Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: Sam's Silver Linings - Week Two

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Sam's Silver Linings - Week Two

Eleven seconds into this week’s game, I was dreading the job of writing this week’s edition of “Sam’s Silver Linings”. After all, when the very first play of the game results in our best receiver fumbling the ball and the recovery leading to a touchdown for the opposing team, how can you find a silver lining? Fortunately, this was not an indication of how the rest of the game would go.

There was an overly-intense amount of hype going into this game. Apparently, there is some guy named Robert Griffin III that is supposed to be Michael Vick, Peyton Manning, and Iron Man all rolled into one, and he was in St. Louis last weekend. I kept watching for him, but didn’t see him but once or twice. I did, however, see a great quarterback by the name of Sam Bradford work his magic on the field. I also saw some so-called “no-name” receiver by the name of Danny Amendola kick some proverbial butt all day long.

The bad side of things this week is easy for everyone to see – starting with the first play of the game when Amendola fumbled. From there, things got worse. Steven Jackson was benched – some think it was because of his frustration he displayed by spiking the ball, but the coaches say it was due to a minor groin issue that they did not want aggravated by playing longer. Then there’s Saffold. Last week, we all thought he would be out for an extended period due to his neck injury. He came back this week, entered beast mode, and ended up with a MCL injury that will keep him off the field for a few weeks. Washington had some serious injuries – Adam Carriker, the former Ram, will end up spending yet another year rehabbing from season-ending injuries after suffering a torn quad that will require surgery. And Brian Orakpo will be sidelined the rest of the season after another torn pectoral muscle.

But even with injuries, this week has more than enough to be happy about…for instance, I haven’t seen a single person who thinks we should bench (or trade) Sam Bradford. Likewise, there have not been any “SOSAR” posts since before this weekend. Then there’s the TV sports analysts…it is so nice to see them having trouble finding anything to trash the Rams about.

With that being said, let’s get to this week’s top ten silver linings:

1. Danny Amendola. Does anything else really need to be said? Seriously, for those who complained that the Rams don’t have a true #1 wide receiver, let me ask: With Danny around, do we really need one?
    2. Daryl Richardson: Yes, he had a fumble, too. Guess what? He also had 15 carries for 83 yards. Every Rams fan has been waiting for the day when we find a decent backup to Steven Jackson. That day has arrived. Richardson has the talent and drive to be a starter in the NFL. We have him backing up one of the best running backs in the league – and we should all be celebrating.
    3. The fans: I don’t know exactly how many “Fisher ‘Staches” were in the stands last Sunday, but here in Springfield, 225 miles away from the Edward Jones Dome, I could hear the roar of the crowd. So much for the “Rams to L.A.” crowd claiming that the fans in St. Louis don’t deserve the Rams. Honestly, I don’t think the crowd had this much spirit since about 2004.
    4. Courtland Finnegan: Wow…I hope this guy’s attitude is just a little contagious. You can tell he doesn’t like to lose, but he handles it like a professional. He’s probably going to get some closer scrutiny by the refs (if he doesn’t get a fine). His style is starting to wear off onto Jenkins.
    5. Hekker and Legatron: Hekker had a beautiful 66 yard punt, his other punts were fantastic, and Legatron is perfect again. My question – what was Money’s name again?
    6. Jo-Lonn Dunbar: This guy is a beast. Seven solo tackles out there on Sunday. Fisher did good picking him up. I hope he stays around a few more years.
    7. Janoris Jenkins: That hit he put on Fred Davis caused a magnitude 6.8 quake down here in Springfield. I don’t know how he did it – but I loved it. I’m really surprised that he didn’t get flagged for that one.
    8. Matthew Mulligan: I honestly think this guy may be a combination of Steve Austin (the Six-million dollar man, not the Texas hero or the wrestler) and Judge Dredd. Blocking a punt, catching a TD pass – this guy was all over the field. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dr. Sheldon Cooper wearing a #82 jersey on the Big Bang Theory this season.
    9. Schottenheimer and Fisher: I thought the game plan that these two put together was great. I know quite a few people had reservations about Schottenheimer. After seeing what he can do, the only question left is “can he do it again?” Fisher was passionate about the game. It’s nice to see a coach with such intensity.
    10. Brandon Gibson: We’ve waited for a long time to see if Gibson was going to be a major player or not. We finally got to see that he does have what it takes – now he needs to keep it up.

As we head into Soldier Field this week, let’s hope our patchwork O-line can continue to hold together like they have the past two games, and that our defense can continue kicking butt. Believe it or not, on paper, it looks like the Rams and Bears are fairly evenly matched…up to a point. After that point, it’s advantage: Rams.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: Sam's Silver Linings - Week Two

Nice post! One thing though I was under the impression Hekker was dubbed 'Legatron' and Zuerlien kept his 'The Leg' or 'Young GZ'

Kinda like Legatron as he deserved it for that booming 66yarder out of the endzone.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Nice post! One thing though I was under the impression Hekker was dubbed 'Legatron' and Zuerlien kept his 'The Leg' or 'Young GZ'

Kinda like Legatron as he deserved it for that booming 66yarder out of the endzone.
    Well, no matter what - no one can argue that we have two of the best legs in the NFL. And I picked up that "Legatron" moniker from a local sports fan, so if I am wrong, I don't think it really makes a difference....lol.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Well if we go with Zuerlein as "Legatron" at least we can have Hekker called "Puntimus Prime"

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I thought Janoris would hear from the league office this week for sure. Has anyone heard anything?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    I thought Janoris would hear from the league office this week for sure. Has anyone heard anything?
    Fred Davis has been hearing a ringing in his ears ever since about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Golden Tate got his for the hit on Lee. So I guess he hasn't gotten one

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be surprised if Jenkins didn't get fined. He didn't launch himself at a guy with his arms up & away from his body (ie "defenseless") in the process of making the catch; Davis was turning ( a "football move" ) and trying to settle the ball. Looked to me like shoulder2shoulder initial contact. My test is always to ask if I'd have wanted a flag if it were a Ram who got hit. Maybe in the heat of the moment I'd have bellowed at my tv but on reflection, it just looked like an explosive beautifully-timed hit.

Totally agree with Sam on Schotty. We saw a lot of the things that were missing in game #1-probably because The Lions held the ball for so long & The Rams couldn't sustain drives when they did get it- like a diversified set of blitz beaters involving RBs & TEs.

The really impressive thing about this coaching staff is that they're playing guys without regard to draft status, seniority, or provenance. There's none of that ego-stained BS of McD trying to impose his guys & schemes at the expense of the team. And, it has to be said, those few guys that CAN be regarded as Schotty guys like B-Rich, Hunter, and Mulligan are already proving worthy of the coaches' favor.