Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sam Bradford's development.?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford's development.?

After Sam Bradford's stellar rookie campaign, and with all the attributes he shown last year, in the WCO? I think the majority of us fan's, just took it for granted, that Bradford would take that next step, and be that true franchise QB, without to many problems? When in reality, it was a massive oversight.? To go from the QB friendly WCO, to one of the most complicated offensive system's in the whole league, with the lockout as well. It was simply too much, too soon for Bradford.? Its not been a total waste though, as Sam has gained valuable experience this year, and now should have a much better perspective, of what playing QB in the NFL is all about.? In most cases, QB's take their lumps in their rookie year, but not Bradford.? Last season, a huge emphasis was put in, to make sure this young team protected their $80 million investment, whilst his shoulder strengthened. The WCO was a great fit for Bradford,
    I think it fit with his game, and his mentality.?
    The McD offense is another story. Bradford isnt as comfortable as YET, which is to be expected. I think the poise he had in the WCO, it just isnt their with the new offense.
    He looked very flustered to me in the first four games, waiting for the deeper routes to break. The big difference is in the amount of pressure that Bradford is under, compared to last year, its night and day. Then their is all the new responsibilities he has taken on this year, which only makes it harder still. I think his head has nearly exploded a few times out there this season. For Bradford to play well, he is the type of QB who needs to get in a rhythm. Getting the rhythm going in Mcd's O, Bradford really needs to develop his game, his accuracy on the long and intermediate passes just hasnt been as consistent as advertised. Its still very good though at times. I think Bradford needs to change up the way he delivers the ball sometimes, using a bit more touch, instead of flat out slinging it every down.? Bradford's release and ball trajectory is too low for the intermediate passes he throws as well. It seems like every week someone has a near interception at the line of scrimmage or the ball gets batted up in the air, close to the LOS. When the better pass, would have been to arc a slower ball to the WR, either over or away from the defender.?

The main areas Bradford needs to work on in my opinion are: in no particular order:

1. Vision down field (latching onto primary receiver too much.)
    2. Going through his progressions (Not looking people off at all.)
    3. Pump fakes or lack of.
    4. Better pocket presence (under duress)
    5. Accuracy issues on long ball
    6. Lack of variation on throws.

Ill be very interested to see, how others feel about Bradford.?
    bruce4life and Fettmaster like this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: Sam Bradford's development.?

Good post. B-ford really does need work with his delivery, the amount of tipped passes he has is just inexcusable given his frame. And sometimes the way he stares a receiver down for the entire duration of a play is just maddening. He'll be all right, but he needs a QB coach next year, something Spags whiffed on this season.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I think it's very hard to evaluate as a whole right now. It is his second year, but he also entered the season with a new and more complicated offense, combined with the lockout. I really think this year is a huge development year for him and all that we can really put on last year's success is that we know he can play against an NFL defense, and play well.

I think he will continue to improve on the areas of work you mentioned. His accuracy on the long ball is one we have seen recently, and Sam admits he should have had those throws. The other very noticeable thing to be is all the passes batted at the line of scrimmage. Yes, you would think a slower/higher pass would help, but often times the WRs are just BARELY open so he has to try to bullet it in there so the defender can't get it. Also, I think some of it could be (not sure on this, just a theory) the O-line is not getting as physical as needed for the passing protection. I know for the basics of pass blocking, you can "wait" for the guy to come to you and then hold your ground, but you can also attack the defender and keep them from getting their hands up. Then again, the pass protection has been pretty good, so it could just be the system. I would love if somebody could look more in to this; I would but rarely get any games here.
    RealRam likes this.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

His development has been stunted because of a lack of playmakers and injuries.

Almendola going down early hurt him.

And think about it. You guys are getting all excited about Mark Clayton coming back. Mark Clayton couldnt make the Ravens team, and probably couldnt make most NFL teams. Yet you guys are excited about him? That shows how bad the receiving core is.

Spagnuolo has focused on defense too much in the draft and free agency and Bradford has suffered as a result.

You dont spend 50 million on a QB and expect him to be a game manager of a defensive team. You take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round for that. If your going to take a #1 overall QB and spend 50 million on him you have to do everything you can to surround him with weapons

Spagnuolo has not and as a result he will be gone maybe even before the end of the season.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

He definitely needs to improve on his pocket presence. Often times it seems like he notices the pressure way too late and gets "trapped" and just folds.

He needs to work on stepping up into the pocket after he drops back. His footwork needs improving, even before his ankle injury.

He needs to work on getting better consistent accuracy. We saw him place the ball very well last year, I have yet to see that consistently this year.

He needs to get his arm strength back. Last year in the beginning of the season, he was lasering balls so fast you could barely see them. He's slowed down a bit.

Needs to work on looking at the deep routes unfold. Often he will check it down way too early or rely on the short routes, instead of letting things develop. Sometimes it is the o-line's fault, but Bradford has some room to improve too.

He needs to look off his receivers. One of the reasons why his balls are tipped or jumped.

He'll definitely be a solid QB, but the next couple of years will be crucial to his development. We need to treat this thing right. I don't want to waste his talents.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Shophmore slump

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

This is what the article says about Bradford and what Bradford has said as posted by nick wagner.

“We have struggled at times,” Bradford said. “We have struggled in the red zone. We have struggled on third down. I am definitely a little frustrated about that and I realize that it needs to be better.”
    The change in offensive schemes is something that plenty of teams have gone through but rare is the team going through as drastic a change in offensive philosophy as the one Bradford made from a year ago in then coordinator Pat Shurmur’s offense to this one.

The old system favored a lot of three step drops and getting the ball out quick. McDaniels is more aggressive getting the ball down the field which requires more patience in waiting for wideouts to come open as well as requiring better and longer protection from the offensive line.

This is one of the reasons Bradford has been taking some deadly shots and struggling with our offense. The whole reason bradford could be having trouble seeing people open could be due to the fact of our rookie receivers; and not having amendola, lloyd, and clayton at the beginning of the season. Working on timing with a receiving core that has constantly been changing all year, takes practice and you need receivers in place for consistent games before you gel.

We seriously need to cut Bradford some slack IMHO.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -11-16-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    live4ramin likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Bradford is not the same QB he was last year. He stares down receivers, has no consistent touch nor accuracy for deeply thrown balls. It could and can be a combination of things. But to tie it to the new offense, in November does not align for me. This guy has played on big stage for sometime now (Oklahoma and Rams) and after 4 preseason games and now 8 regular season games, the time to show progress and maturation as an NFL QB is here.
    RockinRam likes this.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

At this level your only as good as the people around you

Danny Amendola caught 85 passes last year. He's gone

Mark Clayton was the deep threat last year. He's gone

Danario Alexander was shaping up to be a big play threat for Bradford. He was key in Bradford's 300 yard passing games this year. He's gone too.

It's been musical chairs at receiver, the rams have played a tough schedule, Bradford is banged up, its a new offense, etc etc. Of course he will struggle.

This does not mean I dont see the flaws in Bradford's game, he is staring down receivers. The accuracy issues seem to be timing issues with all the new receivers he has to work with. I remember him throwing some very nice deep passes to Mark Clayton last year.
    live4ramin likes this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I have to agree. Accuracy isn't something you have that then goes away for no reason.

I'm not terribly worried, it's the classic qb sophomore slump, with some extra crap thrown on top for good measure.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I have to agree. Accuracy isn't something you have that then goes away for no reason.

I'm not terribly worried, it's the classic qb sophomore slump, with some extra crap thrown on top for good measure.
    Not trying to start a feud here, but yes QBs can lose accuracy. Little adjustments here and there, some sloppy footwork, body not throwing correctly because of being hit too much or being less confident, etc.

I can also agree on the timing issue.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Good post. B-ford really does need work with his delivery, the amount of tipped passes he has is just inexcusable given his frame. And sometimes the way he stares a receiver down for the entire duration of a play is just maddening. He'll be all right, but he needs a QB coach next year, something Spags whiffed on this season.
    No doubt SB needs to refine his technique, from basics ... to the McDaniels movement. Sammy has got the raw talent but it must be developed; he currently seems to be in / under hindrance. Why? That is the challenge, find out why and fix it. He doesn't seem to be able to unwind comfortably, consistently (all things considered, OL, WRs).

I do, however, like your "he'll be alright" statement very much. Other promising QBs have taken two to three years to gel, settle in, succeed. ...Sure, there have also been some promising QBs that simply flopped and failed big time after those two, three years. But I trust that our boy 'B' will indeed be fine, at least to honestly make an impact towards helping this team WIN.

According to NWagoner,
    "Nobody has higher expectations for Rams QB Sam Bradford than Bradford himself. Now, he's looking to do everything possible to meet them." -- Rams official website, Nov. 16.
    There's some work ahead for sure. Sammy, coaches, OC, etc., have got to forge improvement.

PS: Not saying Bradford "will become a Bradshaw" but I remember this great Steeler QB was at times exasperating during his first couple of years, a time of trial and error through which he was often criticized by his HC, by a fair amount of fans and, of course, by the media.

Last edited by RealRam; -11-17-2011 at 02:45 AM. Reason: PS, image.
    live4ramin likes this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I think he has the tools to be an elite QB he just needs to work on some things.I also do agree that the lockout didnt help when he went from WCO to the most complex offense in the NFL arguably.And not to mention he has no weps and he lost his saftey valve in Danny in week 1 so that hurt.We need to give him another playmaker across BL that is a legtiamte wideout.With a full offseason and hopefully Justin Blackmon next year we will see Sam build on his rookie season watch cut him some slack he had alot on his plate this year.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    I think he has the tools to be an elite QB he just needs to work on some things.I also do agree that the lockout didnt help when he went from WCO to the most complex offense in the NFL arguably.And not to mention he has no weps and he lost his saftey valve in Danny in week 1 so that hurt.We need to give him another playmaker across BL that is a legtiamte wideout.With a full offseason and hopefully Justin Blackmon next year we will see Sam build on his rookie season watch cut him some slack he had alot on his plate this year.
    couldn't have said it any better myself.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I'm giving Bradford a pass, but the coaches are in my crosshairs. If they let this boy become adle-brained trash to be tossed aside......Well, then I might consider going over to the Chefs.

Manoman. Hard times.
    "The horror"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast