Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Sam was turning the corner before the injury.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sam was turning the corner before the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM29JACKSON View Post
    honestly...nope, with the new rules that let receivers run all over, its fairly easy for guys who make it to this level to get big passing numbers here and there.
    And yet, for the first 7 games this year, 18 teams had starting QBs with a lower passer rating than Sam's (90.9).

look at SF last year..they shocked people with Kaep but the fact was he was still the teams weakness. He got lots of yards but could only throw bullet passes and if SF didn't have a defense he wouldn't have been so successful...i'm babbling on LOL my first sentence pretty much covers it.
    Wouldn't that be an argument to stick with Sam and build the defense?

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    And yet, for the first 7 games this year, 18 teams had starting QBs with a lower passer rating than Sam's (90.9).

Wouldn't that be an argument to stick with Sam and build the defense?

passer rating is an inexact science that doesn't really mean much and you can still get lots of yards with a low passer rating. Its pointless to talk about now. You have to wait a year to see if he's still worth a damn and if the team still sucks it wont matter how good he is or might be.
    his numbers are/were similar to Brady and Luck but that means nothing for the Rams because they don't have a team. Luck has proven he can succeed and force the issue if needed and its only his second year. You had no clue with/about Bradford and will continue to have no clue until its possibly too late.
    The Rams can only hope to be some other teams spoiler from here on in.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

passer rating is an inexact science that doesn't really mean much and you can still get lots of yards with a low passer rating. Its pointless to talk about now. You have to wait a year to see if he's still worth a damn and if the team still sucks it wont matter how good he is or might be.
    his numbers are/were similar to Brady and Luck but that means nothing for the Rams because they don't have a team. Luck has proven he can succeed and force the issue if needed and its only his second year. You had no clue with/about Bradford and will continue to have no clue until its possibly too late.
    You clearly have an agenda to convey doom and gloom, but you've done nothing to disprove my premise that Sam was showing marked improvement this year before the injury. Merely disagreeing with someone is not the same as disproving their premise.
    HUbison, Nick and Jonze like this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    You're absolutely right. Sam deserves some criticism from time to time and may never be Brady, Peyton or Rodgers, but he is a good QB who was getting better. The numbers bear that out and anyone who watched the Rams this year (minus the SF game) saw that. It is both unfortunate and unfair that he will not finish the season- that's life in the NFL.

I sincerely hope he's back and better than ever in 2014 because one, I think he's the best man for the job, and two, I do not wish to start over yet again with a guy we'll have to groom for the job.
    Very well said. That's essentially exactly how I feel.
    PARamfan likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

You clearly have an agenda to convey doom and gloom, but you've done nothing to disprove my premise that Sam was showing marked improvement this year before the injury. Merely disagreeing with someone is not the same as disproving their premise.
    LOL nope, no agenda. Just a sports fan killing time on a sports forum.

I don't waste time with conjecture or hope ( about unimportant sport team topics) for something that in actuality will not happen. Bradfords numbers are pointless and meaningless now. His season and the Rams season is over. That's not doom and gloom, that's a mathematical fact.
    if he comes back and does well, that will be all wonderful and everything. But his and the Rams past has been nothing but mediocre on the whole and that doesn't bode well for their future.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

You're right; AV doesn't have a clue about Bradford. He has facts and a cogent analysis thereof. The vague gobbledeegook you present....not so much.

Passer rating is heavily weighted on TDs vs INTs. Total yds and YPC don't win real games; taking advantage of scoring chances & minimizing mistakes do. Sam was doing that at a very high level & only getting better as the support improved.

Nothing wrong with your observation that a QB can't turn a poor team around alone but why such a hate on for SB, then, when his support has been so poor ? Facts & logic.....mmmmm.....two tastes that go great together.

The Luck comment doesn't logically follow for the same reason. Seriously, the support has been the same ? Luck is a tremendous player (you've no idea how that sticks in my CAL craw) & deserves credit for overcoming some of his team's weaknesses probably better than SB has re pass pro but we'll see how he does without Wayne over a season.

Spiderwolf is offline Registered User

In the past, many who defended Sam posed the following hypothetical...

"If Sam had better receivers, was sacked less, and continuity in the system, his numbers would improve significantly."

This year, for seven games, Sam was working with a group of receivers who, though raw and not at their career peak yet, are better than the group he's worked with in the past. His O line, though far from perfect, provided better protection than he's had in the past. And, finally, though many of us don't like the Schottenheimer system, Sam had the benefit of continuity from last year.

The result: his numbers sigificantly improved.

Other issues arose in the early going... most notably the absence of a running game. However, in the past three weeks, the emergence of Zac Stacy as a viable starting RB improved that situation.

The result: here are his numbers from the last three weeks:

80 attempts
    52 completions
    65.0 completion %
    594 yards
    7.4 yards per attempt
    7 touchdowns
    1 interception
    111.1 passer rating

These numbers reveal the reason why Sam's injury is truly a shame.

He was turning the corner.

Now, the progress is somewhat derailed. While the receivers will continue to gain valuable experience, it won't be with Sam. Instead, they'll have to come together again next year during a time when Sam might not be 100% healthy, and he'll have a bit of rust.

The Rams will deal with those issues when the time comes. However, when you look at his numbers from this year, and particularly at his last three games, its not difficult to see why the Rams have given him a vote of confidence for next year.
    He was improving but I don't think he will ever be a great starter. A great back up maybe but not a starter. I for one hope we go after a QB with our first pick next year. Bradford will never be a star, and this team needs a top rate QB.
    renrawtruk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    You're right; AV doesn't have a clue about Bradford. He has facts and a cogent analysis thereof. The vague gobbledeegook you present....not so much.

Passer rating is heavily weighted on TDs vs INTs. Total yds and YPC don't win real games; taking advantage of scoring chances & minimizing mistakes do. Sam was doing that at a very high level & only getting better as the support improved.

Nothing wrong with your observation that a QB can't turn a poor team around alone but why such a hate on for SB, then, when his support has been so poor ? Facts & logic.....mmmmm.....two tastes that go great together.

The Luck comment doesn't logically follow for the same reason. Seriously, the support has been the same ? Luck is a tremendous player (you've no idea how that sticks in my CAL craw) & deserves credit for overcoming some of his team's weaknesses probably better than SB has re pass pro but we'll see how he does without Wayne over a season.
    dude, no ones making anything personal here.I'm just giving a practical cut throat view of the sports franchise situation. There are no facts and logic other than the starter is out with a busted knee. All the stat conjecture doesn't mean crap now.Thats all there is to it.

Sam woulda,coulda,shoulda,might...means nothing now and possibly never will mean anything

Rambos is online now Registered User

dude, no ones making anything personal here.I'm just giving a practical cut throat view of the sports franchise situation. There are no facts and logic other than the starter is out with a busted knee. All the stat conjecture doesn't mean crap now.Thats all there is to it.

Sam woulda,coulda,shoulda,might...means nothing now and possibly never will mean anything
    There is only one persons opinion that matters. That person is Fisher. Weather some feel Sam is not the long term answer or feel he is, really doesn't matter. All that matters is Fisher thoughts on Sam and he is clearly is going to keep building around Sam.

He was playing very, very well, not only yesterday, but was just improving weekly with the group around him.
    I’m especially disappointed for Sam just because of the work and the effort and the progress that he’s made. Even yesterday, the throws that he made yesterday. He had the one touchdown to (RB) Zac (Stacy), but he has a beautiful throw to (WR) Tavon (Austin) called back because of a tripping penalty and then he has a touchdown pass dropped in the end zone by (WR) Brian (Quick). And so, he was off to a great start so it was unfortunate, but he’ll be back. He’s our quarterback.”
    Fisher seems to agree with those who watched Sam this year and said he played well, he was improving. The stats don't tell everything and that includes all the dropped passes.

Until I hear Fisher say anything other then he's our QB, then there really is nothing to be said. Unless you just want to make some noise.
    RealRam likes this.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

When your counter "argument" is so laughably weak & clueless itself, all you're doing is making yourself look foolish so I doubt anyone could be insulted by it except the person who should, ie your good self.

I see nothing practical, never mind interesting, about wanting to dump a young & promising QB by any rational measure & starting over at this stage. Have you learned nothing from all the instability of this franchise over the years & resulting chops/ changes in approach and leadership that dug such a deep hole ?

There was no stat conjecture or modal verbs in my argument or AV's. Bradford's numbers and their upward trajectory are fact, not theory.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -10-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    HUbison likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford has probably had the best 3 game stretch of his career in the last three games. So yes, he appeared to be improving.

Don't know if he was turning any corners (would've needed to see a bit more), but he certainly was beginning to play better.
    RealRam likes this.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Agreed that Sam and the offense as a whole seemed to be figuring it out. Despite how infuriating the Panthers game was, it was the most promising offensive performance I've seen from the Rams in years (aside from the turnovers). They were moving the ball at will against one of the best defenses in the league, Quick was getting open and making plays (the drops still are an issue), Shotty appeared to be figuring out how to use Austin, a capable RB had emerged, and Sam was looking like a legit NFL QB. Sadly this development has to be put on hold but hopefully it can continue in 2014 if Sam is healthy by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    When your counter "argument" is so laughably weak & clueless itself, all you're doing is making yourself look foolish so I doubt anyone could be insulted by it except the person who should, ie your good self.

I see nothing practical, never mind interesting, about wanting to dump a young & promising QB by any rational measure & starting over at this stage. Have you learned nothing from all the instability of this franchise over the years & resulting chops/ changes in approach and leadership that dug such a deep hole ?

There was no stat conjecture or modal verbs in my argument or AV's. Bradford's numbers and their upward trajectory are fact, not theory.
    my counter argument is...his knee is broken and none of the stats talk for fun's sake matter now.

it is complete theory to assume any real Rams success was coming because of a few positive numbers and its now meaningless to talk about until possibly next August. And he will have to fight for his job again no matter what anyone thinks of Fisher trying to give a positive spin about his future.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

my counter argument is...
    Should have just stopped there.
    HUbison and PARamfan like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

These numbers reveal the reason why Sam's injury is truly a shame.

He was turning the corner.

Now, the progress is somewhat derailed. While the receivers will continue to gain valuable experience, it won't be with Sam. Instead, they'll have to come together again next year during a time when Sam might not be 100% healthy, and he'll have a bit of rust.

The Rams will deal with those issues when the time comes. However, when you look at his numbers from this year, and particularly at his last three games, its not difficult to see why the Rams have given him a vote of confidence for next year. -- Av
    No doubt he was on his way to having his best year. And as you said, somehow the Rams offense will have to reconnect with SB next year in order to match current progress and further potential. I believe that challenge WILL be met and reached.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast