Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Trevor
  • 2 Post By laram0

Thread: Sam Bradford caused the Rams 2011 downfall...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Sam Bradford caused the Rams 2011 downfall...

... by playing so well in 2010.

In 2010, the Rams went from 1-15 to 7-9. While there were several factors (schedule, down year for division foes), the biggest single reason, in my opinion, was Sam Bradford's strong play as a rookie.

The problem is that the Rams gained a false sense of where they were as a franchise. They convinced themselves that they could continue to rely on aging veterans who played well in 2010 (Fred Robbins, James Hall) and fill holes with others (Justin Bannan, Ben Leber, Al Harris). Even the draft strategy (i.e. not taking a WR in the first two rounds, not taking a RB at all) suggested an overconfidence in the existing roster.

As it turned out, the old players played like old players, while the younger players struggled in a new system with no real training camp. And, so... 2011 looked a lot like 2009.

Now, the new regime has purged the old guard, and is working on a long term approach. They've added young targets for Bradford, a promising backup for Steven Jackson, young anchors for the D line, and superior athletes to the DB corps.

Will we see another +6 wins season in 2012? I don't know.

But I believe that the next time the Rams play in Week 17 for a possible playoff birth, it won't be an anomaly. It will be a part of an upward trent toward lasting success.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford caused the Rams 2011 downfall...

Rams will make the playoffs this year.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

MACD is offline Registered User

I must say Avenger that's a fresh take on the last two seasons. And the more I think about it, the more the logic of it hits me in the face. Fisher's wholesale overhaul of the roster before one regular season snap...heck, even one ota snap...confirms it. In Jeff I trust....

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Totally agree here AV. It was way too much, too soon, for young Sam Bradford. I admire the swinging for the fences mentality by the old FO. But in this case, I feel LESS would have been MORE, in helping Sam Bradford. I'd imagine Bradford's over confidence also played a part in their decision to go with Josh McDaniels.?
    GO RAMS

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Linehan and Spags were given passes based on the "rebuild" the team was going through. They both however fell flat on their faces. I have a lot more confidence in Fisher's ability to recognize talent!
    THOLTFAN81 and mde8352gorams like this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

The problem is that the Rams gained a false sense of where they were as a franchise. They convinced themselves that they could continue to rely on aging veterans who played well in 2010 (Fred Robbins, James Hall) and fill holes with others (Justin Bannan, Ben Leber, Al Harris). Even the draft strategy (i.e. not taking a WR in the first two rounds, not taking a RB at all) suggested an overconfidence in the existing roster.
    There was a false hype surrounding the 2011 Rams for sure. I think it was mostly by the media and fans though and not other coaches around the league. Injuries wiped out whatever chance the 2011 Rams had, not by standing pat at some positions.

As far as the draft that year the Rams had holes all over the place with a defense minded HC. His big pick was Quinn. No surprise, right? Ditto Fisher this season with Brockers.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Linehan and Spags were given passes based on the "rebuild" the team was going through. They both however fell flat on their faces. I have a lot more confidence in Fisher's ability to recognize talent!
    You hit it right on the head laramO. You can talk about Fisher's knowledge of the processes of being a coach and that is all true, but at the end of the day it's about evaluating talent. That is where we have been terrible for the past 8 or so years.

I feel very confident about this draft class including the UDFA's. I didn't think that way in the first days after the draft, but as I learn more about the players and what they can bring, the better I feel. Fisher and Snead as well as the coaching staff know what to expect and how to identify the talent to get the Rams there.

Go Rams!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The Rams still have a ways to go to address its needs. But even if the Rams where too confident, they certainly didn't help themselves with J. McDanials...the lock out wasn't a surprise to most. The more successeful teams followed the KISS (keep it simple stupid) for the first quarter of the season at least. But if nothing else 2011 exposed lots of holes and needs.

Slowly Fisher and company are addressing those. And I don't see a lot of knee-jerk moves to acquire players to address those needs---more slow and hopefully better thought out ones. Still its a long way to opening day and a lot can happen