Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Sam Bradford to play at least one half

Sam Bradford to play at least one half
    Associated Press
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010

ST. LOUIS -- Sam Bradford has the St. Louis Rams' starting quarterback job this week. Now he's got to produce.

The top pick of the draft gets his first pro start in place of veteran A.J. Feeley, sidelined with a sprained right thumb, but with no guarantees beyond Thursday night's game at New England. Coach Steve Spagnuolo said after practice Tuesday that he expected Bradford to play at least the first half, and maybe more depending on how much time the Rams have the ball.

"I know the spotlight's on Sam right now and everybody's anxious to see him in there with the first group with Steven Jackson in the backfield," Spagnuolo said to reporters after practice. "I'm just as anxious as you guys are."

Bradford has struggled thus far, going 12 for 27 for 81 yards and no touchdowns. Playing in hard rain in the last preseason game at Cleveland, he passed for only 24 yards.

He's still adjusting to being under center and has bobbled a number of snaps. Spagnuolo characterized his play thus far as "up and down."

"Obviously, I want to come out and have a strong showing," Bradford said. "I want to show the guys on this team that I can play. I think this is a great learning opportunity for me and this offense, but most of all I really want to come out and help this offense win a football game."

Spagnuolo gave the starting job to Feeley entering camp and could restore him for the preseason finale, giving no guarantees beyond that to Bradford beyond saying he'll start the player who gives a team that went 1-15 last year its best chance to win. Feeley missed both practices of a short work week, but anticipated he'd be able to grip the football soon.

"Every time they go out there, they're being evaluated," Spagnuolo said. "We'll see at the end of it."

Still, nobody expects the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner and the player the Rams signed to a six-year, $78 million contract to be a backup for long.

It'll be Bradford's first start since last October when his bid for a second straight Heisman Trophy ended with a shoulder injury against Texas.

"My expectations are extremely high," he said. "Obviously, I want to come out and perform at an extremely high level. I don't know what the fans should expect."

Spagnuolo said earlier in the week that having Jackson in the backfield for the first time would be a "comfort" to Bradford. The Rams are searching for a backup behind the bruising two-time Pro Bowl player, with reserves totaling 70 yards on 42 carries.

"Somebody has to surface there," Spagnuolo said. "In the knock on wood event that we need a running back, we've got to have somebody ready to go."

Jackson played only the first series in a 19-27 victory at Cleveland and Spagnuolo said he'd probably play a little bit more.

"It's going to be a big game for all of us, not just Sam," Jackson said. "It's a good measuring stick in the New England Patriots to see where we're at as a team, how far we have come.

"It's a great test for him to see where he's at and give him some good material to study over the next two weeks."

Jackson didn't play on saying much to Bradford before the game.

"I'm not a motivational speaker," Jackson said. "Just go out there and play hard and stay within himself and execute the things that he's working on."

Spagnuolo wants from Bradford what he got last week from Feeley, who was 5 for 6 for 45 yards and threw a touchdown pass several plays after injuring his thumb when he banged it against the helmet of a blitzing defender.

"Start out fast, start out strong, move the team," Spagnuolo said. "That would be nice."

Backup offensive tackle Phil Trautwein was carted off during practice with a right knee injury after a teammate fell on it and was scheduled for an MRI exam. The Rams waived linebacker Dominic Douglas (hamstring) with an injury settlement.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford to play at least one half

I guess this will be his first real test..

general counsel is offline Registered User

I just hope that people don't overeact in any particular direction to whatever they see. The most likely scenario is that there will be good, bad and ugly components to his performance. He is a rookie and like all rookies, he is highly likely to struggle at times.

The bottom line on bradford is lets hope that we can protect him. A running game sure would help so that he is not in 3rd and long time and time again.

Bradford is a terrific young qb prospect. He is not the messiah.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

thoey is offline Registered User

Not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, but was anyone less than excited about the following from our team leader:

Jackson didn't play on saying much to Bradford before the game.

"I'm not a motivational speaker," Jackson said. "Just go out there and play hard and stay within himself and execute the things that he's working on."
    Seems like he could have something to say to pump the rookie up a bit. Not like SJ has been at a loss for words in the past. Maybe he learned something from the type of comments made before, but a little encouragement could be useful at this point in time.
    This space for rent...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, but was anyone less than excited about the following from our team leader:

Seems like he could have something to say to pump the rookie up a bit. Not like SJ has been at a loss for words in the past. Maybe he learned something from the type of comments made before, but a little encouragement could be useful at this point in time.
    And he was encouraging him. He was saying if you just go out there and do your thing, you will be fine. That's all Bradford needs to hear.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I just hope that people don't overeact in any particular direction to whatever they see. The most likely scenario is that there will be good, bad and ugly components to his performance. He is a rookie and like all rookies, he is highly likely to struggle at times.

The bottom line on bradford is lets hope that we can protect him. A running game sure would help so that he is not in 3rd and long time and time again.

Bradford is a terrific young qb prospect. He is not the messiah.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Disagree, SAM is being paid "Messiah" type money, he must play the role and act accordingly. The whole NFL world is already making snap judgements on Bradfords lackluster first two preseason performances. Highlights on ESPN only show Sam Bradford as the second coming of Marc Bulger. Now that really SUX!!! Thursday's game against the Pats will show the tale tell signs to see if Bradford is ready to lead the Rams. A TD or two would do alot if only to take the pressure off our $50 mil QB. More of the nation will be watching this game for the fact that its only one of two games scheduled that night, the Patriots have a big following and its Bradfords first start.
    Of all the 4 preseason scheduled games for each team, the 3rd preseason game is the one thats played more like a regular season game. In the 4th preseason game usually all starters take a seat, so this game against the Pats will be SAMs biggest test yet.
    THIS IS Steven Jacksons TEAM, look what he did for Feeley on that first drive, last week against the Browns, with not only good carries but outstanding blocking. Can't wait to see if SJAX can do the same for SAM.
    In order for the Rams to return to the days of the 'Greatest Show on Turf', "Great Expectations" must be set upon Sam Bradford. "Heaven Can't Wait", SAM...DO DA DAMN THING,NOW!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Disagree, SAM is being paid "Messiah" type money, he must play the role and act accordingly.
    He was paid market value for the #1 overall pick. You may not like the market, but it's just the way it is for now. But if you really think that "heaping great expectations" upon Bradford simply because he is making a salary commensurate with the top draft pick will somehow bring about a "messiah" like performance, you are setting yourself up for a fall.

He's a rookie. He will play like a rookie. Like it or not.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Keenum is offline Registered User

All I know is the Rams better change up their playcalling from the past few weeks for Bradford and let us actually get a good look at what he can do. One series or one full game, if they go as ultra-conservative as they have been, we won't be able to get a good look!
    Hopefully having Jackson in there will encourage the coaches to let Bradford open it up, at least some.

ramfan56 is offline Registered User

ESPN is full of Ram haters.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Disagree, SAM is being paid "Messiah" type money, he must play the role and act accordingly. The whole NFL world is already making snap judgements on Bradfords lackluster first two preseason performances. Highlights on ESPN only show Sam Bradford as the second coming of Marc Bulger. Now that really SUX!!! Thursday's game against the Pats will show the tale tell signs to see if Bradford is ready to lead the Rams. A TD or two would do alot if only to take the pressure off our $50 mil QB. More of the nation will be watching this game for the fact that its only one of two games scheduled that night, the Patriots have a big following and its Bradfords first start.
    Of all the 4 preseason scheduled games for each team, the 3rd preseason game is the one thats played more like a regular season game. In the 4th preseason game usually all starters take a seat, so this game against the Pats will be SAMs biggest test yet.
    THIS IS Steven Jacksons TEAM, look what he did for Feeley on that first drive, last week against the Browns, with not only good carries but outstanding blocking. Can't wait to see if SJAX can do the same for SAM.
    In order for the Rams to return to the days of the 'Greatest Show on Turf', "Great Expectations" must be set upon Sam Bradford. "Heaven Can't Wait", SAM...DO DA DAMN THING,NOW!!!
    I COMPLETELY AGREE, dgr828. Seems like everyone around here is making a bunch of excuses for his play. LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING GUYS. its as simple as this: I want to see Bradford score a TD or two in this game for things to start looking good, preferably opening drive. If we do not score a touchdown in this game, and/or if Bradford does not impress, something has to be done IMMEDIATELY. I cannot fathom why he a guy getting the label "50 million dollar man" isnt producing better results. I will be closely watching his performance and how well he plays, and he better play well for things to be well this season. There is no more time for excuses; it starts now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rNem
    If we do not score a touchdown in this game, and/or if Bradford does not impress, something has to be done IMMEDIATELY.
    Such as?

If Bradford does not meet your arbitrary standard, what do you suggest they do?
    I cannot fathom why he a guy getting the label "50 million dollar man" isnt producing better results.
    Well, I may be way out on a limb here, but I'll go with....he's a rookie.

What you deem an excuse, is actually a contributing factor. Like it or not, he's a rookie and will play as such.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Such as?

If Bradford does not meet your arbitrary standard, what do you suggest they do? Well, I may be way out on a limb here, but I'll go with....he's a rookie. What you deem an excuse, is actually a contributing factor. Like it or not, he's a rookie and will play as such.
    PUT someone else in or adjust the guaranteed money! i really dont know what they would do, TBH. If you ask most analysts and commentators, what else will they tell you ? That he needs to produce right? See this is what I'm talking about. We never want to look at reality and just come up with reasons why "X" or "Y" isnt playing well or making smart decisions, when someone we want to play well doesnt. When in actuality the guy just doesnt have it or is not as good as advertised. I know the receivers suck but at least he needs to get the ball to them.

I dont know what they will do, but it will just seem like this franchise has tough luck getting the most out of the players they draft and who people say they should draft.

And last time I checked, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco did not really struggle as a rookie. I know he will make rookie mistakes but all in all THE GUY NEEDS TO PRODUCE TOUCHDOWNS. We didn't bring him here for anything else but that, SO NO EXCUSES. I am just tired of it, Hubie. Come on now dont you agree? Dont you feel like we always do it? Look at Chris Long. Everyone is waiting on him to "break out" and have a monster double digit sack season. Well, like I was saying, is that it is NOT going to happen because "he is just not that type of player" He cannot be a Osi Umenyiora or a Bruce SMith, he will be a Grant Wistrom.
    Last edited by rNemesis; -08-25-2010 at 05:45 PM.

PUT someone else in
    Who? Null? Lewis?
    adjust the guaranteed money
    Can't. That's why it's called guaranteed.
    i really dont know what they would do, TBH
    Sure you do; they're going to stick with Bradford.
    We never want to look at reality
    You mean realities like him being a rookie?
    When in actuality the guy just doesnt have it or is not as good as advertised.
    You've reached this conclusion after roughly 3 preseason quarters, 2 of which were played in blowing rain?
    And last time I checked, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco did not really struggle as a rookie.
    After his first two preseason games, Matt Ryan was 17 for 31 with 175 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int., 2 fumbles. Joe Flacco was 10 for 18 with 74 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints., 2 fumbles. Sam Bradford is 12 for 27 with 81 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints., 1 fumble. Can we really say there's any difference at all at this point?
    I am just tired of it, Hubie.
    If by "it", you mean losing........yes, we're all tired of "it". I get the frustration, rNem, I honestly do.

This is exactly why I started a thread a couple of weeks ago that people should not freak out when Bradford plays like a rookie. Rome was not built in a day.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Damn, I think I just lost a bet, only two preseason games and the sky is already falling...

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Damn, I think I just lost a bet, only two preseason games and the sky is already falling...
    LOL....Seriously...I don't see how a fan can be anything but excited to see Sam work with both the projected starting OL AND SJ for the first time. Whether he struggles or scintillates is just another step in the process.

I think this game will be a much more meaningful yardstick to judge where The Rams defense is at,anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast