Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Is Sam Bradford the most enigmatic player in the NFL?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Is Sam Bradford the most enigmatic player in the NFL?

I took interest in a throwaway comment Chris Wesseling made about Sam Bradford in an article on NFL.com yesterday regarding Chris Johnson's potential suitors.

You can read that article in full over here, but I've pulled the Bradford quote below.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wesseling

What Johnson is

Judge the game, not the name. Along with Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, Johnson is perhaps the NFL's most enigmatic player. Ever since the magical "CJ2K" season, analysts have been debating why Johnson has failed to live up to expectations.
    Interesting, and to an extent, quite valid. Four years into his NFL career, do the Rams really know what they have in Bradford?

I don't want to turn this into another speculative nonsense thread trashing Sammy B, but I am interested in what you think about what Wesseling had to say. Is Bradford the most enigmatic player in the NFL?
    Randart likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Is Sam Bradford the most enigmatic player in the NFL?

Oh boy, here we go.
    rammiser likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

once bradford gets a good offensive line and some stellar receivers he gonna do some damage.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Oh boy, here we go.
    Did anybody order a can of worms?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Hey, I give you credit for trying to preempt a Slam Sam fest.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    LOL!

Yesterday I posted that Wesseling article in the Draft & FA forum / 'Chris Johnson released - what would you pay?' thread about CJ.

Is Sam Bradford the most enigmatic player in the NFL?-1-1lombriz-.jpg - Clic on image to enlarge -- at your own risk.

I thought that the "most enigmatic player + Sam Bradford" words in the same sentence might indeed result in potential polemic.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-07-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Emoticon
    Randart likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    once bradford gets a good offensive line and some stellar receivers he gonna do some damage.
    If we can take Fisher at his words that he isn't that interested in top prospects at the WR position, might have to wait a bit longer.

Yet for all the OL and WR talent issues, he has faced over the last 4 years he has gone a solid job. What I worry about is that he will become another S.Jax--a talented player who never gets to see a serious run at the post season and a shot at a Super Bowl.

If Fisher thinks he is going to get the Rams to football big dance just on the strength of defense and ground and pound, Bradford likely will not see a Super Bowl. Too many issues to get in the way that makes it unlikely...the strength of the division...injuries...and the very nature of the NFL NFC teams. Lets face it, its just not the NFC, but AFC that is stocking up on defense simply because the rules are too offense friendly and they need to overcome that advantage, and its solid game plan strategy over all--limit the opponents' offensive opportunities and if the opponent isn't flexible and adaptive in the course of a game, it just makes it easier for a defense to prepare
    LA Rammer and Randart like this.

emuen is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Isn't this the case for about 20-25 QB's in the NFL?
    ramsbruce likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    Isn't this the case for about 20-25 QB's in the NFL?
    Just not sure that many have the arm talent Slingin' Sammy has when he is healthy! I think Sam has elite arm skills his head is another matter entirely and he may be a bit shell shocked and for dang good reasons! Already taken a beating in this league because of our lines and backs and even the TE's other than Harkey etc. If Sam can get confident he doesnot have to run for his life he could be special that is what many of us believe and see in him... That is why the enigmatic moniker is bestowed his way so often.
    Just my thoughts mates-
    MauiRam and LA Rammer like this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Rams fans may always be asking that question as would any team that drafts a QB with the #1 overall pick. While I agree with some of the lack of an O'line excuse I don't think it's all everybody else's fault either. This year (year 5) will be the year the enigmatic thing goes away or lives forever in my opinion. If we end up seeing Sam on another team at some point then all of that could be clearer.

kman is offline Registered User

his rookie year was pretty solid for a rookie, he won offensive rookie of year..his 2nd year he was on a n awful team, and was injured ankle all year long..his 3rd year was ok, but had no weapons..last year he was having a solid year until he got hurt..its been a combo of awful teams, no help, and some bad luck with injuries..im not ready to give up on him..but this year will be important for him

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Most enigmatic?

en·ig·mat·ic
    ˌenigˈmatik/
    adjective
    adjective: enigmatic; adjective: enigmatical
    difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious.

No, I don't think Bradford is at all mysterious or difficult to interpret at all. He may not be as great as some hoped or believe he can be, or he may be great but suffered from bad luck/line/& lack of run game.

PEAD has more enigmaticity than SamBrad could ever hope to achieve. (i don't know if that a proper usage of the word, but i thought it sounded cool)

shower beers is offline Registered User

Oh boy...(my gif won't gif!)

I suppose we'll find out this season though. I don't think there will be many more questions after another full season and a contract year on the horizon.
    Last edited by shower beers; -04-07-2014 at 03:13 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sam's not an enigma, its just that the people evaluating him have lost sight of reality.

They see a few QBs have early success (in most cases, due, to a large degree, to the talent around them), and presume that a QB who does not light the world on fire in his first few years is a lost cause.

Of course, it wasn't always that way.

Steve Young didn't become a full time starter until he was in his 30s. Before that, he had a career record as a starter of 15-24.

Jim Plunkett played 7 years for 2 teams without ever having a winning season, before finding his spot on the Raiders, where he ended up winning a Super Bowl.

John Elway, who had some early success in terms of W/L record, didn't crack 80.0 in passer rating until his 5th year in the league.

Sam Bradford is 26 years old. Anyone who presumes that we've seen his "ceiling" is ignoring history, as far as I'm concerned.

There's no enigma here. Only impatience.
    berg8309 likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There's no enigma here. Only impatience.
    Agreed, it seems more and more people want draft picks to be 1st year pro bowlers, or look to move onto the next guy. A bit of an exaggeration perhaps, but it's what it feels like sometimes. QB is a position that takes time to learn. Constant change and poor talent certainly don't make the process any faster.

So is Bradford an enigma? No. He's a player who is (hopefully) still developing, and was showing good signs last year before getting hurt. But the "quick" success of several other QBs has people believing that since he hasn't made a pro bowl yet he may be a bust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast