Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Sam was turning the corner before the injury.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sam was turning the corner before the injury.

In the past, many who defended Sam posed the following hypothetical...

"If Sam had better receivers, was sacked less, and continuity in the system, his numbers would improve significantly."

This year, for seven games, Sam was working with a group of receivers who, though raw and not at their career peak yet, are better than the group he's worked with in the past. His O line, though far from perfect, provided better protection than he's had in the past. And, finally, though many of us don't like the Schottenheimer system, Sam had the benefit of continuity from last year.

The result: his numbers sigificantly improved.

Other issues arose in the early going... most notably the absence of a running game. However, in the past three weeks, the emergence of Zac Stacy as a viable starting RB improved that situation.

The result: here are his numbers from the last three weeks:

80 attempts
    52 completions
    65.0 completion %
    594 yards
    7.4 yards per attempt
    7 touchdowns
    1 interception
    111.1 passer rating

These numbers reveal the reason why Sam's injury is truly a shame.

He was turning the corner.

Now, the progress is somewhat derailed. While the receivers will continue to gain valuable experience, it won't be with Sam. Instead, they'll have to come together again next year during a time when Sam might not be 100% healthy, and he'll have a bit of rust.

The Rams will deal with those issues when the time comes. However, when you look at his numbers from this year, and particularly at his last three games, its not difficult to see why the Rams have given him a vote of confidence for next year.
    RealRam, Varg6, Jonze and 3 others like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Sam was turning the corner before the injury.

You're absolutely right. Sam deserves some criticism from time to time and may never be Brady, Peyton or Rodgers, but he is a good QB who was getting better. The numbers bear that out and anyone who watched the Rams this year (minus the SF game) saw that. It is both unfortunate and unfair that he will not finish the season- that's life in the NFL.

I sincerely hope he's back and better than ever in 2014 because one, I think he's the best man for the job, and two, I do not wish to start over yet again with a guy we'll have to groom for the job.
    RealRam, thoey, Varg6 and 3 others like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Since 2008, @NFL team w/ starting QB w/ higher pass rating wins 80% of time. Team that commits fewer TOs wins 79% of time.

That's a Gil Brandt twitter posting today. Found it interesting and then saw that Sam's QB rating the last 3 games was 111 in this thread.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

I'd still pick Bradford as my starting QB over the vast majority of the other starting QB's out there right now.

And, I still trust Fisher and Snead will make the proper evaluation of the QB situation and make the right call when the time comes in 2014.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

bluntly, no, he wasn't turning any corner. He's been on the same boring horizontal line the entire time and now he has to fight to get back to even be that.

his stats aren't that bad but they don't prove anything any better was coming either.

...so...who's been to the Rams camp ?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM29JACKSON View Post
    bluntly, no, he wasn't turning any corner. He's been on the same boring horizontal line the entire time and now he has to fight to get back to even be that.

his stats aren't that bad but they don't prove anything any better was coming either.
    What facts do you have to support that opinion?

Or, put more bluntly, what facts do you have that override the facts that I provided?

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    You're absolutely right. Sam deserves some criticism from time to time and may never be Brady, Peyton or Rodgers, but he is a good QB who was getting better. The numbers bear that out and anyone who watched the Rams this year (minus the SF game) saw that. It is both unfortunate and unfair that he will not finish the season- that's life in the NFL.

I sincerely hope he's back and better than ever in 2014 because one, I think he's the best man for the job, and two, I do not wish to start over yet again with a guy we'll have to groom for the job.
    Agreed. I thought Bradford was playing, for the most part, lights out in the Panthers game. Penalties, drops, and other variables deterred from his performance. In other words, it was one of those times where the scoreboard did not indicate how well, specifically, Sam played.

Regardless, I refuse to have Kellen Clemens as our lone backup. Next year's draft has plenty of QB talent, taking one in the third, fourth, and lower, to me, is reasonable and quite frankly a major depth concern. I want a promising rookie to watch Sam play (hopefully), take notes, and become a student of the game on the sidelines. If for whatever reason that rookie in his second year (maybe even his rookie year) needs to play from bad play or injury, at least we'll have someone who had a full training camp, knows the system fairly well, and gives us a chance to win (and for the fans--they must know that Kellen Clemens is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a sigh of relief to have as a backup QB, or someone to get excited over).
    Last edited by Varg6; -10-22-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

The fact that the OP could (not by me) be accused of cherry picking games to better Sam's stats notwithstanding, (and I would argue that the fact that they're the last three supports the turning the corner contention), He was really coming on. That TD to Stacy had a nice soft touch on it, and 3 weeks ago, might have been tipped. And the long ball was definitely emerging.

I could go on and on, (and will admit to questioning Bradford myself this season), but the fact is, a few less CRITICAL drops and/or penalties, and there would be no Bradford (or Schottenheimer for that matter) debate. Truly a shame.
    PARamfan likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Or, put more bluntly, what facts do you have that override the facts that I provided?
    Uhh....let's see...how about NONE?
    HUbison, Nick and PARamfan like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

shower beers is offline Registered User

Name:  i-seent-it.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  30.3 KB

Oh, I think we know
    Nick, laram0, Jonze and 3 others like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    The fact that the OP could (not by me) be accused of cherry picking games to better Sam's stats notwithstanding, (and I would argue that the fact that they're the last three supports the turning the corner contention), He was really coming on. That TD to Stacy had a nice soft touch on it, and 3 weeks ago, might have been tipped. And the long ball was definitely emerging.

That's a good point. A good comparison would be the pass he zipped and overthrew that was wide open to Pettis for 6 (I think it was the SF game). Our offense as a whole seemed to turn a corner after we went back to our original identity.

the same ones he's using. They mean and prove nothing that leads to the possibility of future team success or success for him either.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM29JACKSON View Post
    the same ones he's using. They mean and prove nothing that leads to the possibility of future team success or success for him either.
    So you don't think that a team can succeed with a QB who has a passer rating of 111.1?

So you don't think that a team can succeed with a QB who has a passer rating of 111.1?
    honestly...nope, with the new rules that let receivers run all over, its fairly easy for guys who make it to this level to get big passing numbers here and there.

look at SF last year..they shocked people with Kaep but the fact was he was still the teams weakness. He got lots of yards but could only throw bullet passes and if SF didn't have a defense he wouldn't have been so successful...i'm babbling on LOL my first sentence pretty much covers it.

macrammer is offline Registered User

After the SF game, Sam did indeed look much better out there. The numbers speak for themselves. In the past three week, he had at least 4 TD's called back and or dropped. So, the 111 rating would have been even better.
    RealRam and PARamfan like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast