throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Sam Bradford hopes to have contract by training camp ..

July 8, 2:01 AM Oklahoma Sooners Examiner

Sam Bradford is stepping aside and letting his agent deal with his NFL contract negotiations. Meanwhile, Bradford is focusing on preparing himself for training camp and helping kids in Oklahoma City at the Gatorade/NFL Beat the Heat campaign.

“That's why I hired an agent,” Bradford told The Oklahoman. “I don't want to deal with any of that stuff. That stuff's all on him. I've done my part to get myself here. Now, it's his job to get me in camp.”

As the number one draft pick, The Rams will pay Bradford a comparable salary to Detroit’s 2009 first round pick Matthew Stafford. The Lions signed Stafford to a six year, maximum $72 million deal. $41.7 million of that guaranteed. The St. Louis Rams, who chose Bradford with the first overall pick this year, had the second overall pick in 2009. They chose offensive tackle Jason Smith and signed him to a six year, $62 million deal.

Expect Bradford to exceed both deals when the negotiations are completed.

“We do have conversations,” Bradford said. “He does a great job of educating me about how the process works — where you start, how you finish, the things that have to happen for a contract to be complete. I do have a little bit of information, but I tell him, ‘Hey, it's on you. You'd better make this work.'”

In 2008, the highest drafted quarterback was Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons. Ryan signed a six year, $72 million deal with $34 million guaranteed. Baltimore grabbed Joe Flacco with the No. 18 pick and paid him $30 million over five years. Both those quarterbacks have already helped turn their franchises around and have made trips to the playoffs.

Bradford’s chance at making that kind of quick turnaround is unlikely at St. Louis, a team with more problems than just finding a starting quarterback. However, Bradford is their franchise quarterback of the future. Paired with running back Steven Jackson, Bradford has a chance to show the Rams something special this year, even if it may not show in the win/loss column.

Bradford enters training camp as the backup quarterback to journeyman A.J. Feeley and will have to work his way into the starting job.

“It would be an injustice to Sam and the rest of the team,” head coach Steve Spagnuolo told stltoday.com. “He’s in the early stages of developing as an NFL quarterback. He came into the league far advanced from some quarterbacks I’ve worked with. We’ll do first what’s right for the team and second what’s right for Sam.”

Bradford says he hopes to be signed by the start of training camp and his agent says he expects no “hiccups” in the negotiations. This is important because if Bradford wants to get into the starting lineup soon, he needs to get to camp as soon as possible.

Remember what happened to JaMarcus Russell after his rookie holdout?

Meanwhile, Sam Bradford returned to Norman Wednesday to promote the Gatorade/NFL Beat the Heat campaign. The initiative is raising awareness about heat-related illness among athletes. The campaign teaches people how to “Prevent,” “Prepare,” “Plan” and properly hydrate to avoid heat-related illness. Bradford is one of a number of NFL players and coaches helping educate young players, parents and coaches about the importance of proper hydration and nutrition.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Sam Bradford hopes to have contract by training camp ..

St. Louis, a team with more problems than just finding a starting quarterback.
    I can think of 1 or 2 intellectual lightweights that would disagree.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bradford says he hopes to be signed by the start of training camp and his agent says he expects no “hiccups” in the negotiations.
    I sure hope this is true. The Rams certainly don't need any distractions or "hiccups". I'll breathe a sigh of relief when it actually happens.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I can think of 1 or 2 intellectual lightweights that would disagree.
    Those rose colored glasses will probably start going on in about a month.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

He better get his contract signed before traning camp starts if he has any hope of starting in game 1 of the regular season.

This is the part of the NFL I dislike the most. Waiting for the soon-to-be-overpaid, never-played-in-the-NFL rookie to get a contract signed.

What frustrates me the most is that I'm sure both sides have a number in mind, and both sides already know approximately what the guy is going to be making, based on previous payouts in previous years, and other signings. So why wait? Why take it to the 12th hour and risk not getting the guy signed? If your number one draft pick, and number one overall, is a QB, he'd better not miss any training camp if you expect him to contribute right away, and I'm guessing they hope he'll contribute right away.

They have three weeks to get it done, so get it done already.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    He better get his contract signed before traning camp starts if he has any hope of starting in game 1 of the regular season.

This is the part of the NFL I dislike the most. Waiting for the soon-to-be-overpaid, never-played-in-the-NFL rookie to get a contract signed.

What frustrates me the most is that I'm sure both sides have a number in mind, and both sides already know approximately what the guy is going to be making, based on previous payouts in previous years, and other signings. So why wait? Why take it to the 12th hour and risk not getting the guy signed? If your number one draft pick, and number one overall, is a QB, he'd better not miss any training camp if you expect him to contribute right away, and I'm guessing they hope he'll contribute right away.

They have three weeks to get it done, so get it done already.
    I'm guessing you do realize that they also have lives they need to attend to. I'm sure they also like breaks. Also realize that Demoff is working on two other contracts in Onobun and Saffold.

Let's not think of it in terms of them sitting by the phone waiting for the other to call, but instead in terms of they might actually be busy

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I'm guessing you do realize that they also have lives they need to attend to. I'm sure they also like breaks. Also realize that Demoff is working on two other contracts in Onobun and Saffold.

Let's not think of it in terms of them sitting by the phone waiting for the other to call, but instead in terms of they might actually be busy

What has "having a life" have to do with sitting down and striking a deal? Like they haven't had enough time since the draft to do so? Give me a break. In reality, the Rams should have signed him before they drafted him. The have made the decision (right or wrong) that he his going to be the "franchise QB", so make a damn deal already.

The NFL needs to establish a rookie cap by position, and they need to do it NOW. Paying these guys the salaries they're demanding is absolute BS.
    (and please, please don't give me the BS about the short lifespan of an NFL player) Oh cry me a freakin river....

As I said, I hate this part of the season and the greed of all involved.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Very true. How are you going to guarantee somebody $50 million dollars before they even played 1 down? C'mon, thats just greed.

Make a rookie salary cap immediately.

Guitardeth Guest

Hello all. New guy here, sooner born and bred!!

Don't worry sam will be ready to go. sam isn't money hungry. maybe his agent is but sam isn't.

Hope sam leads the rams to many SB.