Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

  1. #16
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,650
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    Guys, i caution everyone not to overeact to all these new weapons. They are great, and they give sammy and the rams a lot better chance to be successful. But at the end of the day, if we dont get a lot better play out of the offensive line, we are not going to be a prolific or even a very good offense. We have certainly been short of playmakers, but as i have said many times before, you can't throw from flat on your ass.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel



  2. #17
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,352
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    I've been a supporter of Bradford. It's obvious he's been less than blessed when it comes to talent at the receiver position and the health of his o-line the past couple of years. Sometimes fans react irrationally to losses and I'm as guilty as the next guy. I have also never heard Sam make excuses. He is our QB, I'm GLAD he's our QB and I envision a successful road ahead.

    Where I get exasperated, however is the assumption made by some that being critical of Bradford somehow diminishes one's fandom. There are times when Sam Bradford has been less than stellar despite decent protection and a great featureback playing behind him taking some heat off the passing game. He is not above criticism. He, along with everyone else, needs to be better.

    Then there's the doublespeak employed by some who boast incessantly about the skill guys we take in the draft, then say 'we have no weapons" when defending Bradford's poor play. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

    One thing is very clear: The organization has addressed the dearth of quality wideouts the past two years in the draft. One way or the other, people must and will be accountable. If Givens, Quick, Austin, etc. prove in the next year or two to be dynamic additions to the passing game, we all win and Bradford will shine. If not, people will still be bellyaching about his lack of weapons 6-7 years after he was drafted. And the bloom will come off the roses of Fisher and Snead, who have to get it right.

  3. #18
    Agrajag is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    I can give a Sh*% about gaudy stats like so many do now a days. Can Sam do it in the clutch? Yes. Can Sam win big games? Yes. Nuff Said
    That says it all really. The quarterback is one player on a team and Sam Bradford is doing his job.

    Not every quarterback can carry a whole team on their backs and all too often when they try, they just end up making mistakes and costing games.

    Has Sam ever single handedly lost a game with countless bonehead interceptions and fumbles ala Tony Banks? Heck no, in fact he's pretty much outplayed my expectations for a team that's been garbage on the offensive line and with the receiver corps.

    That's not an excuse, that's a fact. Now I don't care about who has the biggest gaudy numbers, because all too often when you see stuff like that it just points to deficiencies in other areas. But if he can't take advantage of his new weapons, management will for sure look at less expensive options.

    Barring injury, I say there's no way he doesn't play well next year, because I really think this new offense is something that he can utilize efficiently.
    ZiaRam likes this.

  4. #19
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,865
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Where I get exasperated, however is the assumption made by some that being critical of Bradford somehow diminishes one's fandom. There are times when Sam Bradford has been less than stellar despite decent protection and a great featureback playing behind him taking some heat off the passing game. He is not above criticism. He, along with everyone else, needs to be better.
    So what you're saying is... you feel attacked even when nobody is attacking you.

    Nobody said Sam is above criticism. Keep your strawman out of the discussion.

  5. #20
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,865
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Guys, i caution everyone not to overeact to all these new weapons. They are great, and they give sammy and the rams a lot better chance to be successful. But at the end of the day, if we dont get a lot better play out of the offensive line, we are not going to be a prolific or even a very good offense. We have certainly been short of playmakers, but as i have said many times before, you can't throw from flat on your ass.
    Agreed. I have hope, though, because (1) Jake Long should upgrade the pass protection significantly and (2) Paul Boudreau did a good job of improving the OL's peformance last year.

  6. #21
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,409
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Guys, i caution everyone not to overeact to all these new weapons. They are great, and they give sammy and the rams a lot better chance to be successful. But at the end of the day, if we dont get a lot better play out of the offensive line, we are not going to be a prolific or even a very good offense. We have certainly been short of playmakers, but as i have said many times before, you can't throw from flat on your ass.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    I agree 100%

    We are talking on paper as far as all the weapon upgrades go so lets take a quick look on paper what we have done with the O line and why in my IMO we have done enough to make me believe we have one of the best O line in years. Certainly far better then last year.

    Jake Long is a huge upgrade over Rodger Saffold at LT. Rodger Saffold is a huge upgrade over Barry Richardson especially in pass protection. I can't recall the Rams having as good as these two tackles in years. Center, Turner came in and did a nice job for Wells but Wells is a pro bowl caliber center. Wells played very good once he made it back and he still was not 100%

    Fisher said Saturday in his presser and this surprised me that there was going to be competition at both the guard spots.

    Fisher: “Well, on opening day last year, 24 previous players on the roster were out of the NFL and obviously we had some work to do. You fill holes and then you create competition and we’ve got outstanding competition up front on the offensive line, both guard spots. We continue to create competition in other areas.”
    Rok,Jones,Dahl and Williams will battle it out for the guard spots. Last year there was not much too second guess with the new regime BUT I will never understand what the heck they where doing with Ojinnaka as the starting guard, after we CUT him. He was the worst guard I have ever seen play in the NFL by far.

    Source: Jim Thomas, Ojinnaka appeared in nine games for the Colts last season, making three starts. Now cut loose from two of the league's worst offensive lines in back-to-back seasons, Ojinnaka could have trouble finding work.
    He's still out of the NFL.

    On paper this is the best O line Sammy will get to play behind.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-30-2013 at 10:47 AM.

  7. #22
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,352
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So what you're saying is... you feel attacked even when nobody is attacking you.

    Nobody said Sam is above criticism. Keep your strawman out of the discussion.
    Didn't claim I was being attacked. That doesn't change the fact that all i said was true in my eyes. There are many who DO FEEL Sam is above criticism, and that is evident by the blind loyalty shown in numerous posts over the last couple of years. We've reached a point now where the o-line and receiver positions have been addressed multiple years in a row. It's time to put it all together and put some points on the board.

  8. #23
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,865
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Didn't claim I was being attacked. That doesn't change the fact that all i said was true in my eyes. There are many who DO FEEL Sam is above criticism, and that is evident by the blind loyalty shown in numerous posts over the last couple of years. We've reached a point now where the o-line and receiver positions have been addressed multiple years in a row. It's time to put it all together and put some points on the board.
    Once again, you are missing the point.

    You can't treat every Sam Bradford thread as an open invitation to whine about the so-called "blind loyalty" that you perceive. When you do so, that's what we call "derailing a thread."

    The topic here is whether its appropriate to acknowledge the fact that Sam has had sub-par weapons, and simultaneously accuse him of using that fact as a mere "excuse."

    If you want to start a thread about how you feel oppressed by those who supposedly think Sam is above criticism, be my guest. This isn't that thread.

  9. #24
    SWFCRAM's Avatar
    SWFCRAM is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    380
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    [QUOTE=general counsel;462201]Guys, i caution everyone not to overeact to all these new weapons. They are great, and they give sammy and the rams a lot better chance to be successful. But at the end of the day, if we dont get a lot better play out of the offensive line, we are not going to be a prolific or even a very good offense. We have certainly been short of playmakers, but as i have said many times before, you can't throw from flat on your ass.

    Great point. I’m not as worried about the O line though as I am about the "new weapons’. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very excited to see what they bring but we have lost a couple of major players from the offence.
    We are all optimistically expecting Quick to step up but how far realistically is he going to improve? I doubt that he can spring forward to be a 1000 yard wr this year.
    Givens had a very promising first year and we need him to push on and have a big season.
    Pettis? Maybe he can become a more regular contributor as the most experienced receiver currently on the depth chart.
    We don’t know how much trouble our two rookie’s will have adjusting to the NFL - hopefully none but as yet it’s all potential. Historically it’s a long process for many rookie WR’s.
    So to me a huge influence on Sam Bradford’s year will be Jared Cook. If he can step up and become Sam’s favourite target then hopefully the rest falls into place.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that whilst we have put the seeds in the ground, we haven’t seen the flowers yet! This will still be a tough year for Sam and his young, inexperienced receiving corps.

  10. #25
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,530
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    That says it all really. The quarterback is one player on a team and Sam Bradford is doing his job.

    Not every quarterback can carry a whole team on their backs and all too often when they try, they just end up making mistakes and costing games.

    Has Sam ever single handedly lost a game with countless bonehead interceptions and fumbles ala Tony Banks? Heck no, in fact he's pretty much outplayed my expectations for a team that's been garbage on the offensive line and with the receiver corps.

    That's not an excuse, that's a fact. Now I don't care about who has the biggest gaudy numbers, because all too often when you see stuff like that it just points to deficiencies in other areas. But if he can't take advantage of his new weapons, management will for sure look at less expensive options.

    Barring injury, I say there's no way he doesn't play well next year, because I really think this new offense is something that he can utilize efficiently.
    Amen to all of that..

  11. #26
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,689
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: The Sam Bradford "Excuses" Comments

    I firmly agree that Sam has not had enough talent around him, either on the offensive line or at receiver, to really reach his potential as an NFL quarterback. I don't think saying that is an example of someone making an excuse for Sam, but rather stating reality.

    But the days of fans pining for better protection or more weapons on offense appear to be coming to an end. The Rams have made it a priority in the last two offseasons to go out and get some help for Bradford; they brought in this year's best free agent left tackle and tight end, have drafted a receiver in the first through fourth rounds in the last two combined drafts, and have added some quality mid round linemen. Not to mention the benefits from keeping the same OC for a second year running.

    I agree with Av's original post; on paper, the Rams appear to have suffiient weapons and improved protection, so my expectation for Sam is that he takes a big step forward in his journey towards becoming a great NFL QB. And that's what I anticipate happening. If he doesn't, then his critics will be even louder than they have been in the past.
    Rambos and ZiaRam like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: -12-05-2011, 12:31 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: -07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
  3. Replies: 62
    Last Post: -05-07-2010, 05:27 PM
  4. Replies: 48
    Last Post: -02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -11-14-2005, 06:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •