Tuesday at 9 am ET and ending on Friday at noon ET to determine the PEPSI NFL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK. The PEPSI NFL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK will be announced Friday on NFL Total Access on NFL Network and on NFL.com.

After the regular season, five players will be nominated for Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year honors. Fans can vote for the winner on NFL.com/rookies throughout the month of January. The winner will be announced at a press conference at Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis.

A closer look at the finalists:

St. Louis Rams wide receiver GREG SALAS had eight catches for 77 yards in his first start as the Rams fell to the Green Bay Packers, 24-3.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback ANDY DALTON completed 78.1 percent of his passes for 264 yards and one touchdown in the Bengals’ 27-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts.

Chicago Bears defensive tackle STEPHEN PAEA had two tackles, one sack and a safety in his first NFL game as he helped the Bears down the Minnesota Vikings, 39-10.

Cleveland Browns defensive end JABAAL SHEARD had four tackles, a sack and a forced fumble in the Browns’ 24-17 defeat at the hands of the Oakland Raiders.

San Francisco ***** linebacker ALDON SMITH had four tackles, two sacks, a safety and a forced fumble in the *****’ 25-19 win over the Detroit Lions.

This is Pepsi’s tenth year as the official soft drink sponsor of the NFL and the tenth year that Pepsi will present the NFL Rookie of the Week and NFL Rookie of the Year awards.

macrammer is online now Registered User

I just returned from Kauai and when I was out there, i asked my local friends about Salas and they all said great things about him and they were all shocked to see his performance againt the Gmen. They say he will be a good to great receiver just hang in there. I was impressed with his game last sundfay and it was definitely a bright spot. I will vote for the young man, geez, we need some type of award other then dubious ones .....

Trevor is offline Registered User

Brandon gibson had a great first game and so did DX... Just 1 game..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

After a tough night in New York in week 2, it would have been easy for Rams rookie receiver Greg Salas to go into a shell.

Instead, Salas went back to work and battled in practice to regain the coaching staff’s confidence in him. With slot receiver Danny Amendola now officially out for the year, the opportunity came Sunday against the Packers.
    Coming back from a disasterous Monday Night and excelling in his chance against the Pack was a monumental step for Salas. It's only going to make him stronger and more confident. I was a big fan from his days at Hawaii, so his performance against the Giants was extremely disappointing, but he's proven he can get it done under the most intense pressure. I have a feeling he's going to continue to prove it.
    Rambos and Varg6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Brandon gibson had a great first game and so did DX... Just 1 game..

I think you are missing it big time. Gibby has been in the NFL for awhile we know what his upside is and there just is none. Salas is a rookie that had a big time set back on Monday night footbal. He had to face that head on and keep working to get back on the field. Not sure if you saw the game or not but he had 9 catches one was called back for holding and had nice RAC yards.

It's funny how we all want a great WR but when a Ram rookie has a great game we get a comment like this instead of I hope he can go next week.

Go Rams!

richtree is offline Registered User

It's nice to see a player bounce back from bad games....

Salas is under a little more pressure than most of our WR's. Since he plays the slot, it is hard to envision, keeping both he and Danny on the roster next year if we draft another WR in the first round.

The one good thing is that he will have the opportunity to perform from the slot from the rest of the season. I don't think the Rams will use Gibson in the slot much (if at all) the way the Eagles use Avant.

It slows our slow team down. Welker is the gold standard for slot WRs, and Danny is the benchmark here.

Salas need to slow he can block on runs from 3WR sets....and become dependable..

This is a HUGE opportunity for him, it will be interesting to see what happens in the second half of the season.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I just returned from Kauai and when I was out there, i asked my local friends about Salas and they all said great things about him and they were all shocked to see his performance againt the Gmen. They say he will be a good to great receiver just hang in there. I was impressed with his game last sundfay and it was definitely a bright spot. I will vote for the young man, geez, we need some type of award other then dubious ones .....
    I've watched him play personally living in a WAC city and kept up with him throughout his career at Hawaii and love the guy as a player. Think the bright lights and big stage and sudden responsibility unnerved him a bit. Think that shock and awe is finally wearing off and he will be good to go!
    macrammer likes this.