throwback week

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sam Bradford could have landed Rams high draft pick/NFL.com

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford could have landed Rams high draft pick/NFL.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The point of my post was to point out to the homers, apologists, and/or the uninformed on this board that the Rams could've been just as well off (and maybe even better off) with a Sam Bradford trade as we are having basically traded the rights to RG3. I would've been happy either way.

Your point really is moot, because it was not the case and will never be the case.
    Please read that last line out loud twice. And imagine the fun I had with the buckload of irony that's in there. Thanks it's been fun.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Please read that last line out loud twice. And imagine the fun I had with the buckload of irony that's in there. Thanks it's been fun.
    Difference is, the Rams had a choice to make between RG3 and Sam Bradford prior to last year's draft.

Their salaries were already determined.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Bradford did another thing that has gone unmentioned: he got Jeff Fisher to come here. Had Fisher not felt Bradford had the necessary skill set to be a future playoff QB, he never would have come here. Few would argue Fisher's arrival was a godsend. Furthermore, giving up on a guy in whom you've invested heavily after 2-3 years is simply not sound business, unless the guy is so horrendous he gives you no choice. Such is certainly not the case with Bradford.

As I've mentioned numerous times before, Bradford will improve as his surrounding cast (wide receivers/o-linemen) improves. 2012 illustrated that. He had decent numbers despite not really having a healthy Amendola or any guy who could ever be confused for a number one wideout. I am very encouraged with what the future holds for both our team and Bradford.

RGIII gives reason for concern given his body type and the high risk approach he takes to the position. And I for one am also NOT the least bit convinced the RGIIIs and the Kaepernicks are the future of the QB position. It has always- with few exceptions-been a drop back, pocket passing league. And given the increased size and speed of the defenses and the importance of keeping the QB healthy in today's game, I don't see it changing much anytime soon.

Be happy. Good times lie ahead.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -02-17-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    r8rh8rmike, lordwhttgr and ZiaRam like this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater

Basically because it's my prerogative. Would you like me to leave Avenger?
    If you're asking me whether I would endeavor to compel your departure, the answer is no.

If you're asking whether I'd miss you and you're constant whining and revisionism, the answer, again, is no.
    VegasRam likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Difference is, the Rams had a choice to make between RG3 and Sam Bradford prior to last year's draft.

Their salaries were already determined.
    It's not their salaries that is at issue. We all know that very few players with record setting contracts see all of their salaries. What forced the RAMS' hands was that trading Sam would have prvented us from signing anyone outside of our draft picks, and may have prevented us from sigining all of them. I don't remember how much of Sam's bonuses would have come crashing down on the 2012 salary cap, but it was huge. It was not economically feasable to trade Sam.

Given the cap implications, it still would have been a bad idea due to the style of play of RGmememe. He wouldn't have started 15 games behind our OL; which would have been weaker without the few FA pickups we had in 2012 (no cap money to sign them). Also, and this cannot be proven to those that need to see it happen, and then will only believe it if it is shown by the teleprompter, the RAMS OL would have been called for OL Holding about 200% more than the Skins were. The RAMS cannot get away with constant blatant OL holding that other teams with scrambling QBs seem to get away with.

basically, Sam vs RGmememe is moot because there was no way for RGmememe to replace Sam in St. louis.

gap
    emuen and ZiaRam like this.

thillis is offline Registered User

Let's not forget what we did with the extra pick we received in the Washington trade (Jenkins) and what players can come out of our extra two first rounders coming up. If the offers were presented to me at that time(or in hindsight) I would still take Bradford + 6th overall + 2013 and 2014 first rounders + 2nd Rounder over RG3 + 4th overall.
    Last edited by thillis; -02-17-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Bottom line: a healthy RGIII at 20 mil is a better value than a healthy Sam Bradford at 78 million, and anyone who disagrees doesn't watch much football, does'nt understand the salary cap, or is blind in their loyalty to Bradford. I love Sam Bradford, and I believe that with the right pieces around him (good OL, WR's, and TE's) he could be a top-8 QB, but his huge contract seriously affects the salary cap and reduces our chances to bring in talent via free agency, On the other hand, RGIII is modestly paid compared to Sam, and his athleticism and running ability allow him to not rely on having good OL or receivers; he could always escape the pocket when the line breaks down and his scrambling gives his receivers more time to get open. So does this mean that the Rams made the wrong choice? Not necessarily; running QB's tend to have shorter careers than pocket passers, and with RGIII being so small in stature, he's at an even higher risk of getting injured. Also, the Rams received two additional 1st round picks when they traded down with Washington, and a 2nd rounder that eventually became Janoris Jenkins. So you gotta ask yourself: is RGIII and a early 1st rounder better than Sam Bradford, Janoris Jenkis, and two future 1st rounders... I think not. I honestly believe that this is the year that Sam earns his paycheck, and with some better talent around him (either through FA or the draft) I think he's going to put up Pro Bowl numbers. Now if were talking about value, I hate to say it but I'd take Russell Wilson at 520,000 over either one of them, maybe even over anyone in the NFL.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If you're asking me whether I would endeavor to compel your departure, the answer is no.

If you're asking whether I'd miss you and you're constant whining and revisionism, the answer, again, is no.
    Me thinks you'd miss the hell out of me either way.

But for the record, my constant whining and revisionism is every bit as valid as your @$$ kissing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Bottom line: a healthy RGIII at 20 mil is a better value than a healthy Sam Bradford at 78 million, and anyone who disagrees doesn't watch much football, does'nt understand the salary cap, or is blind in their loyalty to Bradford. I love Sam Bradford, and I believe that with the right pieces around him (good OL, WR's, and TE's) he could be a top-8 QB, but his huge contract seriously affects the salary cap and reduces our chances to bring in talent via free agency, On the other hand, RGIII is modestly paid compared to Sam, and his athleticism and running ability allow him to not rely on having good OL or receivers; he could always escape the pocket when the line breaks down and his scrambling gives his receivers more time to get open. So does this mean that the Rams made the wrong choice? Not necessarily; running QB's tend to have shorter careers than pocket passers, and with RGIII being so small in stature, he's at an even higher risk of getting injured. Also, the Rams received two additional 1st round picks when they traded down with Washington, and a 2nd rounder that eventually became Janoris Jenkins. So you gotta ask yourself: is RGIII and a early 1st rounder better than Sam Bradford, Janoris Jenkis, and two future 1st rounders... I think not. I honestly believe that this is the year that Sam earns his paycheck, and with some better talent around him (either through FA or the draft) I think he's going to put up Pro Bowl numbers. Now if were talking about value, I hate to say it but I'd take Russell Wilson at 520,000 over either one of them, maybe even over anyone in the NFL.
    Could not've said it better myself.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater

Me thinks you'd miss the hell out of me either way.

But for the record, my constant whining and revisionism is every bit as valid as your @$$ kissing.
    Don't kid yourself, no name. Nobody here would miss you for a minute.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not discussing Sam... no matter how hard Negative Nancys like you try to bait me. Though, I must say, you seem to be a master baiter.
    A master baiter you don't say?
    Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Don't kid yourself, no name. Nobody here would miss you for a minute.
    You're right, that first minute would be filled with reflection. And then the missing kicks in.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

"DON'T MAKE ME PULL THIS CAR OVER, YOU TWO!!!"
    lordwhttgr likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bottom line: a healthy RGIII at 20 mil is a better value than a healthy Sam Bradford at 78 million, and anyone who disagrees doesn't watch much football, does'nt understand the salary cap, or is blind in their loyalty to Bradford.
    But that is nothing more than an academic exercise. You can't move from that statement into anything tangible, for all the reasons that Gap mentioned a few posts ago. 1) trading Bradford would have screwed up the salary cap. 2) RG3 would have taken more hits behind this line, and as it is, his own line has him off his feet for the next few months. 3) It's not a matter of Sam or RG3. It's a matter of Sam/Brockers/Jenkins/Pead/Rok/2013-#22/2014-1st rounder or RG3.

It's fine to say the 2012 RG3 at $20 million is a better value than the 2012 Sam at $78 million. But it is not germane to the discussion, and misleading to use it as any comparison to point to what the Rams should have done in the 2012 draft.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

This thread is how you can tell it's the offseason.
    ZiaRam and Vinnie25 like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast