Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Is Sam Bradford the most enigmatic player in the NFL?

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Is Sam Bradford the most enigmatic player in the NFL?

Notice some pleople have mentioned players like Steve Young? Well I will mention an other, Aaron Rogers. A successful understudy QB that when called upon came in and made the Packers world Champions. Bradford was an understudy for the length of time it took for the ink to dry on his contract.

Lots of 1st year QBs have success, until your division rivals figure you out and why there is a "sophomore" slump. That's when a QB learns he needs to be adaptive and flexible or it becomes a very short and miserable career.

Notice Bradford still is with the Rams? So he must be doing something right. But yes, as a QB, giving Bradford is equipped with quick WRs that can get open, he can get them the ball...if the play calling isn't so (censured) predictable and opposing defenses are not sitting there waiting for it, Bradford will have success. All in all, if Bradford is within the top 10 of QBs, and the Rams have a top 5 defense, your looking at real shots at the playoffs.

Question: which part of the Rams team/game is really ready to contend and what part is just pretend? Very simple question actually--but I suspect the answered are hard to riddle out, and solving the pretend side even harder to fix

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Sam's not an enigma, its just that the people evaluating him have lost sight of reality.

They see a few QBs have early success (in most cases, due, to a large degree, to the talent around them), and presume that a QB who does not light the world on fire in his first few years is a lost cause.

Of course, it wasn't always that way.

Steve Young didn't become a full time starter until he was in his 30s. Before that, he had a career record as a starter of 15-24.

Jim Plunkett played 7 years for 2 teams without ever having a winning season, before finding his spot on the Raiders, where he ended up winning a Super Bowl.

John Elway, who had some early success in terms of W/L record, didn't crack 80.0 in passer rating until his 5th year in the league.

Sam Bradford is 26 years old. Anyone who presumes that we've seen his "ceiling" is ignoring history, as far as I'm concerned.

There's no enigma here. Only impatience.
    Don't forget Aaron Rodgers who warmed the bench his first 3 years.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    once bradford 1) gets a good offensive line and some 2) stellar receivers he gonna do some damage.
    1)Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo always post great numbers yet have sub par olines.

2) if this topic is the can of worms, then our receivers are the dirt they live in.
    Yes-- we do need a great receiver, we have none-- and Im thinking this regime will again pass (pun intended) on 1 of the 2 good receivers this draft has.

Romo, card carrying member of the $100M QB Club, tend to choke in the really big games, but so does P. Manning. Imagine had the Bears in the Colts Super Bowl had someone better the Rex Grossmen and who put more points on the board forcing Manning to a pressure situation in the biggest game of them all--does he get his ring? Maybe, but I am betting not.

It seems that just some QBs implode when the rubber meets the road in the biggest games. Perhaps its karma, or the football gods don't like them. Romo has real flashes of brilliance as a QB but just can't seem to seal the deal and now that the Cowboys chickens are coming home to roost with their salary cap issues, its not likely we will see Romo in a Super Bowl

If the Rams seriously pass on an elite prospect WR this year, I don't know how Fisher keeps his job. Its a simple matter that its easier for opponents to scheme against the Rams. And I think Fisher might be asking too much of his defense to keep the Rams in games. Right now its all I can see for the future is ball control and management with a tough defense to hope creat opportunities, but its a 16week season and any serious rash of injuries on the defensive side of the ball just means another subpar season

Truth is offline Registered User

Sam's not an enigma, its just that the people evaluating him have lost sight of reality.

They see a few QBs have early success (in most cases, due, to a large degree, to the talent around them), and presume that a QB who does not light the world on fire in his first few years is a lost cause.

Of course, it wasn't always that way.

Steve Young didn't become a full time starter until he was in his 30s. Before that, he had a career record as a starter of 15-24.

Jim Plunkett played 7 years for 2 teams without ever having a winning season, before finding his spot on the Raiders, where he ended up winning a Super Bowl.

John Elway, who had some early success in terms of W/L record, didn't crack 80.0 in passer rating until his 5th year in the league.

Sam Bradford is 26 years old. Anyone who presumes that we've seen his "ceiling" is ignoring history, as far as I'm concerned.

There's no enigma here. Only impatience.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this. However, Young, Plunkett, and Elway were basically pre-Free Agency players. It's easy to be patient when there's no clock ticking. It's not just a clock ticking for Sam. Teams can have significant change annually now. Add salary caps to the mix, and you have good reason for some impatience. I haven't given up on Sam yet. But with FA glaring us in the face, how much will he be worth for us to re-sign? Do we give him another $50 mil guaranteed ( $78 mil contract)? If I had to answer that today, I'd say no way. 4 years into his career and we're still talking about his potential, and trying to defend deficincies. Although we have him under contract for 2 more years (2014, 2015). I really hope 2014 brings Sam an injury free, breakout season. If not, I forsee lots of arguments lighting up this board.
    Last edited by Truth; -04-09-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    1)Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo always post great numbers yet have sub par olines.

2) if this topic is the can of worms, then our receivers are the dirt they live in.
    Yes-- we do need a great receiver, we have none-- and Im thinking this regime will again pass (pun intended) on 1 of the 2 good receivers this draft has.
    As others have noted, both Romo and Rodgers had years of training before they became starters. Another point is that they had solid to excellent teams around them; both teams even had very solid run games & respectable sacks given up numbers, at least in their debut years. There have certainly been years when both GB and DAL have had OL problems but nothing compared to the flops/injuries that Bradford has had to contend with.
    Btw, AR had top flight experienced WRs, who knew the system and the league, from the start but neither were first round draft picks. Driver was a 7th rounder,iirc, and Jennings was a second. Terrell Owens was on the Cowturds when the butt-fumbler made his starting debut. TO was a 3rd. So....yes, you need quality WRs but they don't have to be taken in the top ten. You need good evaluation, good coaching, a stable system, AND a good OL, and reasonable run game, some good fortune to be in a division with teams who are not at their best, either. The Rams' NFCW opponents are all in the top 5 or so of the league in defense.I don't think that was true of GB and Dal over the same first few years of their QBs. Pretty sure Bradford hasn't enjoyed any of that yet for an extended period.
    I don't think there's anything enigmatic about Bradford; his team has sucked and he has been injured. Some like to call all this stuff excuses; most of us just call it seeing the whole reality of a team sport.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -04-10-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    MACD likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Facts

Sam was drafted number one in 2010
    Sam makes quite a bit of money
    Sam has not led the Rams to winning record
    Sam has not finished the season in 3 of last 5 years

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Facts

Sam was drafted number one in 2010
    Sam makes quite a bit of money
    Sam has not led the Rams to winning record
    You forgot...

Sam Bradford backwards is drofdarB maS.
    live4ramin and macrammer like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with this. However, Young, Plunkett, and Elway were basically pre-Free Agency players. It's easy to be patient when there's no clock ticking. It's not just a clock ticking for Sam. Teams can have significant change annually now. Add salary caps to the mix, and you have good reason for some impatience. I haven't given up on Sam yet. But with FA glaring us in the face, how much will he be worth for us to re-sign? Do we give him another $50 mil guaranteed ( $78 mil contract)? If I had to answer that today, I'd say no way. 4 years into his career and we're still talking about his potential, and trying to defend deficincies. Although we have him under contract for 2 more years (2014, 2015). I really hope 2014 brings Sam an injury free, breakout season. If not, I forsee lots of arguments lighting up this board.

I agree. Although I'm in general agreement with most of AV's post, in a "win-now" league, the days of giving a guy 7-8 years before you see the fruits of his labor are over. And asking fans to "be patient" for that length of time is unrealistic. With the constant movement of players, free agency plus the injury factor, it's a different deal now. A QB must adapt and produce. One cannot possibly expect unconditional support for a guy unless he starts winning. Sam appeared poised for a possible breakout year and got hurt. Unfortunate, but it has to come together very soon or there will be no defending him, be it for reasons within or beyond his control.

Although I don't have an alternate word in mind, "enigmatic" is not the word I would use to describe the play of Sam Bradford. But obviously this year is a huge year in many ways for both Sam and the Rams. Can he finally break out? Can he stay healthy? Can we take that next step, or will we still be using words like "hope" "potential" and "patience" for the next 3-5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Facts

Sam was drafted number one in 2010 True & who else was in that QB draft class & where are they now
    Sam makes quite a bit of money Number one picks back then always got top dollar especially as a QB
    Sam has not led the Rams to winning record And Sam has had what to work with
    see prior comment

By and large its an accurate description of Bradford's stint with the Rams, but no mention the {*} to complete the story. Lets add in how many coaches and GMs the Rams have had in those 4 years. Lets count up the play makers he has add. When he came into the league, we all knew it was going to be a rough start...questionable consistent OL protecting him throughout all 4 years...several coaching schemes in those same 4 years...etc.... Should be glad he still is alive and breathing considering the break downs on the OL that lead to those injuries; should also be glade he has a brain to learn all those play books.

Last season, and yes I still am harping on poor play calling, but how was TA and Cook used? Ideally with both on the field Bradford should have had a quick safety valve to beat blitzes or outs for pressure coming at him.

But despite all these setbacks, and other handicaps he still managed to put up respectable numbers
    Randart likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

You forgot...

Sam Bradford backwards is drofdarB maS.
    facts are friendly

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    If Sam can get confident he does not have to run for his life, he could be special that is what many of us believe and see in him... That is why the enigmatic moniker is bestowed his way so often. Just my thoughts mates-
    Clearly Fish and Schotty are aware of this. One of the best ways for Sam to regain his confidence is a successful running game. If we canít run on opposing defenses with consistency, it will force Sam into 3rd and long - putting everything on his shoulders yet again.

I believe we will have a good chance of improving our running game this year. Stacy may not be a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball, but his vision is special. Give him a crease, and he will get 4,5, or7 yards over and over. Sam will take that all the day long .. When opposing defenses are forced to play us more honestly, I believe Sam will thrive. I also am hoping that Samís time on the sidelines watching Kellen run the offense will have helped him tremendously. If and when we draft either Matthews or Robinson, I hope ESPN will have a camera on Sam Bradfordís face. That would be priceless to watch.

Is Peyton Manning enigmatic? 43 - 8? OUCH! One of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play the game was humbled in front of millions of fans. Peyton was looking shell shocked well before the final gun.

Iíll answer my own question: No Peyton is not enigmatic in the same sense we are asking the question. After all, football is a team sport. The Broncos got thoroughly whipped as a TEAM - period.

In response to the question: Is Sam the most enigmatic player in the NFL, I would venture the Rams as a team have arguably been amongst the most enigmatic if not the most. A couple of years ago, we beat the Seahawks once, tied and then subsequently beat the Super Bowl bound Whiners, along with whipping the Cardinals twice. Yet we were beaten at home by the Jets, and wiped out in England by the Patsies. Go figure .. Sam is part and parcel of an enigmatic team. This year we will be more experienced, yet probably even younger. Given all the circumstances this team has endured in the last 5 years alone, we really ought not to be surprised if the word enigmatic can be accurately applied to our team as a whole. My two cents anyway ..

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Oh yes.

Bradford is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, without question.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

You guys are wearing me down. Let's go get the receiver then and we'll have the tools, or at least the next plug in can be the rookie quarterback.

What must the brain trust be going through?
    "The horror"

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RosieJones View Post

Bradford is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, without question.
    Talk about a dilemma! ...For some anyway, not you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast