Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford Arm Strength.?

What do you guys think of it ? i was just looking at some of his highlights and saw people's comments and they are definitely hating on him.. and they saw he doesnt have the Deep ball it takes for the league ..

When i see his deep balls , they have no ZIP into it.. they stay in the air for quite awhile.. but wen he throws 10-20 yarders they have the quickest zip i've seen in awhile...

so what are your guys thoughts about his arm strength? i just hope he isnt a Chad Pennington .. all accuracy no arm .

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford Arm Strength.?

Sam definitely has the arm strength for the NFL. As you say when he throws the intermediate 10-20 yard balls they have great zip on it. The thing about deep balls you have to remember is that 90 percent of the time when a player is deep they have another player on them, so Sam is dropping the ball in over coverage. You can't exactly throw a laser in those situations, that is why the ball is in the air for a while. He has had no problem throwing the ball as far as needed, as well as being spot on with where it needs to go. Every deep ball I have seen him throw has been in the perfect place for his WR to make a play.

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Actually, I prefer the loft he puts on deep balls.

We see some QB's (Kolb), attempt to zip every ball, it doesn't work well.

The best QB is adaptable, because everyone situations calls for a different type of pass.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

He has plenty of arm strength. He may not be John Elway in that department, but he's no Chad Pennington either.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

I have no problem with this non-issue. His hail Mary's last season when needed (only twice from what I recall) were floated but certainly went the distance (50-60yds.) Isn't that the point?

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Someone has to be deep to throw to.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Absolute nonsense people hating on his arm strength. He has the ability to make all the throws. Lets get this straight, Bradford is no Chad Pennington. I am amazed that their is a thread posted about this. CRAZY with a capital C.
    I was under the impression coming into the draft, that he did not have the biggest of arms. After watching him over the season, I realise now, that his arm strength will never be an issue in my opinion.
    Bradford throws a nice deep ball, he always looks under control when throwing the ball deep. In his first season, I know he has not connected as much as he would have liked, on the deep balls. But this has nothing too do with his arm strength, because a lot were just slightly overthrown. Sometimes the recievers misjudged the ball in the air, a lot of the misfires were due to a lack of chemistry on both parties.
    Not all his deep balls are of the lofted type, and hang in the air too long. He can throw a deep ball with more zip, and a lower velocity on it quite easily.
    In the first game versus the *****, I clearly remember Bradford effortlessly throwing a dart, a full 45 to 50 yards, just inches out of Amendolas reach. There was certainly no loft on that long pass.
    If anything during the season, I posted a thread on this. I wanted Bradford to take a little heat, off his passes, use a little more touch. Sean Payton actually quoted that Sam had a live arm, and he is a better qualified judge of a QB than most people.
    GO RAMS
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-10-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling

harrydog is offline Registered User

His arm strength seems fine to me. I'd like it if he had a quicker release but that's just nitpicking.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

If Bradford can put the ball 50-60 yards down the field to a receiver, I don't care if it is lofted or a bullet. I've seen Bradford throw bullets to a man 15-20 yards down the field. There was a pass earlier in the year that went 33 yards to Brandon Gibson. It was pinpoint, but he put some serious mustard on the pass as well. If he hadn't, it likely would have been knocked down or intercepted. Bradford's arm is as strong enough to make all the throws, and that's all that really matters.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    What do you guys think of it ? i was just looking at some of his highlights and saw people's comments and they are definitely hating on him.. and they saw he doesnt have the Deep ball it takes for the league ..

When i see his deep balls , they have no ZIP into it.. they stay in the air for quite awhile.. but wen he throws 10-20 yarders they have the quickest zip i've seen in awhile...

so what are your guys thoughts about his arm strength? i just hope he isnt a Chad Pennington .. all accuracy no arm .
    if the highlights were on Youtube then it just sounds like the usual trolls they get on there...that are just bitter over everything..i blame formula milk and as usual..the french.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think a lot of the criticism comes from the fact that we didn't throw deep much last year. It's not that he can't air it out; we just didn't have the deep threats for him to throw to. As a result, he ranked pretty low in yards/completion. From what I can tell, he has the arm, and he did throw it downfield a bit more in the Oklahoma offense.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Someone has to be deep to throw to.
    We have a winner!!!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

I think he does have the arm strength. I agree not elite but very good.

I think the one criticism about Bradford that you could make is that his release point is lower than most QB's.

Maybe this allows him to be accurate, but he does seem to get more passes knocked down than other QB's.

Does anyone know where to find the stats for QB passes knocked down?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think he does have the arm strength. I agree not elite but very good.

I think the one criticism about Bradford that you could make is that his release point is lower than most QB's.

Maybe this allows him to be accurate, but he does seem to get more passes knocked down than other QB's.

Does anyone know where to find the stats for QB passes knocked down?
    This is something Sam admitted himself needs to be worked on. I dont have the stats Richtree, but I know Drew Brees led the league in that category. The short passing game didnt help Sam it that regard. In some cases, I agree, he did have a low trajectory point on the shorter passes, remember he was throwing the ball a lot to Amendola on 3rd down. This will improve in time, once he gets more comfortable with the speed of the game, he will start putting a little more touch on his passes, with the ball being thrown over the D-Linemen. I think people forget, he was a rookie after all, with receivers that were barely open all the time. A lot of the passes that were batted down, Sam was under duress, his instinct's took over, so he would just get rid of the ball as fast as possible. This is correctable. Working out of the shotgun will help. Hey, it could be worse. At least he doesnt have Mark Sanchez's problems(inaccuracy).
    Sams the least of our problems, Im so glad we drafted this guy.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

His deep pass to Amendola in the ****** game in Candlestick certainly had some zip on it, even with somebody in his face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast