Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sam Bradford Facing High-Stakes '14

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: Sam Bradford Facing High-Stakes '14

The item that jumped out at me in this article was the call to come to play like Warner. When your fans are calling you out like that, your time is short...

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

When you are the number one overall pick, big expectations come with that distinction. We all know how the game is played: The QB gets more credit than he deserves when he wins and shoulders more blame than he deserves when he loses. Whether that's fair or not is irrelevant- that's how it is and always will be. Sam Bradford was drafted with the intention of him being a savior to a losing franchise and the centerpiece of a good team moving forward. The injuries are unfortunate, and last year it derailed a promising start. The obscene salary adds to the impatience and criticism. Until he remains healthy and wins consistently, he'll be taken to task. Rams fans unwilling to acknowledge this need to do so. I'm ready for a winner THIS YEAR, not excuses (the schedule, the personnel, the division) as to why we can't get it done.

Russell Wilson came out of nowhere, and his progress from an undersized and unheralded pro prospect is the reason he receives great attention. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. His statistics are very good considered what is asked of him. And it doesn't hurt that he plays for a team that has become the best team in football. Three short years ago, Seattle was a mediocre team not much better than the Rams. They are now Super Bowl Champions while we continue the climb to respectability and beyond.

It is year five of Sam's career. The days of the Jim Plunketts and the Phil Simms being given 8-9 years to put it all together are over. There is only one thing that will satisfy thousands of Rams fans (me included) and that's a winning team. Until that happens, guys will be criticized- none more so than the QB.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    When you are the number one overall pick, big expectations come with that distinction. We all know how the game is played: The QB gets more credit than he deserves when he wins and shoulders more blame than he deserves when he loses. Whether that's fair or not is irrelevant- that's how it is and always will be. Sam Bradford was drafted with the intention of him being a savior to a losing franchise and the centerpiece of a good team moving forward. The injuries are unfortunate, and last year it derailed a promising start. The obscene salary adds to the impatience and criticism. Until he remains healthy and wins consistently, he'll be taken to task. Rams fans unwilling to acknowledge this need to do so. I'm ready for a winner THIS YEAR, not excuses (the schedule, the personnel, the division) as to why we can't get it done.

Russell Wilson came out of nowhere, and his progress from an undersized and unheralded pro prospect is the reason he receives great attention. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. His statistics are very good considered what is asked of him. And it doesn't hurt that he plays for a team that has become the best team in football. Three short years ago, Seattle was a mediocre team not much better than the Rams. They are now Super Bowl Champions while we continue the climb to respectability and beyond.

It is year five of Sam's career. The days of the Jim Plunketts and the Phil Simms being given 8-9 years to put it all together are over. There is only one thing that will satisfy thousands of Rams fans (me included) and that's a winning team. Until that happens, guys will be criticized- none more so than the QB.
    I look at Bradford situation and it reminds me of Steve Young. Young already was rich from playing in the USFL and then got paid by the Bucs. But he could not turn the Bucs around and made the choice to find an organization that could support him as a player. He went with the niners of course and waited for his chance to play and we all know how that worked out. Sam is in the same situation. When he was drafted the Rams where the worst team in the NFL for years. Before Les and Fisher started to rebuild this team the Rams had won just 15 games in five years oh by the way Sam won seven of those games in his OROY season. That leaves a team that only won eight games in four years.

Sam will be in the drivers seat soon enough, if his play on this team is not good enough to lift the team and the Rams front office wants to move on he will be able to pick the next team and he will have a ton of choices.

Jason La Canfora
    CBS Sports NFL Insider

Several front office executives I spoke with -- guys who aren't in the quarterback market one way or another and wouldn't have a dog in this fight -- believed Bradford could still fetch a strong return. They believed that some of the young GMs picking high in this draft who need quarterbacks might fancy Bradford over possibly swinging and missing on a quarterback high in the first round. They cited Bradford's lingering appeal with offensive coordinators and quarterback coaches, who first fell for him at Oklahoma and still look at him the way they did when he was selected first overall in 2010.

"They love the kid, at least the ones I've talked to about him," one NFL executive said. "He's still a pretty popular figure with them. And everyone knows he's a tremendous kid. If he was available I would expect there to be a lot of coaches in personnel meetings who would think they would be the guy to get him to fulfill his potential."
    A Lot of fans are at the point where they want to win now and no excuses. Its fair to say there are 20-25 other teams in the same boat. Changing coaches and QBs trying to hit on the next Warner or Martz is not the way I want to go. If Sam just can't stay healthy then he will lose his job sooner then later that's the nature of the business. Sam future with the Rams is clearly in Les and Fishers hands. They are all in with Sam, they had a chance to take RG3 and passed and now they have another chance to take a top prospect at 2 and all indications say they are sticking with Sam. The way I see it is, Les and Fisher know Sam is good enough to win and be a playoff QB. They are also betting they can build a winning team before the clock runs out on them as the men in charge.

In short if Sam gets hurt again this year and a young back up steps in and plays well it could spell the end of him as the Rams QB but not the end of his career. If Sam plays well and we fall short of the playoff this year, there is no way the Rams move off of him unless they want a long term commitment and he wants to play out his contract. I wonder if Sam is not thrilled with the lack of support he gets from the fan base in St Louis and would want to make a change.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-26-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    live4ramin and Mikey like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I don't doubt Bradford is currently our best option, and for that reason I do not advocate for change. Plus, this isn't exactly a great QB class of draftees. I just think that there comes a point in time when things have to line up and the guy you're paying a king's ransom to lead your team must pay dividends in the form of a winning season.

Compounding the issue is watching all three NFC West teams improve by leaps and bounds over the past several seasons. SF has been to two NFC Title games and a SB. Seattle won a SB. And Arizona went from terrible to 10 wins in a year. This alone illustrates why fans are impatient with Sam and everyone else. They want a winner. It's been way too long.

I hope we never have to find out if your parallel with Steve Young is a good one.

And anyone who talks of Fisher and/or Snead being shown the door anytime soon needs their head examined. Each has had past success at previous stops, both have improved the Rams as an organization, and barring a complete disaster (3-4 wins) both will be back for the forseeable future.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Anyone who talks of Fisher and/or Snead being shown the door anytime soon needs their head examined. Each has had past success at previous stops, both have improved the Rams as an organization, and barring a complete disaster (3-4 wins) both will be back for the forseeable future.
    Agree with this completely ..

Rambos is offline Registered User

And anyone who talks of Fisher and/or Snead being shown the door anytime soon needs their head examined. Each has had past success at previous stops, both have improved the Rams as an organization, and barring a complete disaster (3-4 wins) both will be back for the forseeable future.
    I agree with that as well. Thats why I don't think Sam is the issue when it comes to the win, loss record in their eyes. If these guys have passed on RG3 and are willing to do it again this year, they are confident that Sam has what it takes. Sure the draft is not stacked with elite QBs or so it seems. But they could have looked at FA and brought in a QB but they didn't. They could have gave up a second for Cousins. Having said that maybe they draft a QB in the second round to cover their bets. If they draft a QB that high then it tells me they may not be totally committed to him next year. If they wait until round three or later, they are going to play him until the end of his contract or he's ready to extend his contract.

I think Fisher knows he can build a defense that is in the top ten maybe in the top five. I have a hard time believing that if Sam was on the Hawks or Whiners he would not at minimum take the team deep in the playoffs.

Again I don't think Sam would have any trouble putting up these numbers on the way to a ring.

Wilson's last seven games...

15 of 25 199 Yds 1 TD 1 INT
    18 of 27 206 Yds 1 TD 1 INT
    11 of 27 108 Yds 1 TD 1 INT
    15 of 23 172 Yds 1 TD 0 INT
    9 of 18 103 Yds 0 TD 0 INT
    16 of 25 215 Yds 1 TD 0 INT
    18 of 25 206 Yds 2 TD 0 INT

Now can we hit on the last of the RG3 picks or pick and build a top 5 defense?
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-28-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    live4ramin likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree with that as well. Thats why I don't think Sam is the issue when it comes to the win, loss record in their eyes. If these guys have passed on RG3 and are willing to do it again this year, they are confident that Sam has what it takes. Sure the draft is not stacked with elite QBs or so it seems. But they could have looked at FA and brought in a QB but they didn't. They could have gave up a second for Cousins. Having said that maybe they draft a QB in the second round to cover their bets. If they draft a QB that high then it tells me they may not be totally committed to him next year. If they wait until round three or later, they are going to play him until the end of his contract or he's ready to extend his contract.
    IMO Sam is ready to break out. I see the very fact that we had a running game develop last year as well as a plethora of top picks at WR from past drafts........Great point on waiting to see where the Ram do draft a QB in upcoming draft. That will tell us plenty about Rams FO and Sam.

Give us a top notch defense, eat some clock on long drives to keep the D fresh and develop a home run ball when needed........ But please sooner then later......
    consistently when neededand we will be quite formidable.

heff is offline Registered User

Pretty entertaining look at the Rams offense.

Will the Rams draft a quarterback to replace Sam Bradford? | SportsonEarth.com : Mike Tanier Article

I'll say in most of this guys' examples, Bradford is under pressure. Not to mention the revolving door at coordinator...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123