Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Same old worries for me

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    There probably isn't a way to write this without it being taken negatively, but it really is a case of being realistic, not negative.

First of all, I don't think any of us should be patting the Rams on the back for beating SF last night. Just like the Cards and Saints, the Rams SHOULD have won. To me, it's like these guys who excessively celebrate after making a tackle. That's your job! You don't get brownie points for doing what you're supposed to do. You can't take a win for granted in the NFL but I won't throw a ticker-tape parade for a win like last night either.
    For the most part, I agree with you. You're right, the Rams SHOULD have won those games, but they didn't, and that put them in a hole. They had something to prove coming into San Francisco. A 1-3 record could've been too big of a trap to overcome with the inconsistency that is the Rams. Sure, the Whiners seem to be the absolute worst team in the NFL at this point (with the possible exception of the Phins), but the Rams were blown out at Candlestick the last two years. So, yes, they should've expected to win, but when it's put in perspective, the celebration is understandable.

Secondly, and more importantly to me, Mike Martz once again coaches in response to the media. Has there ever been a coach more affected by what is said in the media than Martz? I'm not even going to comment on his big speech earlier in the week since we all know you can't believe anything he's feeding to the media in press conferences. He called a good game this week and no one should have a problem with the actual plays that were called. I worry about the motivation for calling the game that he did.
    I doubt Mike Martz was doing his gameplanning this week with Bryan Burwell nagging on and on in his mind. This is something that cannot be proven, so I shouldn't even waste my time with it, and I think it's a pretty weak argument to speculate about. Martz seems to go with the flow as far as playcalling, using what works at the time. If the passing game is rolling, he'll call passes, and if the run works, he'll keep running. More often than not in recent history, though, the run blocking has been awful, with Marshall being swarmed in the backfield on handoffs and tosses, and the opponent didn't even have to respect the run. Why run it when it hasn't worked all game and you're already behind? It's not like the Rams have a power running game that takes time to warm up before it is effective. I think this has to do more with the offensive line being in sync and Martz calling the right running plays at the right time more than the number of rushes called.

Anyone remember the NFL Network promo's that were aired when the station had just started? "It doesn't suck being Rich Eisen" or something like that. In one of the promo's he's feeding a ball into a throwing machine and Torry Holt leaps 5, 10...20 feet in the air to catch it. Okay, maybe not quite that high but he was "Air Holt" for sure. The pass he caught last night was identical to that. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.
    Agreed. Holt is clearly the playmaker, while Bruce is more consistent, fluid, and open more often, thanks to the attention Torry's gotten.

Can we all stop the Jackson needs the ball more than Faulk talk now? I think it should be obvious to everyone that Faulk's still got more moves than Jackson. It was nice to see Jackson get his first td, but I'm going to murder Martz if he takes Faulk out for Jackson in a real game. Jackson just doesn't have the goal line awareness that Faulk has and it was evident to me last night as Jackson struggled to get the ball into the end zone.
    Other than a couple good runs, Steven Jackson didn't impress me enough to put him over Faulk at this point in my mind. Marshall sees the field better, makes more moves, and just flat out gets the job done. Jackson wasn't running with the poise that I had hoped to see, and seemed to have Primetime jitters.

What the hell was Butler doing playing 15 yards off the ball when the Niners were on the 10 yard line? That slant pass that he gave up for a td--where he didn't ever TOUCH the wr was the most horrendous thing I've ever seen.
    I hated that play as well. His reaction time seemed very slow - you'd think he'd watch the quarterback a little closer in the red zone instead of staying outside and playing off the receiver. I suspect Marmie might've had something to do with this, though.

Hopefully the Rams can use this success to get better by next week and compete with the Seahawks. But, just like after the NFC Championship game against the Eagles, when we all thought that Martz FINALLY got it by running Faulk and calling a balanced attack, I fear that just like against the Patriots when things start to get tough, Martz will revert to his old ways against the Seahawks. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm betting Bulger will top 45 passes next week.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Martz go bombs away against the Seahawks; he does tend to do that against top opponents. I've seen the trend backed up with stats, and I won't argue that. Whether it's a good thing, bad thing, or just coincidence, I guess we'll all find out. I don't really know what to expect in this game. The Seahawks have had a weak schedule thus far, and the Rams have been hot-and-cold (with the only "hot" moments coming against the Cardinals and half of the Niners game). This is why we watch.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    In one of the recent post-game articles posted on this forum, Martz sounds as if his playcalling was in direct response to what he was seeing on the field.

From said article:

"We've always been a little pragmatic about things in the last six years,"
    coach Mike Martz said. "That's kind of how we approach things. You're standing
    there on the sidelines, you look at it, they're playing a real soft Cover 2."

The ***** were playing their safeties deep, basically inviting the Rams to run
    the football. Martz accepted the invitation.

"You start handing the ball off, and start rolling pretty good," Martz said.

So you keep handing it off.

"And that's what kind of happened," Martz said. "The offensive line took it
    upon themselves to make things happen, and they certainly did. ... It's just
    like in the passing game. If you're hitting them, you keep going. You do
    whatever it takes to win."

Whether or not some people buy into that is up to them, but it sounds as if the frequently-criticized offensive mind saw what the defense was giving him and adjusted his gameplan accordingly to take advantage of it. If that's the case, I'm not sure one can make the accusation that this was in response to media criticism, since it instead seems to have been in response to the ***** themselves.
    I agree, and it's something Martz has always seemed to do. It's how he dealt with the quarterback situation, too. He took the hot hand at the time. I don't think he's afraid to let the running game take over; he did it against the Eagles in the NFC Championship back in '01. I just think he gets frustrated when it doesn't work early on and puts them in a bad spot.

He mentioned it even after the Saints game just before his now infamous rant.
    "The first (touchdown) drive we had, we didn't run the ball one time,' he reminded reporters. 'That's kind of what we do, really, you know, fast and furious. There are times you want to run it and there's times . . . when you look at tape, we study this very hard, if you get on a roll you let them go. That's been my philosophy."

Hasselbeck8MVP is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I think it would be safe to say that by opening up the running game against the whiners and making it work, Martz gave the Seattle decision makers a lot more to worry about. They now have to respect BOTH the run and the pass.
    Perhaps...but at the same time I think you all are giving new Niners DC Willy Robinson WAYYYY too much credit...

Ray Rhodes...is not Willy Robinson. Hell Robinson's title last year? Defensive backs coach of the Steelers.

We all know where that went during his tenure.

Ray Rhodes has coached against the Rams offense multiple times with the Redskins, Broncos, and now the Seahawks. I tend to believe in Rhodes a little bit more than I think many of you Rams fans do.

"They will have to focus on the run and pass now...it's a diabolical scheme...we can really set them up!" Not really? We were probably going to respect #28 regardless of how many times he touched the ball - because Rhodes is a damn good coach.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I don't think anyone is giving Robinson too much credit or disrespecting Ray Rhodes. Its just that going into the Niner game the Niners defense was ranked 4th against the rush and we were able to run pretty good on them. As Ram fans that makes us feel good. Now we know that know matter what happened last week, Rhodes was not going to forget about old #28. But last week did show that when the Rams want to they can run the ball with success and that will give Rhodes something to think about. Of course the real question is whether Martz wants to run the ball or not. Because if he doesn't he'll give up on it after a few tries and then the Rams could be in trouble.
    Sprtsmac :football:

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac
    Of course the real question is whether Martz wants to run the ball or not. Because if he doesn't he'll give up on it after a few tries and then the Rams could be in trouble.
    What I'm curious of is whether the O-line wants to run the ball or not. If they don't want to run block, then no RB is going to find a hole to EXPLODE thru and fans are left wondering what all that dancing was about in the backfield. Of course Martz could see this too and he could replace the slacker/s and try the run again, give the other side credit for being more physical and go to pass mode, or run again and see if the first time was an aberration. Any way you want to turn it though, you still are left with the desire moving the players to move the stack. Where there is a will there is way.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Where there is a will there is way.
    Well lets hope there is a will from our O-line on Sunday.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Yodude is offline Registered User

What I'm curious of is whether the O-line wants to run the ball or not.
    I think every o-line, if given the choice, would prefer to run the ball. They get to drive instead of retreat. It's much easier for them to run block. Plus they get to hit people.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

If you run the ball, you will win! :ramlogo:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Q:
    What I'm curious of is whether the O-line wants to run the ball or not. If they don't want to run block, then no RB is going to find a hole to EXPLODE thru and fans are left wondering what all that dancing was about in the backfield. Of course Martz could see this too and he could replace the slacker/s and try the run again, give the other side credit for being more physical and go to pass mode, or run again and see if the first time was an aberration. Any way you want to turn it though, you still are left with the desire moving the players to move the stack. Where there is a will there is way.

A:
    For an offensive lineman, run blocking beats the heck out of pass blocking, oh, 50 times a game.

"It does," offensive tackle Orlando Pace said, laughing. "I was telling Grant Williams that (Sunday night). Man, it feels good to get out and actually run block. I know the guys on the offensive line really enjoy it. If we can move the ball and eat up some of the clock, it's always good."
    Link

I agree, let's hope the offensive line continues with this aggressive attitude.

MartialRAM is offline Registered User

What I'm curious of is whether the O-line wants to run the ball or not.
    All of the lineman have been quoted since the preseason as "Loving to run block". Check and see in the archives. They repeated the statements again in this weeks player quotes. I believe them.

"Right guard Adam Timmerman said he and his linemates love playing smashmouth football because it gives them an opportunity to be aggressive.

“It was nice,” Timmerman said. “I think everyone up front was functioning well. We love the chance to go and attack.” "
    Last edited by MartialRAM; -10-08-2004 at 12:44 PM.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Well, if they love to run block, maybe they should be on another team? I mean, we play fast and furious...that's what we do.

MartialRAM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Well, if they love to run block, maybe they should be on another team? I mean, we play fast and furious...that's what we do.
    That's it!!! Fire the whole line. That will fix it. Brilliant!!! :confused:

You know, you can be fast and furious with your runs, too. :redface:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Hilarious! :tongue:

Chiledog is offline Registered User

Hey Moklerman. This is off-topic, but I'm curious about your signature:

"I'll sign my share but I'm not going to go out looking or anything." -Marc Bulger

Was that a comment that he made about signing autographs?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast