• 2 Post By MACD
  • 2 Post By mde8352gorams

Thread: Sam Bradford: Tough Recovery Ahead

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Sam Bradford: Tough Recovery Ahead

Sam Bradford: Tough recovery ahead

Updated: October 30, 2013, 7:57 PM ET
    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A little more than two weeks after suffering a torn ACL in his left knee, St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford is set to have surgery, he said Wednesday.

After waiting more than a week so that swelling could go down and he could strengthen the knee, Bradford said he will have his ACL repaired Tuesday.

Dr. James Andrews, the same doctor who repaired Bradford's shoulder when the QB was at Oklahoma in 2009, will perform the surgery. According to Bradford, he has yet to visit with Andrews, but the noted surgeon has already reviewed the MRI of the knee and will consult with Bradford the day before the operation.

Bradford is already bracing himself for his road to recovery, especially the tough part of regaining range of motion and flexibility. He's also spent time talking to teammates who have had similar injuries.

"I'm not expecting it to be easy," Bradford said. "I know it's going to be tough, but I'm going to do everything I can to get better every day. The best thing to do is just take it day by day and try to get better every day and in the end, when I'm ready to go, I'll be ready to go."

Bradford was quick to shoot down any attempts at setting a timetable for his recovery. He said he hadn't even thought about the possibility of returning in time for at least some of the spring activities like OTAs or minicamps.

The good news for Bradford is that the injury is only to the ACL and he has a clean tear, which he acknowledged could help expedite the process.

"Everything else is intact," Bradford said. "They said everything looks really good. With that injury sometimes other things happen."

Bradford suffered the injury on Oct. 20 against Carolina when safety Mike Mitchell shoved him as he was going out of bounds. He believes his left foot appeared to get stuck in the ground and the rest of his body kept moving forward, causing the tear. Bradford said he has watched the play since and didn't see anything wrong with what Mitchell did.

Likewise, Bradford said he hoped that when Mitchell celebrated on the sideline he didn't know that Bradford was hurt but that he appreciated guard Harvey Dahl for sticking up for him after the play.

"It happened in the field of play, and I wasn't out of bounds," Bradford said. "It's not like he came over and tried to kill me, either. I think it was a clean play."

As Bradford embarks on his recovery process, he has no intention of being anywhere but around his teammates. He surprised many by attending practices last week and has been a regular in meetings since the injury. He's also served as a sounding board for fellow quarterbacks Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis and Brady Quinn.

"That's just Sam," coach Jeff Fisher said. "Nothing was said to him at all about coming around, and he just loves it. He wants to support the offense and help Kellen and Brady and Austin. He's done a tremendous job. He was voted captain, and clearly that's not the reason he's here. He's here because he wants to help."

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford: Tough Recovery Ahead

While I appreciate that Sam Bradford is pro active in being in team meetings and on the sidelines during the games, but I think he should concentrate fully on recovery.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    ...I think [SB] should concentrate fully on recovery.
    Oh, I'm sure that Sammy as well as the Rams are carefully and very seriously focusing on a successful recovery. Our QB is a profound, long term investment, whether from a team / offense perspective as well as the business aspect.

I liked what Gruden said during the game vs Seachicks: "St. Louis desperately needs Sam Bradford".

All the best to our boy Bradford for such a recovery.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

LOVED seeing Sammy on the sideline against the Seahawks helping the other offensive players out. Proper franchise QB and I don't care what anyone says.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    While I appreciate that Sam Bradford is pro active in being in team meetings and on the sidelines during the games, but I think he should concentrate fully on recovery.
    What? No sponge baths by hot nurses, either ?! Killjoy......lol...

Seriously, though; I think staying involved with the team as much as is sensible will be an essential part of his recovery. Eyes on the prize & all that.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As Bradford embarks on his recovery process, he has no intention of being anywhere but around his teammates. He surprised many by attending practices last week and has been a regular in meetings since the injury. He's also served as a sounding board for fellow quarterbacks Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis and Brady Quinn.

"That's just Sam," coach Jeff Fisher said. "Nothing was said to him at all about coming around, and he just loves it. He wants to support the offense and help Kellen and Brady and Austin. He's done a tremendous job. He was voted captain, and clearly that's not the reason he's here. He's here because he wants to help."
    And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how a franchise player carries himself while not on the field.
    Rambos, r8rh8rmike, laram0 and 2 others like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Sam won't be there the rest of the way. He signed a deal to film a commercial about his come back and also will be doing a reality TV show. Joking of course we all know he does not have the IT factor to create that kind of distraction.
    HUbison and THOLTFAN81 like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk247 View Post
    LOVED seeing Sammy on the sideline against the Seahawks helping the other offensive players out. Proper franchise QB...
    Yes, it was great seeing SB as part of the team that way.

Sam support and presence on the sideline is important for the offense and for himself.

MACD is offline Registered User

Classy response on the appropriateness of Mitchell's hit.
    thoey and mde8352gorams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

So it appears Sam was able to navigate healthcare.gov. Hopefully Dr. James Andrews is an in-network participant for Sam's selected plan. Do we think he went bronze or platinum or something in-between? Needed a little levity here! Get well soon Sam.

Go Rams!
    Rambos and bruce4life like this.