HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Was San Diego a wake-up call?

Yes, it's preseason.....and yes it's not all against 1st stringers...however....

Since giving up the two 55-yard runs in SD, the Rams run defense finished the season with 77 attempts for 261 yards. That's a 3.38 ypc average. I'd take that in a heartbeat. Only the skins had a better average last regular season.

Now all the pessimists can save the "it's only preseason" and "they're backups" talk. I know. It's not proof positive that the run D has turned the corner, but it is at least a positive light to our previously dim run stopping.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Was San Diego a wake-up call?

Yeah I would be one of the pessimists that would say it preseason, but I would take how we have played in preseason vs. getting gashed in preseason and saying we will be fine come opening day. The front four have played well and so have the two acquisitions, together with Tino. I am more concerned about the CB getting burned. I hope we blitz non stop all year, no soft coverage, bring it from everywhere at any time.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

From the quotes I've read, it sounded like Martz/Marmie were trying some schemes on the defense in the first two preseason games which, particularly against the Chargers, were just not working.

In games 3 and 4, they seemed to stop the experimentation, and worked on solidifying both the starting lineups and the schemes.

It seems to have worked.

I'll tell you this much... if the Rams can limit their first three opponents (SF, AZ and TN) to 3.5 yards per carry or less, we should be very happy with the outcome of those games.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm not so sure that the San Diego game was a "wake up" call per se, but possibly a game that showed the Rams that they just can't show up and expect to play well.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Those defensive experiments was just Marmie fooling around with the zone blitz.He didnt know what he was doing and Martz stopped it.As far as I know,No one uses it any longer because its pretty much dead and stinking,kind of like the old 4-6 defence.As far as that goes,Jeff fisher is the only one using it.I did hear that the Ravens may use it along with the 4-3,but their just experimenting.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Whatever it was I hope not to see any of it in the regular season. But I would love to see a whole lot of the hard hitting that I saw in the last 2 preseason games.
    Sprtsmac :football:

maineram is offline Registered User

Three things worry me as far as Marmie's defense goes;

1. Will he have the right defense for that weeks opponent
    2. Will he make the right,(or even any), in game changes to the defense if they're getting hammered.
    3. Does he know how to prepare a defense for what a opponent brings.

I really don't know what to think, and have no confidence that the right things will happen.
    I'm hoping I'm just paraniod, and he's a defensive genius.

I guess we will be finding out starting this Sunday.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I'm not so sure that the San Diego game was a "wake up" call per se, but possibly a game that showed the Rams that they just can't show up and expect to play well.
    Ok, Tx, I've got to know....how was that stuff you said not a "wake up" call? I know it's just semantics, but the Rams realizing they just can't show up sounds like a wake up call to me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sbramfan is offline Registered User

1. Will he have the right defense for that weeks opponent
    2. Will he make the right,(or even any), in game changes to the defense if they're getting hammered.
    3. Does he know how to prepare a defense for what a opponent brings.
    Definitely Maineram....Against the Falcons, the real problem was that Marmie's game plan (which was by popular demand) was to contain the outside so that Vick could not get loose and take off. But we all know that the result was a disaster because with extra guys helping out on the outside, there was almost no-one behind the line, and when a RB got through, he was gone.

Almost as if he couldn't have created a worse plan.

I don't think you'll see any "genius" labels put on this guy anytime soon.

thoey is offline Registered User

Um... Really not trying to be a naysayer (I have a lot of hope going into this season), but how did those stats look for just the third game against Detroit? As we all know, a lot of teams starters barely play in the fourth preseason game.
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    Um... Really not trying to be a naysayer (I have a lot of hope going into this season), but how did those stats look for just the third game against Detroit? As we all know, a lot of teams starters barely play in the fourth preseason game.
    Ask and ye shall receive....

K. Jones 9 for 38 yards (4.2 ypc)
    J. White 3 for 13 yards (4.3 ypc)
    A. Pinner 2 for 8 yards (4 ypc)
    J. Harrington 1 for 6 yards (6 ypc)
    S. Bryson 2 for 1 yard (.5 ypc)

TOTAL 17 for 66 yards (3.8 ypc)

txramsfan is offline Registered User

A wake up call to me is to get beat by let's say the Browns as bad as the Chargers did to us in the preseason. Getting beat by a terrible team in the same way IS a wake up call. To get beat by a team like the Chargers who have the skill set to go all the way is a realization.

Hows that?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    A wake up call to me is to get beat by let's say the Browns as bad as the Chargers did to us in the preseason. Getting beat by a terrible team in the same way IS a wake up call. To get beat by a team like the Chargers who have the skill set to go all the way is a realization.

Hows that?
    Eh, close enough. To-mA-to, To-ma-to.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

If San Diego was a "wake up" call, then the RAMS must have over slept.

If the beating by the ****rs does not wake them up - then .... well... it will be a very very long season.