Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Is Sam Bradford the Rams' Alex Smith?

aram is offline Registered User

Is Sam Bradford the Rams' Alex Smith?

With all of the discussion about why the shift of the *****ers from Smith to Kap, it reminded me of Bradford. #1 QB draft choice, serviceable and solid but lacks the electric playmaking ability to keep plays alive. Is as good as the team around him. Both have high 70's passing ratings (77 and 79), not horrible but not outstanding. It will be an interesting contrast this Sunday.

Of course people will yell that it's too early to tell - and of course it is - but at least worth thinking about as the Rams head into the draft.

(formerly Ramhard)

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Re: Is Sam Bradford the Rams' Alex Smith?

While there are definitely similarities between then two I think they are completely different players. Yes, they both have had as many offensive coordinators as their first three seasons in the league. Yes, they are both first round picks who have not lived up to their draft slots. However, I believe there are some key differences.

Alex Smith had not thrown for over 3,000 yards until his sixth season in the league and he barely eclipsed that total. Bradford eclipsed that total his first season, would have done it his second season if it wasn't for the injury, and is on pace to do it this season as well. While that stat doesn't say a whole lot, it does tell me that Bradford has the ability to accumulate yards. Secondly, Bradford is already a way more accurate passer than Smith. While Smith has been good his last two seasons, his first 5 years were not as good as Bradford's. Once again, this stat doesn't paint the whole picture, but it does contribute to my first point about amassing 3,000 yards. If you are more accurate you complete more passes and therefore you accumulate more yards. Another similarity but yet a difference as well is talent surrounding these two QBs. Neither Bradford nor Smith has had the advantage of having a true #1 receiver. Sure, Smith has had Vernon Davis and Bradford Amendola. Neither of these guys amount to a receiver like an A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson. With that being said, Bradford has seemed to make the most out of his less that stellar situation.

My final analysis is this; both of these players have some things in common. These similarities are their offensive coordinator situation, lack of receiving talent, and high draft positions. However, I feel their differences extend far beyond that. You give both of these guys stability in play calling, an elite receiver, and protection and I think they are both better than their career numbers suggest. However, I believe you give each of these guys the same exact situation and Bradford will put up better numbers than Alex Smith. That is just my thinking though.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

They're exactly alike... If Alex Smith had any talent.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by aram View Post
    With all of the discussion about why the shift of the *****ers from Smith to Kap, it reminded me of Bradford. #1 QB draft choice, serviceable and solid but lacks the electric playmaking ability to keep plays alive. Is as good as the team around him. Both have high 70's passing ratings (77 and 79), not horrible but not outstanding. It will be an interesting contrast this Sunday.

Of course people will yell that it's too early to tell - and of course it is - but at least worth thinking about as the Rams head into the draft.

(formerly Ramhard)
    When you talk about "electric playmaking ability", do you mean that Kaepernick can run and Smith can't? Because Bradford is a better athlete then many give him credit for.

And there isn't much you can do to keep the play alive when you have players rush through on you untouched, which seems to happen to Bradford way more than any other QB

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Very simple one word answer. NO

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Through first 3 seasons (or, in Sam's case, 2 and 2/3 seasons):

Alex Smith
    435-800 (54.4%), 4,679 yards, 19 TDs, 31 interceptions, 63.5 passer rating

Sam Bradford
    755-1,296 (58.3%), 8,123 yards, 38 TDs, 30 interceptions, 77.0 passer rating

So... to quote laram0... NO.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-30-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    lordwhttgr likes this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

We've been through these "Bradford compares" threads.

Is Sam a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning? Don't know yet. He just might be a pocket passer that requires a secure pocket, like Troy Aikman. Fine, I'll take that. But he needs protection and targets. Is he worth his contract? No. Is that his fault? No, it was the stupid system by which compensation was handled when he was drafted. Will he be a good QB? Yes. Will he be a HOF QB? Don't know yet.
    Semper Fi!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by aram View Post
    It will be an interesting contrast this Sunday.
    How do you figure? Bradford will be playing and Smith will be sitting on the bench.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

While I agree that it is still too early to determine if Brads is another Smith or if he'll be better in the long run, it is very noticeable to me that Harbaugh made the change to a play maker like Kaepernick over a game manager like Smith, even though Smitty is healthy and ready to play.

I agree with tomahawk that Sam is more athletic than many give him credit for but my complaint is that he doesn't utilize these skills anywhere near enough throughout the games. He needs to develop this part of his game and learn to extend plays while avoiding the rush. IMO this will help him to progress from a game manager type of QB to a potential play maker.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I agree with tomahawk that Sam is more athletic than many give him credit for but my complaint is that he doesn't utilize these skills anywhere near enough throughout the games. He needs to develop this part of his game and learn to extend plays while avoiding the rush. IMO this will help him to progress from a game manager type of QB to a potential play maker.
    I disagree. We don't need Sam to "make plays" with his feet, we need him to have time to "make plays" with his arm.
    ramsanddodgers and lordwhttgr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I disagree. We don't need Sam to "make plays" with his feet, we need him to have time to "make plays" with his arm.
    Actually we need both. While I agree that it is best if Sam is making plays with his arm he would be able to make more plays if he would use his feet and move in the pocket to buy more time.

No one is advocating that he become a runner a la Newton, Vick or others...but the better QBs do move around better that Brads and although they are pocket passers primarily they use their mobility to augment their passing skills.

Sam needs to add this to his game to get to the next level.

WHAT SAY YE?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Actually we need both. While I agree that it is best if Sam is making plays with his arm he would be able to make more plays if he would use his feet and move in the pocket to buy more time.

No one is advocating that he become a runner a la Newton, Vick or others...but the better QBs do move around better that Brads and although they are pocket passers primarily they use their mobility to augment their passing skills.

Sam needs to add this to his game to get to the next level.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Better QB's like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning and Drew Brees to name a few are more mobile than Sam? I think not. Sorry

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Agreed....we do need Sam to make plays with his arm...sometmies that will require a more robust pocket presence....

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Agreed....we do need Sam to make plays with his arm...sometmies that will require a more robust pocket presence....
    Or less of a presence of robust defensive linement in the pocket.
    laram0 and ramsanddodgers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Better QB's like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning and Drew Brees to name a few are more mobile than Sam? I think not. Sorry
    Actually, yes they are. The ones you just mentioned may not have the athletic skills of a Bradford but they still manage to move in and out of the pocket all the while keeping their eyes down field in search of an open receiver.

No doubt Sam could beat all these guys in the 40 yd dash, high jump, broad jump, bench press and probably a game of pickup basketball; but all of this is to no avail if he doesn't learn how to use these abilities to better himself as a quarterback.

Having superior athletic skills is of no advantage if not used properly on the gridiron.

WHAT SAY YE?
    laram0 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast