Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sam Bradford's development.?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Sam Bradford's development.?

I’ll start with a couple of opinions (actually the whole thing is opinion, but I digress)...

One, Sam Bradford has the tools to be an elite quarterback. He displays outstanding accuracy, is incredibly intelligent, good size, underrated mobility, good enough arm strength, etc. There’s a reason he was picked first overall and had as much success as he did in college. He can certainly develop into a franchise quarterback, given the right situation and the right circumstances.

Two, Sam Bradford’s rookie season is overrated by fans. He played in a high-percentage dink and dunk offense that largely protected him from many of the things that can become a roadblock for rookie quarterbacks. The records he set were mostly due to how much the Rams asked him to throw the ball a lot, which is fine but hardly the thing of legends.

This year, Bradford has a lot working against him. He lacks real difference makers at receiver or tight end. He does not have the kind of protection he had last year, primarily because he’s being asked to take deeper drops which is forcing his blockers to protect longer, which they’ve demonstrated inconsistency in doing. The receiver in which he’s most comfortable is on I.R. He did not have a full offseason to be immersed in a complex offense.

However, Sam is displaying habits that are concerning for a young quarterback, though none of which are impossible to correct.

He does not see the field particularly well. Too often, he will dump the ball off to a check down target rather than find the open receiver down field. His ball placement and timing needs to be improved as well. This was a tremendous plus for him coming out of college, but it’s not yet translated to the pro game. Having receivers dive, fall, or stretch for passes that they could have caught in stride, or simply being late with throws, can hinder a team’s ability to extend drives.

He displays a tendency of locking on to and staring down a receiver. Sometimes this doesn’t cost him, but other times it does. I suspect this plays a role in the number of tipped passes he has. In the Cleveland game, Scott Fujita was able to tip and intercept Sam’s pass because he never took his eyes off the right side of the field, telegraphing the direction of his pass. When you fail to look off the defenders and fail to bite them with a pump fake, your balls are going to get tipped.

Sam is not doing a particularly good job protecting the football, especially recently. While he only has four interceptions on the season, three of them have come in the last three games, and all three were primarily his fault. He threw an awful end zone fade in the Green Bay game that was intercepted (he’s not been good with these throws at all this season), he underthrew a deep route to Brandon Lloyd in the Cardinals game that was intercepted, and I’ve already touched on the Cleveland pick.

The good thing is, all of these issues are correctable. Some will likely correct themselves as Sam is better protected and gets more time with the weapons at his disposable (which hopefully will include more dangerous weapons in 2012). Sam is a smart guy with a lot of talent for this game. I really think he was hurt by not having a full offseason to work with his teammates and Josh McDaniels. I do agree with those who believe this coaching staff needs to be on the hot seat, but a part of me fears for what a new coordinator and new offense will mean for Bradford’s development. Ultimately though, if the Rams support him and surround him with the right pieces, and if Sam improves on these qualities to restore some of the amazing skills we saw from his as a prospect coming out of college, I think Sam can be very successful in this league.

sadhappy is offline Registered User

Do you guys think perhaps McDaniels suffers from Mike Martz disease? By that I mean he wants to run a system that features an agressive downfield passing attack, but he really doesn't have the players to make it work and he's getting his quarterback killed as a result.

From an outsider's perspective it seems he could really help bradford out by simplifying things and trying to customize the playbook to take into account what he has to work with.

Btw, I don't think there's anything wrong with bradford, I just think mcd is getting him killed out there and it's hurting his poise and decision-making.

-s

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sadhappy View Post
    Do you guys think perhaps McDaniels suffers from Mike Martz disease? By that I mean he wants to run a system that features an agressive downfield passing attack, but he really doesn't have the players to make it work and he's getting his quarterback killed as a result.

From an outsider's perspective it seems he could really help bradford out by simplifying things and trying to customize the playbook to take into account what he has to work with.

Btw, I don't think there's anything wrong with bradford, I just think mcd is getting him killed out there and it's hurting his poise and decision-making.

-s
    To me, I think one of the problems is that McDaniels doesn't really know what he has to work with. It sounds sloppy, but it seems like our players are not utilized correctly.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    To me, I think one of the problems is that McDaniels doesn't really know what he has to work with. It sounds sloppy, but it seems like our players are not utilized correctly.
    What weapons? Other than Lloyd and Jackson he doesn't have crap.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

The people demand more rollouts to get him throwing on the run ... He killed that last season

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    The people demand more rollouts to get him throwing on the run ... He killed that last season
    Coming into the year, I expected Bradford to be a bit more elusive in the pocket, when under duress.? Its probably the area of his game Im most disappointed in.? He is not a bad athlete, and I honestly thought he would be able to extend more plays with his legs, than he has shown.?
    For the most part this season, Bradford has folded like a deckchair, at the first sign of pressure. He has been like a " dear in the headlights" at times, this worries me to be honest.? Its not a quality, that is very easy to learn.? The better QB's do not share these traits.
    Bradford's TD throw to Gibson in week 3 v Baltimore, was the kind of play I envisioned Sam making a lot more this season.? So its not like he cant do it. Its been a rude awakening this season for Bradford, but these lessons now, will be invaluable to Bradford going forward.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -11-18-2011 at 12:45 PM.

snackdaddy is offline Registered User

There are plenty of good QB's out there who had good rookie seasons and suffered sophomore slumps, only to come back in year 3 with their best season. Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan come to mind. Ben Roethlisberger did well in his first two year, had slump in year 3 and came back with his best season in year 4. There is hope for Bradford. If we delve further into these QB's play, I'll bet they had some playmakers to make things easier for them. We get some playmakers and better protection, I can see Bradford having his breakout season next year. Of course, that is if he doesn't get beat down continually and end up with battered QB syndrome ala Marc Bulger.

snackdaddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sadhappy View Post

-s
    For an outsider, you have a good perspective on this. I agree with everything you said.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Sam is not doing a particularly good job protecting the football, especially recently. While he only has four interceptions on the season, three of them have come in the last three games, and all three were primarily his fault.
    I agree with everything you said, just wanted to add a note. Sam has been playing hurt in the last three games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12