Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Sam Bradford: The Truth

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford: The Truth

We've beaten this topic to death. This board seems to have many who think the guy is terrible (which is laughable), but also has numerous apologists who are always looking to justify bad QB play. Today was an excellent example of why simply looking at statistics (which on paper are great) is not an adequate barometer of a guy's performance. Let me be the latest one to add my two cents in the hopes of lending some needed perspective to the argument.

If Sam Bradford can be summed up in one paragraph, it's this: He mirrors the inconsistency that characterizes the rest of this football team. Today was a perfect example of seeing both the good Bradford and the bad Bradford in the same game. He fumbled a snap which led to a score. He threw a pick 6. He overthrew an open Givens in the 2nd quarter for a sure TD. This is simply too much self-inflicted damage for a team to overcome. He also threw three TDs, involved many different receivers and led a spirited, if unsuccessful comeback. Like I said- INCONSISTENT. To become an upper echelon QB, he must eliminate his propensity for the critical error while building on the strengths that got him to where he is today.

I think anyone thinking or hoping Bradford is someday going to be on a par with Brady, Manning, Brees, Roethlisberger or Rodgers needs to recalibrate their expectations. If getting a guy like that were easy, EVERY team would have one. This is certainly not to say Sam Bradford cannot be a winner in this league or become a top 10 QB.

I said early this season that we will be able to more accurately assess Bradford as a QB at the end of NEXT season- when he has hopefully had a 2nd injury-free year under the same O-Coordinator and Head Coach. I have not wavered from that opinion.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-16-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    mh-i, Trevor, bradwill and 1 others like this.

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford: The Truth

I agree with your assessment, as well as your timeline. While it's frustrating to watch, we need to get one more season of play to truely assess what we do or do not have.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I find it funny how a team puts up 36 points and everyone starts pointing at the opposing QB.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    I find it funny how a team puts up 36 points and everyone starts pointing at the opposing QB.
    Not trying to bash, but 14 of those might not of happened if not for Bradford's fumble and pick 6.

JFMose is offline Registered User

wow it was all good just a week ago. I'm still rooting for Sam
    jackson3909 likes this.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

The Rams: The Truth

They arent a very good team and any mistakes by the QB are magnified.

Andy Dalton on Thursday night completed 13/27 passes for 127 yards and 1 TD. And his team won 34-13. Thats what happens when you are on a good team. The Vikings Christain Ponder. A similar pathetic game. And his team wins comfortably.

Bradford cannot afford to make mistakes on a very, very mediocre Rams team. Does anyone watch "elite" QBs play? They overthrow receivers. They throw pick 6s. But with a very average, young, and mistake prone Rams team any mistake by Bradford will be probed. If not for the drop and false start on the final drive he'd probably have 4 TD passes and 400 yards passing.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The truth about Sam Bradford is that he's regularly forced to operate in an uncomfortable environment. Today was no exception.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The truth about Sam Bradford is that he's regularly forced to operate in an uncomfortable environment. Today was no exception.
    Mike, I agree, but, for most, isn't that the nature of the position?
    Rambunctious likes this.

citr92 is online now Registered User

wells had a bad snap, it's not entirely on bradford, but the pick 6 was confusing, did he really not see griffin?

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Sam Bradford: The Truth

I agree the verdict is still out on Sam . The rams need to let Sam build a repoir with his offense and have more than 1 year with an offensive coordinator.

My key for the rams is keeping SJ39. He is critical to helping Sam with leadership , pass protection , etc.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Mike, I agree, but, for most, isn't that the nature of the position?
    To some extent, but IMO, Bradford has more than his fair share of forces working against him week in, week out. He rarely gets consistent protection, consistent receiver play, a consistent running game, or consistent situations to get into a rhythm. He gets the snot knocked out of him most weeks as well.

Does he need to be more consistent himself and take advantage of the situations he's given? Yes, but that's a tall order when those around you don't do what they are supposed to do on a consistent basis.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -12-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I fail to see how anyone can claim to know what Sam's ceiling is given his undeniable lack of tools on offense and consistency in offensive system.
    jackson3909 likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Sam needs help around his offense but at the same time, he needs to make the right throws and avoid the crucial turnovers. I'm still supporting Sam as our future QB but at this point, I won't back him up for any boneheaded mistakes he'll make in future games, which some of them were on him. He needs to learn how to play well in the first to third quarter.

One things for sure is that we'll need to pickup linemen that'll keep him comfortable in the pocket. The Chance Warmack pick is looking pretty tender right now (unless the Saints decide to reach for him )

swatter555 is offline Registered User

C'mon guys, he was under a blistering pass rush.

To me, the Rams are a good but young and inconsistent team. No need to overly beat ourselves up.
    Rambunctious likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    To some extent, but IMO, Bradford has more than his fair share of forces working against him week in, week out. He rarely gets consistent protection, consistent receiver play, a consistent running game, or consistent situations to get into a rhythm. He gets the snot knocked out of him most weeks as well.

Does he need to be more consistent himself and take advantage of the situations he's given? Yes, but that's a tall order when those around you don't do what they are supposed to do on a consistent basis.
    Interesting. More than his fair share? Which for the sake of argument; would that mean more than most other QB's? I don't know, you might be correct. I watch other games and it seems to me it's about even with the exceptions of brady and p. manning. I don't know. Sometimes his accuracy is way off, so in that respect I agree with the OP about him not being consistent.

Anyways, another losing season. Next year.....right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast