RamWraith is offline Registered User

Same old ... uh ... rivalry

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/08/2005

For the newcomers here at 1 Rams Way in Earth City, it's not just ***** Week. It's ***** Orientation Week.

Coach Mike Martz is making sure of that. Take it from safety Michael Hawthorne, who's new to the curly horns this season after spending his previous five NFL campaigns with Green Bay and New Orleans.

"He mentioned something today," Hawthorne said Monday. "He mentioned something after the last preseason game. And it's starting to stick."

Just wait, cautions linebacker Trev Faulk. Martz may have a few motivational tricks up his sleeve.

"He hasn't pulled the Stubblefield clip out yet," Faulk said Thursday, laughing. "Maybe he's saving that for a little later on in the week. Maybe the night before the game, or something like that."

Ah, the Stubblefield clip. It was 1995, the inaugural season for the Rams in St. Louis. The Rams were the talk of the town, if not the entire National Football League, with their startling 5-1 start and the early lead in the NFC West.

On a beautiful autumn afternoon in October, in the last professional football game played at Busch Stadium, the defending Super Bowl-champion ***** came in with a 4-2 mark.

Alas, it was no contest. The ***** pummeled the Rams 44-10. San Francisco linebacker Ken Norton Jr. punched the Busch goal posts in glee after a score. After the game, ***** defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield chortled to his teammates: "They're the same old sorry (bleep) Rams."

"I remember those years, back in the 4-12 Ram days, when the ***** used to come in and beat on us pretty good," tight end Roland Williams said. "And it really irritated us."

Martz remembers, too. He was Rams wide receivers coach in 1995. A decade later, the mere mention of "same old sorry (bleep) Rams" still gets a rise out of him.

"Yeah," Martz said. "It doesn't take much. Absolutely. I go to sleep at night with that line in my head."

Martz has had a major role in reversing the Rams' fortunes against San Francisco. He is 8-2 against the ***** since taking over as head coach in 2000. He was offensive coordinator in 1999, when the Rams ended their 17-game losing streak against San Francisco by sweeping the season series en route to a Super Bowl and the Lombardi Trophy.

That losing streak came to an end Oct. 10, 1999. Isaac Bruce, who came with the Rams from Los Angeles and has been here all 10 seasons, caught four touchdown passes in a 42-20 Rams victory.

Offensive tackle Orlando Pace still counts that day as "probably one of the best games that I was a part of since I've been in the league. Up until then, everybody was talking about their streak and how they were winning. No one was really giving us a chance."

After the game, former ***** coaching legend Bill Walsh, who was then the team's general manager, dropped in on Dick Vermeil's postgame news conference, and in a stage whisper told the Rams' head coach: "You're going all the way."

Turns out Walsh was right.

"That was the one game that kind of put us over the top in a sense that year," Pace said. "Just beating the *****, your arch rival, it made us feel like we were ready to go."

Since the move to St. Louis, few Rams-***** games have been so meaningful. Only three of the 20 meetings over that span were decided by fewer than 10 points. On only six occasions did both teams have a winning record entering the game.

The best late-season showdown occurred in the Rams' 2001 Super Bowl season when both teams were 9-2 entering the Dec. 9 contest in St. Louis. The Rams didn't have much trouble that day, racing to a 14-0 first-quarter lead, and then coasting to a 27-14 victory.

Usually, one team clearly has been better than the other over the past decade. Even so, as long as there are former LA Rams still working in Earth City - Bruce, Martz, and president of football operations Jay Zygmunt among them - the rivalry has special meaning.

"There's a couple games that Mike gets pretty fired up for," quarterback Marc Bulger said. "And this is certainly one of them. I think this goes way back with him. And Isaac and guys that have been here (several) years understand that."

Sunday marks the 112th meeting between the old West Coast rivals. They have met twice a year since the ***** joined the NFL in 1950. In 1989, they played three times, the third being the NFC championship game.

Throughout the NFL, only eight series are longer: Chicago-Green Bay (169 games); Green Bay-Detroit (151); Chicago-Detroit (150); Washington-New York Giants (146); Philadelphia-New York Giants (142); Philadelphia-Washington (140); Arizona-New York Giants (120); and Arizona-Washington (116).

"This goes way back," Martz said. "Even growing up in San Diego and watching this rivalry for many years, I have a real respect for the competitive nature of this matchup."

So do veteran Rams, such as center Andy McCollum: "It's still the *****, and it does make a difference because they're the *****. I don't know how to say it."

And Pace: "Do I hate the *****? Uh, yeah. It's ***** Week."

Which means that Stubblefield clip could be right around the corner.

Re: Same old ... uh ... rivalry

hell Yea Its The Whiner Week And I Am Heading Over To Give Them Then Horn

txramsfan is offline Registered User

All it takes for me, and speaking for me only, is to merely have someone mention the whiners and I get a twitch I don't even get when someone mentions an ex-girlfriend.

Now that it's whiner week, that twitch happens way to often. I compare the feeling I get from that twitch like having to go to the dentist knowing the SOB is out of novacaine.

You can say what you want about Rams/Saints rivalries, Rams/Seahawks....NOTHING, I mean NOTHING, compares to Rams/whiners.

ram3057 is offline Registered User

I don't know how many of you are in the club:

http://www.49erhaters.com/

I've been a card carrying member forever!!

The only thing better than a RAMS win, is a 49er loss.

(And I'm starting to hate the Patriots just as much).

GO RAMS !!!!!
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

brhokla Guest

Yea, I guess I'd hate the Patriots too! After all they are what ended your short 1 year DYNASTY! Over 50 years in the NFL and 1 RING. That Sucks bad. I'd be invious of teams like the Patriots who in 4 years have recieved 3 of those prizes and the Niners who Owned the 80's, 90's and have 5 Rings. Yes, Id hate those teams too if I was a Lambs fan!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Even so, as long as there are former LA Rams still working in Earth City - Bruce, Martz, and president of football operations Jay Zygmunt among them - the rivalry has special meaning.
    31 years and counting for me.
    I will always hate the ******!

All it takes for me, and speaking for me only, is to merely have someone mention the whiners and I get a twitch I don't even get when someone mentions an ex-girlfriend.

Now that it's whiner week, that twitch happens way to often. I compare the feeling I get from that twitch like having to go to the dentist knowing the SOB is out of novacaine.

You can say what you want about Rams/Saints rivalries, Rams/Seahawks....NOTHING, I mean NOTHING, compares to Rams/whiners.

I hear you TX.
    I saw a truck on the road the other day with a ****** sticker on the rear window. So I postioned myself in front of him so he could see my RAMS decal on my rear window.:tongue:

*&%#@ the ******! :clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Very rarely do I see any whiners stuff but tons of NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS crap !!!!!

:clanram: :clanram: :clanram:

Chiledog is offline Registered User

Wait till Hawthorne finds out about the mandatory - 49er week vaccinations that the whole team has to get...

-
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

he brhokla, do your history... if you count up all the championships the rams had prior to the "superbowl" you see that we have won far more titles there the poor whiners have. as for the patriots, it was 9-11, and they were given the season. there a bunch of wusses i hold just one tier above the muck known as the whiners.. hopefully if the stars are right they wont have another winning season till im old and grey...at least that is what i hope.... even if the rams end a season at 2-14 i will still be happy as long as the whiners are 1-15....

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

You know what they say...

S.O.S.A.F.

LOL

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Its time to strike fear in the rest of the league.The return of the G.S.O.T. the 1st shiver will come Sunday.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -09-09-2005 at 02:32 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brhokla
    Yea, I guess I'd hate the Patriots too! After all they are what ended your short 1 year DYNASTY! Over 50 years in the NFL and 1 RING. That Sucks bad. I'd be invious of teams like the Patriots who in 4 years have recieved 3 of those prizes and the Niners who Owned the 80's, 90's and have 5 Rings. Yes, Id hate those teams too if I was a Lambs fan!
    I donít hate any of them because I donít live in the past. I live in the present and look forward to the future. If I need reference to something I am going through I may see what happened in the past learn from it and then let it go. The way I look at it is no one owns this years Super Bowl yet and we have a great chance this year. Who cares if your team has won 5 Super Bowls if you suck in the present and the future how much fun is that?
    I look forward to having a good team now and in the future. I am happier with the Rams then any team could be about a team with a storied franchise that sucks now.

:tongue: