Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford Wins AP Offensive Rookie of the Year!

Rams Quarterback Sam Bradford Top Offensive Rookie

By BARRY WILNER AP Pro Football Writer

Top draft choice, top rookie.

St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford won The Associated Press 2010 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award on Friday.

The first overall selection in last year's draft, Bradford guided the Rams from the embarrassment of a 1-15 record to a 7-9 mark. In the weak NFC West, that was good enough to contend for the division title; St. Louis lost out on a tiebreaker to Seattle.

"I think the more I'm out there, the more comfortable I become," Bradford said. "It's been like that all year. There's been some ups, there's been some downs, but I feel like for the most part I've learned from my mistakes each week. I think the game's stating to slow down a little bit, but I really still have a long way to go before I'm as comfortable as I want to be."

The voters certainly were comfortable with Bradford's passing and leadership.

He earned 44 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the league. Only two other rookies received votes: Tampa Bay wide receiver Mike Williams earned four, and Pittsburgh center Maurkice Pouncey had two.
    Well, I can't say I'm surprised, but it's still nice, right?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford Wins AP Offensive Rookie of the Year!

An award that actually matters because it isn't based on the judgement of the masses.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Congrats to Sam!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford voted top offensive rookie
    BARRY WILNER,AP Pro Football Writer [url=http://www.STLtoday.com]

DALLAS - Top draft choice, top rookie.

St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford won The Associated Press 2010 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award on Friday.

The first overall selection in last year's draft, Bradford guided the Rams from the embarrassment of a 1-15 record to a 7-9 mark. In the weak NFC West, that was good enough to contend for the division title; St. Louis lost out on a tiebreaker to Seattle.

"I think the more I'm out there, the more comfortable I become," Bradford said. "It's been like that all year. There's been some ups, there's been some downs, but I feel like for the most part I've learned from my mistakes each week. I think the game's stating to slow down a little bit, but I really still have a long way to go before I'm as comfortable as I want to be."

The voters certainly were comfortable with Bradford's passing and leadership.

He earned 44 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the league. Only two other rookies received votes: Tampa Bay wide receiver Mike Williams earned four, and Pittsburgh center Maurkice Pouncey had two.

Bradford is the fourth quarterback since 2004 to win the award. Before that, no quarterbacks had won it.

"If you asked me before the season, I probably wouldn't have said that we would have thrown the ball as much," Bradford said. "As a quarterback, you love to throw the football. So the fact that our coaching staff feels comfortable with the ball in my hands just gives me confidence. It makes me feel very good about going out there on Sundays."

Health was one of the major questions about Bradford when he came out of college.

He won the 2008 Heisman Trophy as a redshirt sophomore, when the Sooners lost to Florida for the national championship, then decided to stay at Oklahoma another season. It was cut short by an early shoulder injury and he barely played in 2009. Still, Bradford so impressed pro scouts in postseason workouts that he was a consensus No. 1 pick.

The questions about his durability remained, and he answered them by taking every snap this season. He threw 590 passes, completing 60 percent for 18 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

"I take a lot in that, especially coming off the shoulder injury last year and knowing that there were a lot of questions about my durability, about my ability to take hits in this league," Bradford said. "So the fact that I've been able to take every snap with this offense, I do take a lot of pride in that."

Bradford became the starter in training camp and never looked over that shoulder. Coach Steve Spagnuolo and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur placed their faith in him, and he came through like, well, a rookie of the year.

It didn't begin well - Bradford threw three interceptions and was sacked twice in a 17-13 loss to Arizona. But he began to hit his stride in midseason, at one point going four straight games and five of six without being picked off.

His best performances came in a 36-33 win over Denver, when he had three TD passes and a season-best 308 yards through the air, and in a 20-10 win over Carolina that featured 25-of-32 passing and two touchdowns.

"He's obviously extremely talented, and I think he works his ***** off to make sure that he does the right things and masters the game plan," said Shurmur, now the head coach in Cleveland. "So to say I would be surprised, I would say no.

"To be thankful that he is what he is, I would say yes."

Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger was the first quarterback to win Offensive Rookie of the Year, in 2004, followed by Tennessee's Vince Young in 2006 and Atlanta's Matt Ryan in 2008.

Williams, a fourth-round pick (101 overall) from Syracuse, had 65 catches for 964 yards and 11 touchdowns this season. Pouncey, the rare offensive lineman to collect votes, was a standout in helping the Steelers win the AFC North title.

Voting for the 2010 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year selected by The Associated Press in balloting by a nationwide panel of the media:
    Last edited by eldfan; -02-04-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    :ramlogo:

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Hey, this is great for Sam. I saw that all the other rookie awards went to Suh when voted on by the public. Suh had a great year for a DT but Bradford should have won all the rookie awards(besides defensive) because of the team turn around and he made the Rams believe they can win again!! What was the Lions record?!?! Suh was good but no where near the impact that Bradford had this year. Whatever, I guess I am just B***hin' for a second, Congrats to Sam!!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2oo2 View Post
    Hey, this is great for Sam. I saw that all the other rookie awards went to Suh when voted on by the public. Suh had a great year for a DT but Bradford should have won all the rookie awards(besides defensive) because of the team turn around and he made the Rams believe they can win again!! What was the Lions record?!?! Suh was good but no where near the impact that Bradford had this year. Whatever, I guess I am just B***hin' for a second, Congrats to Sam!!
    Not to be a downer, but the Rams were 7-9 and the Lions were 6-10. The Lions were missing there #1 QB basically all season at one point playing with a 3rd stringer.

Other than that, congrats to Sam. This comes as no surprise.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Look at it this way with extreme optimism.

Last year we entered the offseason with nothing positive about our offense besides SJAX. The D wasn't lookin so hot either.

This year we go into the offseason with two young solid tackles, a solid receiving core when healthy, an NFL bonified OC and an Offensive Rookie of the Year. Not to mention a brilliant defensive mind in Spags with a few cornerstones on defense.

More importantly, that ROY is our Quarterback, arguably the most important position in ALL of sports. We've got a very good looking QB for years and years to come.

Only one years difference and the futures lookin very bright my friends!

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Look at it this way with extreme optimism.

Last year we entered the offseason with nothing positive about our offense besides SJAX. The D wasn't lookin so hot either.

This year we go into the offseason with two young solid tackles, a solid receiving core when healthy, an NFL bonified OC and an Offensive Rookie of the Year. Not to mention a brilliant defensive mind in Spags with a few cornerstones on defense.

More importantly, that ROY is our Quarterback, arguably the most important position in ALL of sports. We've got a very good looking QB for years and years to come.

Only one years difference and the futures lookin very bright my friends!
    It's amazing what good management and the right guys in the right positions can do, isn't it?

Keenum is offline Registered User

Very well deserved, congrats Sam!

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Congrats Sam Bradford! Very well deserved award!

ram3057 is offline Registered User

This is great !!! The RAMS can only get better with time
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Trevor is offline Registered User

Yay! Now his next challenge is to get league MVP.

RAMS134 is offline Registered User

Congrats Sam Bradford!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

'calling clark kent!'

Sam Bradford Wins AP Offensive Rookie of the Year!-sam-bradford-axe-lounge-late-night-super-bowl-chitoohdp9rl.jpg

congratulations, sam!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sjacksonrules is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    'calling clark kent!'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam+Bradford+AXE+Lounge+Late+Night+Super+Bowl+chItOOhdp9Rl.jpg 
Views:	8314 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	2422

congratulations, sam!
    He wears a actual superman costume under that I hear. Super Sam!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast