Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Sam was turning the corner before the injury.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Sam was turning the corner before the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM29JACKSON View Post
    I'm not incorrect.
    And you of course are doing the childish internet practice of highlighting a few words instead of comprehending the entire post/thought. It doesnt really matter how you choose to judge my and your evaluation of Sam's numbers. My entire statement is true. The Rams don't have what it takes and Sam wasn't getting them any closer no matter how positive you want to be about his development or crunching your numbers
    First of all, try to calm down, you're taking a simple discussion about football way too seriously. Believe it or not, there isn't some vast right wing conspiracy here to take you down.

Now, back to your assessment of Bradford. Just what is it that he hasn't done? He's put up very good numbers, especially TD's. He's been a leader, he's led comebacks and has carried the team on his shoulders. He's gotten comfortable in the pocket, has shown he's fearless under pressure, has made all the throws (most notably, picture perfect bombs), and is at his best in the red zone, and when the game is on the line late. He also has the respect of his teammates, who love the guy. Just ask Harvey Dahl.

As I said earlier, guys like you are stuck on the phony narrative that Bradford can't succeed in the NFL, which again, is baseless. You're seeing what you want to see. Football is a team game, as you alluded to, and it takes everybody doing their jobs to win. Joe Flacco doesn't accomplish jack if the rest of his team is giving up points, dropping passes, fumbling the ball, running the wrong routes, not comprehending audibles, committing penalties, and producing no running game. That's just a fact.

So in your opinion, what hasn't Bradford done? I'm thinking your beef should be with Fisher.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Well....interesting little thread. You have to admit, the Rams are surely taking their sweet time to turn this thing around. SF Seattle all have put themselves in the position we can only dream about. And now KC with a retread Alex Smith is knocking on the door.

But, to put on Sam is not right. This is an organization issue and we will all see what losing Sam for the season means to the Rams the remainder of this year.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    First of all, try to calm down, you're taking a simple discussion about football way too seriously. Believe it or not, there isn't some vast right wing conspiracy here to take you down.

Now, back to your assessment of Bradford. Just what is it that he hasn't done? He's put up very good numbers, especially TD's. He's been a leader, he's led comebacks and has carried the team on his shoulders. He's gotten comfortable in the pocket, has shown he's fearless under pressure, has made all the throws (most notably, picture perfect bombs), and is at his best in the red zone, and when the game is on the line late. He also has the respect of his teammates, who love the guy. Just ask Harvey Dahl.

As I said earlier, guys like you are stuck on the phony narrative that Bradford can't succeed in the NFL, which again, is baseless. You're seeing what you want to see. Football is a team game, as you alluded to, and it takes everybody doing their jobs to win. Joe Flacco doesn't accomplish jack if the rest of his team is giving up points, dropping passes, fumbling the ball, running the wrong routes, not comprehending audibles, committing penalties, and producing no running game. That's just a fact.

So in your opinion, what hasn't Bradford done? I'm thinking your beef should be with Fisher.
    I stated as much about Fisher and the organization. And I never said I hope he fails. If he's great and i'm wrong, I have no problem with that LOL. The positive spin being put on his numbers simply mean nothing and definitely nothing now that we have to wait and see if he gets back to it as good or better. But the Rams current possible 3 year plan just became a 4 and 5 year plan again. And again, Sam's so called positive numbers mean nothing to me when most guys can get that now with all the anti defense rules. You really have no clue even now how good he is or isn't until the entire team gets better.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

LOL oops , ok, Joe, Bill what ever ?
    Not a big deal, just making a funny. Life's been good. Ya know?
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not incorrect.
    And you of course are doing the childish internet practice of highlighting a few words instead of comprehending the entire post/thought. It doesnt really matter how you choose to judge my and your evaluation of Sam's numbers. My entire statement is true. The Rams don't have what it takes and Sam wasn't getting them any closer no matter how positive you want to be about his development or crunching your numbers
    I'm sorry, but yes, you've been incorrect in pretty much every stance you've taken in this thread. AV and others made, quite clearly, the point that Bradford has been on an upward trajectory. You feel otherwise. The evidence is overwhelming to the original point. Much like the evidence of 1+1=2 is overwhelming. Argue against it if you choose, but to your own peril.

And they are not "my" numbers, or AV's numbers or anyone else's numbers. They are "the" numbers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jmk321 is offline Registered User

yes, science has gotten better the last 20 years but that doesn't guarantee Sam will come back any better if at all as a starter. The average career is 3-4 years as always and Sam has a better chance of being one of the many instead of one of the few. Just have to wait and see.

but every team shouldn't be this dumb. There should always be 3 QBs on staff. even musical plays/theatre actors have understudies and they seldom get blindsided by huge lineman LOL
    The average career length for a first round pick is 9.3 years. Nice try though. Sam Bradford is a first round pick by the way.

And every team shouldn't carry 3 QB's on their active roster. If your starting QB goes down for the season in week 7 your playoff hopes are pretty much gone. It's wasting a roster spot to have that many QB's suit up every Sunday and if your backup is good enough to be a competent starter in the NFL then another team will trade for him considering how important the position is.

The ***** were the rare team that had a backup QB come in and perform well for them when their starter went down. That QB was also a high draft pick, had the best roster in the NFL around him and had one of the best coaches in the league helping him develop in Jim Harbaugh(we saw what he did for Alex Smith's career). Drafting high upside projects in the second round could be the way teams treat the backup QB position now that the league is figuring out how to properly utilize athletic quarterbacks but I would say this is most likely an outlier and that every other example from the last 30 years of the NFL is a better indicator of how teams should actually treat the position.

I stated as much about Fisher and the organization. And I never said I hope he fails. If he's great and i'm wrong, I have no problem with that LOL. The positive spin being put on his numbers simply mean nothing and definitely nothing now that we have to wait and see if he gets back to it as good or better. But the Rams current possible 3 year plan just became a 4 and 5 year plan again. And again, Sam's so called positive numbers mean nothing to me when most guys can get that now with all the anti defense rules. You really have no clue even now how good he is or isn't until the entire team gets better.
    Okay, forget about the numbers. WHAT HASN'T BRADFORD DONE TO YOUR SATISFACTION?? What I'm getting from you is that the Rams are a bad team, Sam Bradford is the Rams QB, so by that association, Bradford should be kicked to the curb as a bust, regardless of what he has actually done on the field. Is that about right?

emuen is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    He's been a leader, he's led comebacks and has carried the team on his shoulders. He's gotten comfortable in the pocket, has shown he's fearless under pressure, has made all the throws (most notably, picture perfect bombs), and is at his best in the red zone, and when the game is on the line late.

1. Agreed Really nice numbers. Especially TD.

2. He was asked to speak to the team pre-game, and later gave the leader role back to Chris Long.

3. 6 4th quarter comebacks doing his career (5 wins, 1 tie). Luck has 6, RGIII has 4, Russel Wilson has 6, Kaepernick has 3. All better procentage pr game played. Alex Smith has 11 with a similar 4th quarter comeback pr game. (counting game they participated in, not necessarily started, or finished)

4. Carried the team on his shoulders? I'll note that as your opinion

5. Isn't that something you credit the O-line for?

6. Has shown he is fearless under pressure? I'll note that as your opinion.

7. Has made all the throws. He certainly didn't make the sideline throw to Quick in the Whiners game, but I get your point. His deep ball have been (have seemed to be! I got no EVIDENCE!) a lot better than in previous years. Still have a problem with tipped passes.

8. This is really a key stat, where Bradford have improved significantly. But I will ALSO give credit to the OC. Shotty had the Jets ranked number one in Red Zone offense back in 2011, with Sanchez at the helm. Yes, Sanchez had a much better running game. But Shotty is great at drawing plays up inside the 20.

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

I get all the comparisons and it's fine and all but I don't know what people are expecting to happen. I'm sure the next time the Rams have the number 1 pick in the draft and there's a once a decade QB on the board who is a can't miss prospect that we'll draft that guy. But we don't and there isn't. As the infinitely wise Ric Flair has said on many occassions, "If you don't like it, learn to love it."

Oh, and I'm sure there was a wooooo in there too.
    lostsoul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    2. He was asked to speak to the team pre-game, and later gave the leader role back to Chris Long.
    Have you seen him lately? Getting animated on the field, encouraging teammates, taking charge on the field.

3. 6 4th quarter comebacks doing his career (5 wins, 1 tie). Luck has 6, RGIII has 4, Russel Wilson has 6, Kaepernick has 3. All better procentage pr game played. Alex Smith has 11 with a similar 4th quarter comeback pr game. (counting game they participated in, not necessarily started, or finished)
    I'm looking at this year, most notably, the win against Arizona, and the comeback against Atlanta that just fell short when the defense could not hold.

4. Carried the team on his shoulders? I'll note that as your opinion
    He didn't do that in the comebacks? If you need me to, I'll find the comments by his teammates that specifically said Bradford carried the team.

5. Isn't that something you credit the O-line for?
    Not in the context of people saying Bradford was a "deer in the headlights". IMO, he's made huge strides in moving around the pocket to avoid pressure, and making his reads. The TD pass to Pettis against Jacksonville is a prime example, where Bradford looked off the safety, and them threw a perfect pass to a single covered Pettis.

6. Has shown he is fearless under pressure? I'll note that as your opinion.
    Did you not see the perfect pass Bradford threw to Cook for 34 yards against Houston, a split second before he got absolutely smashed by Ed Reed?

7. Has made all the throws. He certainly didn't make the sideline throw to Quick in the Whiners game, but I get your point. His deep ball have been (have seemed to be! I got no EVIDENCE!) a lot better than in previous years. Still have a problem with tipped passes.
    You need evidence of Bradford's success throwing the deep ball? Just look at the last game. A perfect 63 yard bomb to Austin that was nullified by a penalty, and the perfect 73 yard pass to Quick, and then of course the 25 yard sure TD that was dropped by Quick.

And other than getting hit on the first pass against Carolina, there have been no tipped passes that I remember in the last two games.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Hard to believe this argument is still running. Bradford has weaknesses like any other player, but anyone who thinks Bradford is a bad player simply doesn't know football. No one here ever said Bradford was the equivalent of Peyton Manning, only that he is a QB that was improving (totally accurate) and someone who could win games given a decent supporting cast (also accurate). To give up on a guy like this is lunacy- do you have ANY concept of how difficult it is to land a superstar QB? How many times should the Rams "start over"?

Some people will never get it. Maybe when Clemens or Quinn go 6 for 19 for 73 yards and 2 picks in some future game this season, you'll realize just how dumb these calls for Bradford to go really are.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well said NJ.

As for this still going, it is the type of 'argument' that begins to turn into a detractor's stubbornness.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I think this has probably been Sams best year yet. I would prefer less checkdowns but from what i seen in the Panther game he started getting more comfortable throwing downfield. I wouldn't mind having him back next year, But i feel there are 2 QBs in the upcoming draft who have potential to be elite NFL quarterbacks. Those two being Bridgewater and Hundley.
    Just my opinion
    Brett Hundley Bandwagon 8/24/2014

Carried the team on his shoulders? I'll note that as your opinion.
    Just so people don't think I'm full of BS in my defense of Bradford :

“Sam did a great job,” tight end Jared Cook said. “He kept his composure the whole time. He put everybody on his back and on his shoulders, and he carried us to victory.”

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Decision making and accuracy are the 2 most important QB metrics in the opinion of Bill Belichek. Sam was improving in those areas as I far as I can see. So what's the problem, winning games? Football is a team game, give him a better/more consistent O-line and receivers who don't drop passes they should catch & more discipline (fewer penalties). Viola, you will win more games! Sam will be fine for us upon his return.

Go Rams!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast