Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

After drafting two WRs, the mantra, spoken on message boards, Twitter, and in articles by draft graders (amateur and professional) is:

Now that Sam Bradford has weapons he has no more excuses.

The implicit message of this statement is that Sam has failed to live up to expectations, that he and/or his supporters have held out "a lack of weapons" to absolve Sam of responsibility for his failings.

In my opinion, this is an unfair dig against Sam.

Sam has not had sufficient weapons. This is not a mere excuse, conjured by Bradford fans. It is an undeniable fact.

Sam now appears to have sufficient weapons, so the expectation should be that his numbers will improve.

If they don't, will Sam's detractors then be warranted in saying that Sam is the problem? Absolutely. If Sam has time to throw to open receivers but simply fails to make the right decisions and the right throws, that's on him.

But give the guy a chance before labeling him as a player who has somehow made "excuses."

Sam has never done so. In fact, he's always been a "stand up" guy.

I, for one, have confidence in him, and truly look forward to making certain commentators eat their words.

Jwalker is offline Registered User

Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

When he has had weapons it's either been short lived (Lloyd) or killed by the injury bug (Alexander and Amendola)

Im a full supporter of Bradford and personally would still take him over any other an in our division. There's a reason he's been one of the highest rated qbs coming out of college in past couple of years. There's still a good amount of untapped potential in there.
    lets just keep this receiver group together and healthy!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I also hate the term excuses has has already proved he is a franchise QB

I think with the off-season it just gives Bradford more options to further his development and in my opinion accession to an elite QB

FestusRam is offline Registered User

If the Oline is relatively healthy and plays even close to their potential, Sam will be expected to perform.

Its not as simple as that, but its as simple as that. Confusing? Kinda, but it really is that simple, because Sam is THAT good when he gets more than 1.5 seconds to throw the ball.

Rambos is offline Registered User

When it comes to the media NFLN, ESPN ect. I always hear them say they think Sam is a really talented QB who has no weapons.

Some fans have expectations that will never be met, being he is a number one overall pick, with a huge contract. But even those fans IMO don't come off as saying Sam is full of excuses. They think the Bradford supporters are though.

I'm here to say he has the weapons and he will light it up!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

No team in the NFL is its own island. By this logic M. Sanchez oughta get a pass because like the Rams prior to this draft had what for weapons? Football is a team sport and there are too many factors to say that so and so should be {X} successeful.

Several seasons ago experts where calling the Eagles the "Dream Team". There is a difference from a paper-tiger from the real thing. And thats the Rams next step--taking whats on paper and turning it into the real deal. Barring a rash of injuries, and Fisher and company can jell the Rams into a team, the Rams ought to be contenders for the NFC West.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Hopefully that Sam will be back as he will have one last year to prove that he can go to being an elite QB!
    Merry Christmas!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    Hopefully that Sam will be back as he will have one last year to prove that he can go to being an elite QB!
    What do you base your "one last year" comment on?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I just hope we can stay as healthy as we did last year! If so, I can't see why Sam can't have a great season.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

It's less likely Sam will regress barring injuries around the team (particularly the O-line). We've already seen that Sam can throw a fine dart when given more than 1.5 seconds to throw the damn ball. And although he's made his fair share of boneheaded throws, compared to the likes of Romo and Cutler (who have better talent around them), he doesn't easily turn the ball over unless the receiver typically lets the ball bounce off their hands.

Randart is offline Registered User

I am a huge 'Sam the Ram' fan... Only a couple things I would hope he grows into more.
    1. He does not look off defenders enough but stares down recievers too much imho.
    2. He does not do enough pump fakes maybe cause he usually does not have enough time.
    Last season for a while our O-Line was really doing a fine job, and I think Sam showed some nice
    improvement in these areas, also a bit more mobility than he used to show. I think he is getting more compfortable every year. I look for a big season from our young team this year and Sam especially. I think he is improving on getting the ball out earlier too. Which I thought he held on way too much early on as a pro!

HAHA, I just thought of something, my dads all time fave QB was Slingin' Sammy Baugh! Anyone ever do the name comparison to our young Sam before? Slingin' Sammy Bee as in Bradford! LOL
    Now that is something for him to live up to trully! Go get em Sammy!!!
    Last edited by Randart; -04-30-2013 at 12:38 AM.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Sigh...

Take that back.

Aarrrrrggghhh!!

I started a thread positing whether or not (from MANAGEMENT's position, which the usual suspects ignored), this was SB's make it or break it year. I stated at the time, it would , IMO, be INSANE for the Rams to release him.

Thank God the showgirl and her lackeys are gone, because he will be our QB for the next ten years.

And the current darlings of the NFL, (and deservedly so - RW, CK, AL and RG, two of whom stepped into great situations) will take a step back next year- mark my words.

Anyone who would trade SB period, let alone for an unknown, ...IDK...just doesn't get it.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I can give a Sh*% about gaudy stats like so many do now a days. Can Sam do it in the clutch? Yes. Can Sam win big games? Yes. Nuff Said
    Rammed and Agrajag like this.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Personally I have never heard Bradford make one excuse! He goes on the fields every week and try to win games, getting beat up more than most. Never once has he made excuses about lack of weapons, leaky o-line etc.... At least not as fare as I know. The excuses are just something the media and fans think he needs.

I think he has allready proven that he can win tight games even with a less than stellar receiving corps and an o-line that very often have been leaky.

I have no doubt in my mind that Bradford is the real deal and that he will win many games for us in the comming year. Has been a long time since the future looks so bright for the Rams as it does now, even with the NFC West mutating into the hardest conference in football.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Where has the time gone where QBs got the time to develop.....

Jury is still out on Luck, RGIII, Wilson they had their 1st season Sam Bradford was Offfensive Rookie so was Cam Newton and what happened in year 2?

All these guys still need to develop overnight succes is rare. Teams need to develop and grow and opposing teams will develop and grow now they have seen you as QB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast