ramhard is offline Registered User

Same story different year on Draft

As I was thinking of the draft, and then I looked at last year's draft and it hit me that the Rams essentially need the same things as last year (plus a CB). Made me realize that the draft was not that successful.

1 Jackson RB
    3. Hargrove DE
    4. Chillar LB
    5. Shavers S
    6. Smoker, QB
    7. Jensen, TE
    7. Turner OT

Not you can argue that LL's uncertainty make DE a priority, BUT in all truth if we were all sold that Hargrove was ready it then it would be much less so. But the needs are still DE, LB, S, OT, and TE. And not one of the lower draft choices surprised. Chillar was pressed into action early due to Polley's poor play but quickly fell back, and no one is pointing to him as a LB solution.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Same story different year on Draft

I don't think you can honestly grade a draft until three years down the road, unless you are talking about the Dung Canidate draft.

tanus is offline Registered User

How anyone can think last years draft was unsuccessful is beyond me.

We got a very good RB and very promising DE with our first two picks. What more do you want?

We got a decent LB with potential.

Smoker and Turner are promising as well.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    As I was thinking of the draft, and then I looked at last year's draft and it hit me that the Rams essentially need the same things as last year (plus a CB). Made me realize that the draft was not that successful.

1 Jackson RB
    3. Hargrove DE
    4. Chillar LB
    5. Shavers S
    6. Smoker, QB
    7. Jensen, TE
    7. Turner OT

Not you can argue that LL's uncertainty make DE a priority, BUT in all truth if we were all sold that Hargrove was ready it then it would be much less so. But the needs are still DE, LB, S, OT, and TE. And not one of the lower draft choices surprised. Chillar was pressed into action early due to Polley's poor play but quickly fell back, and no one is pointing to him as a LB solution.
    But I think Turner did surprise some people. Just the fact that a 7th rounder is still here is surprising, but he actually performed well and showed promise for the future. Jackson has answered our RB questions & Hargrove will be starting this year whether Little is wearing the county orange jumpsuit or not. Chillar may pan out, still way too early to tell, especially on a 4th rounder. Shivers will make it somewhere, maybe Chicago, we let him walk too soon. Smoker? Who knows...Martz kept him under his wing this year. He'll be the #2 this year, and unless we fix our O-line, we may see a lot of Smoker. And Jensen...well, by the 6th round, it's anybody's guess.

The truth is, when referring to the 2004 draft, we still don't know what our needs are. Maybe we solved some positional questions, maybe we didn't. Time will tell, but we have to go forward with this draft, assuming we know some of those answers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I think last years draft was fine!We do need some better DT's! With no push, we really can't tell how good these young DB's are. :tough: And some OG's also. that can tell how well the other components are! TE,RB,etc. It is more of a line thing than anything else! :tough:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

1 Jackson RB - Showed tremendous ability and potential this season. Only concern is durability.

3. Hargrove DE - Showed he has the physical tools to get the job done. What he did to Walter Jones in the playoffs on that one play has me optimistic.

4. Chillar LB - Could be starting on the outside for us if Polley leaves. Raw, a question at this point.

5. Shivers S - Not with us anymore.

6. Smoker, QB - Competing to be next year's back-up.

7. Jensen, TE - Hard to judge, missed the year with a knee injury.

7. Turner OL - Looked fairly good from what I saw when called upon.

While we might have needs at the same position, it's hardly because these guys turned out to be total failures. We have offensive line needs not because Turner is bad, but because he's an interior lineman and we need a right tackle. We have linebacker needs, but Chillar isn't a middle linebacker, where our real need is. We need a running back not because Jackson is a bust but because we need someone to spell him if Faulk retires in the next year or two. We need a DE not because Hargrove was a waste, but because Little might not be playing next year.

So, was the draft not successful, or are there other circumstances that are keeping some of these positions on the needs list?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramhard is offline Registered User

Nick, after reading your comments I may have been harsher than some of the circumstances warranted, and I think you are a little bit more opptimistic than I am on the following (see my comments in brackets)

1 Jackson RB - Showed tremendous ability and potential this season. Only concern is durability. [I'm not sold on him. Both the durability and something else seems to missing - fire? that you want a lead back to have... but I hope I'm wrong. Plus playing on the Dome's horrible turf makes knee durability a key issue]

3. Hargrove DE - Showed he has the physical tools to get the job done. What he did to Walter Jones in the playoffs on that one play has me optimistic. [yes, but I still think he is a year away, remember he sat out his last season. Of the draft picks I like this one the best]

4. Chillar LB - Could be starting on the outside for us if Polley leaves. Raw, a question at this point. [sure he may start because there is no one better, but he didn't show the physical nature you need, he seemed a little light ... once again hope I'm wrong]

5. Shivers S - Not with us anymore.

6. Smoker, QB - Competing to be next year's back-up.

7. Jensen, TE - Hard to judge, missed the year with a knee injury.

7. Turner OL - Looked fairly good from what I saw when called upon. [but I haven't seen any projections by the Rams or otherwise that he can step in]

I guess the difference is when I think of a good draft I hope to get these three things (1). a first rounder who can step right in and be counted on to produce; (2). your next pick solid - working in rotation, and a future starter; (3). at least one lower round surprise that starts and is a KEY contributor the 2nd year, not just a stop gap. Hate to bring them up again, but when you see teams like New England have lower picks and FA's starting and contributing heavily (rookies and 2nd years), then the old wait for 3 year adage may no longer hold with the salary cap.

You talk about getting a DE,But where in the hell was the push in the middle!That to me was a big minus!That push helps the boys on the outside reak havoc! And it shows how good the boys in back react and Pass coverage. We need down linemen who can play all year with the intensity and heart, Not one who seems to show promise every year at the end of the season! If I'm missing something ..........Please enlighten me! :disappoin

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like last year's draft. Jackson, Hargrove, Chillar and Turner will all contribute next year, and Smoker has potential to be an able backup to Bulger.

The biggest "miss" was Shivers, which is ironic as he was characterized by some "experts" on draft day as one of the "steals" of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I like last year's draft. Jackson, Hargrove, Chillar and Turner will all contribute next year, and Smoker has potential to be an able backup to Bulger.

The biggest "miss" was Shivers, which is ironic as he was characterized by some "experts" on draft day as one of the "steals" of the draft.
    He may be a miss to us, but he will contribute somewhere. He's got all the physical tools, just couldn't pick up Marmie's defense.

He was a steal on paper, but he couldn't do the mental part of the job...at least not under Marmie.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Well ,they must secure the O-line or Smoker may have a bigger role than you would think!

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    Well ,they must secure the O-line or Smoker may have a bigger role than you would think!
    Couldn't agree more, Theo. For the health of Bulger, O-line has to be the top priority.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I think we had an average draft, coulda been worse.
    Nick is right in pointing out that other circumstances require the need for similiar positions to be filled.

The biggest burden is on the FO. If they don't go out and aggressively get some non-draft talent, well, 2nd verse same as t